Architecture

superdupersang

Also, gonna echo an oft-heard topic of request - looking for a particular photo of the Villa dall'Ava. It's a B/W image of the spiral staircase, perspective from bottom and to the side, looking upwards. It's on p.153 of S, M, L, XL. I'll get around to scanning it off the book, if I can't find it online...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got out of a three hour chat/interview with a former partner at Behnisch + Partners and a close friend of Gunter Behnisch. Fascinating/charming old man. I took notes but he kept grabbing my notebook and doing his own little sketches and writing notes for me instead of letting me do it. Pretty neat.

and he had some less than charitable things to say about Stefan Behnisch and his business practices/relationship with his father etc etc.

I feel special.

Okay if that's the case I'd say the line weights read a tad heavy throughout and there is a level of detail that seems lost. You could definitely benefit from labeling all your drawings. I'm a supporter of no bullshit layouts like yours that really just let the work speak for itself but I think in your case it seems a little too empty. Basic labeling of plan, section, elevation, north arrow, scale, etc. etc. could definitely help you fill up the space a little better.

The simplicity of naming the project and having a small image before you show each project is good although I think the image could be a little bigger, particularly in the Knot House case, I find it sort of difficult to decipher that diagram. A few sentence description of the project might help on that page as well. General design intent, something like that would go well with the diagraming of the project to come in the lower right.

The Performing Arts Center project would be one that really benefits from labeling and line weight issues. The best part is definitely the "Man Who Fell To Earth" poster in the lobby. A+. The last board on that project, is 3 sections and an elevation and I'm a little confused by the bottom section. Is the building pushed really far into the ground? The large "wall" on the left that extends from the ground plane suggests this but it looks sort of like a building in the elevation above it. Maybe include a light poche on the sections?

The last project is missing that "key image" idea represented in the first 2 projects and could benefit from that consistency. Also I think a larger site plan drawing would be really nice for that project. Where it is in on a really zoomed out view of the river maybe if you have it.

Lastly, if you're going to go with the standardized blue color then I think you should make your name on the cover blue as well instead of that pink color. Although I do really like that pink color. Your call.

I would def. fix the surface style maps (tiling) on the PAC project; that stuff kills me and there's no excuse for it with the software these days.

Is this portfolio for job interviews? Grad school? Progress?

This may be a tumblr quip, but you have a huge amount of white space, and the way you're presenting the work is neither taking advantage of it (if that's the intention) or contrasting enough to make a real figure'ground type statement.

I echo Ordo's post.

Mr. Invincible is working on his as well......

Throw it on here Mr. I!

I agree about the surface style maps as well. It looks fine in the bottom one but the top one needs work.

I'll prep it for web viewing eventually when I have time. Major deadlines are inbound. The project I showed you when you came to Rumble Appleseed is up on UCLA's new website if you want to be nostalgic. Also check out the Rumble video if you have time. A keen eye will catch me trying not to laugh at Thom Mayne.

appleseed, this is for job interviews, grad school is donezo. I'm not planning on using the tumblr page for that.

your white space comment is interesting... I definitely err on the side of more white space than less (intentionally) but I agree it can be composed better in a lot of places

Funny. I was talking to Nate at my desk just now. He said you better be applying to grad school.

hahaha hilarious. tell him to get off my dick about that shit. i will apply for sure. just need some inspiration...

post your folio, cosgrove. and appleseed (and BUTTON UP YOUR SHIRT!)

and gl with whatever is due for you guys.

Shit, I've had a legit portfolio since grad school apps. And that was a long time ago.

re: white space; Works best if the image or subject is unconstrained / non-bounded and works itself into the blankness (think some Hernan-ish blob-form tentacles streaming out) OR if you have mono/duo tone type hard juxtaposition. Alternatively, fill up the white with more stuff....

Franklin, perused the Rumble page when it got sent to me, saw your 'thing' but missed you in the video. Will have to double check. I love nostalgia that is only 5 months old.

• 3 weeks later...