Nikon D700 vs Canon 5D Mark II

the 5D has great low-light ability and is really user friendly in the still photo mode.

the HD video thing is fun, until you want to take it seriously, because it leaves you with little control. tried it with some zooms, some primes, and some old FD lenses with manual apertures. its a headache.

i've been using it for video mostly, but it holds its own compared to my other mark III in stills.

can't beat the price too.

• 2 weeks later...

canon and nikon's primes are all a bit lacking at their widest apertures, to say the least. both systems need to do some serious updating when it comes to prime lenses, especially now that sensors are in the 20+ mp range.

that said, if you're not deep into a lens system, i'd go with the nikon. canon is either not going to offer a compact 1-series body at all or it's going to drag its heels as much as possible. nikon gives you a solid, compact body, and has the best sensor around (in the d3x, and coming soon to the d700x).