Architecture

superdupersang

IMO, as many have stated, there can be a pretty obvious divide in school. Intro/tech/3d classes will def. help you catch up, but a lot of the stuff ultimately comes from experience, which will still take time to develop. But while there may be some technical obstacles that people need to get over, coming from a different BA background can make for a more diverse M.Arch perspective. Architects / architecture students tend to become so myopic in their views, (even when they pretend that they aren't) that all the unfiltered voices can make for a much better discussion.

Yeah, you'll have to work a little harder in the beginning, but by the end most programs have evened out the experiential differences. I look back at some of my B.Arch work and just shake my head. And if/when you get a job, it'll all start over again, since every office does it differently then how you did it in school anyways.

I would like to take a moment to congratulate all those who graduated from the architecture program at UCLA today - especially those who are going on to Harvard and to fame and fortune and chicks and expensive limited edition Japanese running gear.

I would like to take a moment to congratulate all those who graduated from the architecture program at UCLA today - especially those who are going on to Harvard and to fame and fortune and chicks and expensive limited edition Japanese running gear.

is that you?

Me? no. One of my best little Superfuture buddies graduated though. My apologies for not including others in the congratulations - I was unaware others were graduating their programs today. Congratulations to all architecture graduates!

any architects in the LA/OC area needing photographs should contact me, I'm still building my portfolio so it'd be beneficial for both of us.

don't mean to plug but I figure there's not a lot of photographers on here who specialize in architectural photography so it's appropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

London is buzzing this summer/autumn with things that belong in this thread:

Junya Ishigami's installation, following on his Biennale piece, opened at the Barbican last week: http://aestheticamagazine.blogspot.com/2011/07/seeing-is-believing-junya-ishigami.html

Peter Zumthor's Summer Pavilion at the Serpentine opened on 1/7: http://www.dezeen.com/2011/07/06/serpentine-gallery-pavilion-2011-by-peter-zumthor-photographed-by-hufton-crow/

OMA/Progress opens at the main Barbican Gallery in October: http://www.barbican.org.uk/artgallery/event-detail.asp?ID=12472

I took an architectural drawing class in high school and while it's nowhere near what some of you want to do/have done, it did leave me with one important piece of advice--be sure to ask about the competency of the instructors, especially for introductory classes (in particular, if you're learning AutoCAD).

The guy I had was a terrible teacher. Great guy, and really good at teaching photography classes, but awful when it came to teaching AutoCAD and basic architectural terms/concepts. Every class was the same--he would go through a demonstration at a million miles per hour, fail to point out what was important, and then not answer questions well. The drawing book we used had nothing whatsoever to do with AutoCAD--it was an early 90s edition of the Thomas French introductory drawing book and basically had exercises for us to draw on the computers.

Needless to say, nobody really did too great in that class. The teacher retired a few years later and evidently his replacement was a bit better, but I think I heard they got rid of the course not long after I graduated.

I wish I would have found a book on AutoCAD at the library--would have probably helped quite a bit.

...or just work really hard. It's the time that pays off, not so much the instruction. Once you have the basics down, you just need to do it every day, all the time. That's how it goes for anything, IMO.

this seemed like the most relevant thread for this...I'm looking to buy a birthday present for my friend that's entering her 5th year of a b.arch program. Anyone have gift recommendations...maybe books you've found and really love, etc? I was considering a monograph of one of the firms she likes but thought that might be a bit too typical and generic as a gift. thanks for any help and +reps all around

She'd prolly be most happy if you landed her post-grad employment. (2)

Non-monograph arch. book suggestions are difficult without knowing what she's into. But EVERYONE can benefit from some dope detail/construction books.

Modern Construction Handbook.

The Andrew Watt series are decent and easily digestible for students / young professionals.

or an intern.

edit: also- does anyone have recommendations for relatively cheap notebooks they like? I need something unlined since i need to use it for both sketching and notetaking, probably no bigger than 8.5x11

preferably decent paper quality, good enough for markers/pens as well as pencils but still cheap enough that i can burn through it.

I laughed when I saw this diagram. It's Osama's compound. I really like that it looks just like a Richard Meier diagram:

Osama-compound.jpg

You can purchase a shirt too:

109987.jpg

Purchasable here. With this description:

When I first saw the diagram of Osama's compound, I thought: "that's a cool layout", almost like something you'd see in an architectural magazine. Then I thought, damn, I'm glad we caught that mofo and lets go get the rest of em. So I combined both ideas and came up with this shirt. Wear it with pride.

anyone here fucked with processing? trying to lift my grasshopper game (not that i enjoy it whatsoever) and was concurrently exposed to processing.

can someone spell out for my simply mind what processing is and how useful it might be to an architect? as opposed to rhino / grasshopper / etc.

http://toxiclibs.org/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As decent as the Seattle Central Library turned out, I'm so tired of OMA's 'diagram as architecture' line. Functionally, they are no different than most international corporate firms, and the turnover helps nothing (but (possibly) their bottom end). Most of their stuff I've seen in person (from the older era) was not detailed real well, and def. looks the part.

But I digress.

Looking forward to the merry-go-round, FranklinCosgrove.

ha, yeah he does that.

He spent a huge amount of time on the syllabus and I thought the 'project' is pretty straight forward by current comparison, so I'm surprised it came off like that. Glad you liked Scott's place; for as esoteric as his stuff is, he's a super-chill and nice guy.