Architecture

superdupersang

I'm using a Macbook pro, with Autocad running on bootcamp. One downside of bootcamp is the total lack of support for it.

What I do about the file sharing thing is I run Macdrive, which allows you to retrieve/edit files on the mac drive. Otherwise there's no way to touch any of the files on the mac through the windows. I hear parallels is good too, but I would imagine that would take up more cpu, what with running two OSes? Anyway that's what I use, it works for me.

So you wouldn't say it slows your efficiency? Doesn't seem to..

Can you elaborate on parallels / bootcamp / fusion and which is best to use?

Out of interest, why are you not running Sketchup on Mac?

i wouldnt say it slows down my effciency. I think i would a lot quicker when i have my windows apps open i can do my lay outs and do details at the same time. Also i would recommend you get at less 4 gbs of ram. I cant see neone running multiple power programs and not have the computer slow down.

I think if you want the best performance bootcamp is the number one choice, i really try not to run PS or illusator when i run autocad neways.

I found that Sketch on mac is rather glitchy on LEOPARD. Maybe its just my computer but i found it to be a bit of a hassle when working with large files. Also i use PODIUM for my rendering from sketchup and thats a windows only APP.

• 9 months later...

Surprisingly, there was no general architecture thread yet. So this is it.

What is your favourite building?

My top 3, in random order:

Rome, Palazzo della Civiltà del Lavoro (1943)

2298709312_ff510c21f4.jpg?v=0

3402050609_e91b9ffe2f.jpg?v=0

Normandy, France: Mont Saint-Michel. Medieval cloister garden on a roof, overlooking the see.

3402066197_75bece8c50.jpg?v=0

New York City: Guggenheim museum (1959)

3402884358_f2b4492e2b.jpg?v=0

my single favorite building is Row House at Sumiyoshi by Tadao Ando

streetexteriordz8.jpg

Exterior from street

isometricplanelevationre8.jpg

Isometric, plan and elevation

interioratriumav8.jpg

Interior of atrium

topexteriorth6.jpg

Top exterior

atriumraingt2.jpg

Atrium from roof during rain

this thread just pictures or discussion too?

down to discuss some stuff when I have time.

I live about 20 minutes from the Philip Johnson Glass House.

But other than that my dad's an architect.

I could write stuff, but I really don't know enough.

Love Rem Coolhaus, Gaetano Pesce, Preston Scott-Cohen, Lebbeus Woods, Bucky Fuller, and of course the eternal Frank Llod-Wright

wep1.jpg

niizeki studio 'shimokitazawa house' (i dont know if thats the actual name of it)

they seem to do a lot of isolated houses in highly populated areas.

this one in particular has no street facing windows. I haven't found very many good photos that show the layout of the house... but it looks to have a courtyard surrounded by windows into the house so it seems to have a lot of light inside even though it's lacking in windows.

has a very japanese feel and layout for a pretty modern/minimal structure

9uw4np.jpgnebw9g.jpg

nzqgde.jpg9lh5s9.jpg

518w0.jpg

I'm a total amateur myself.. I think architecture is everyone's property to have an opinion about, since it's on the streets, like fashion.

I like that house a lot habia. Looks rather small, am I right?

This yokohama airport looks brilliant. If you get stuck there for hours, it could get on your nerves though- not very Zen.

So is Japan the architecture country now? That would be very sufu :-)

I couldn't pick a favourite building, or even three of them; my list would number at least a score or more. Some of them are;

The TGV station in Avignon, France:

Avignon_tgv_station.jpg

The Millenium Centre in Cardiff, Wales:

800px-Wales_Millennium_Centre.jpg

The 'Gherkin' in London, England:

380px-30_St_Mary_Axe_-_The_Gherkin_from_Leadenhall_St_-_Nov_2006.jpg

'Falling Water' in Pennsylvania:

wright_falling_water.jpg

The 'Crooked Spire' in Chesterfield, England:

chesterfield-spire1.jpg

Bit of a mish-mash, as you can see.

Love Rem Coolhaus, ,,,

oh really? :D:o:):(:confused::mad::P;) kkkkkk

interesting though I now realize it shouldn't be too surprising that Japanese modernist architecture seems to be most popular here on superfuture.

also it's really cool to see what non-architects (you guys) choose as their favorite works. bishibashi made a great point about the Yokohama Ferry Terminal- it just looks cool. Ignoring program or tectonic (favorite arch word), for a work to have immediate impact on the design community or society as a whole it must appeal to aesthetics; must tap into some component of human visual appreciation and wonder.

here is one design issue I have been grappling with for a while, don't really have a good answer yet:

what is intersection of ego and service in terms of designer-client relations? When does the designer really know best and when does the designer need to set aside personal leanings and serve the client?

the designer's ultimate job is to make the client happy, although the designer should also take initiative and "sell" their idea to the client and at the very least come to a compromise. extensive dialogue with the client is a must, of course, to reach the point where both parties are content with the outcome.

edit: should preface this post with "my opinion" :)

There was an interview in a local newpaper the other day with Dutch architect Pi de Bruijn. He has turned towards a way of building in which aesthetics are not as important as the impact that the building has on its environment, and most importantly how the building functions for its users.

He had come across a 19th-century architect, a typical bourgeois, who has said "with me, you can order any style". Pi de Bruijn said that he want this to be his credo in the future.

Instead, the ceo's desired Japan-style curved shapes, that will stand in isolation from their surroundings.

I think he has a point, certainly where offices and apartment blocks are concerned.

what abt buildings you don't like/disappointed with?

mine would be the recent SANAA Museum in NYC.

1NewMuseum.jpg

even though i like the simple minimalist style of every Japanese architect out there, this was really too simple and boring on the inside. it seems unfinished and the circulation throughout the building is disjointed.

That last one is INSANE, is it even real!?

I restricted my choice to places I've actually been, and my favorite is probably the Gare de Lyon at Saint-Exupery airport.

386708068_349eb1af8d.jpg

386708078_9e23b82986.jpg

dscf0114.jpg

Probably the most imposing building I've ever seen, it completely dominates everything in sight.