Warehouse

Medine

I find the whole graphic T-shirt thing to be a bit silly as well. The older I get the more I shy away from graphics on my tees/sweats/whatever, but since WH offers these as plain versions as well, it seems easy enough to get exactly what you want.

I think it's hard to really grasp the whole mindset behind the appeal of that stuff if you weren't a Japanese teenager in the 80s basking in the exciting world of buying cool vintage stuff in cool thrift stores, fresh off the boat from America. I think to the (mostly older) Japanese buyers there's a heavy amount of nostalgia that goes into all this which is really tough for us to approximate. It's funny to think that if my Dad had kept his Houston Second Baptist Church men's basketball team T-shirts instead of cutting them into rags to use for putting polyurethane finish on woodworking projects, some Japanese guy would probably have bought them for a hundred bucks apiece on eBay decades later.

By the way, what's up with the parenthetical (1000xx) on some WH jeans? For instance, the Lot S1003XX(1000XX) available for preorder. 

Edited by Cold Summer

18 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I think it's hard to really grasp the whole mindset behind the appeal of that stuff if you weren't a Japanese teenager in the 80s basking in the exciting world of buying cool vintage stuff in cool thrift stores, fresh off the boat from America. I think to the (mostly older) Japanese buyers there's a heavy amount of nostalgia that goes into all this which is really tough for us to approximate. 

Yea definitely this makes sense! But also makes me feel like I should have held on to a lot of stuff from years ago to sell haha. I've always thought the whole Amekaji thing was really interesting from a sociological perspective (going back to WW2) but have never totally clicked with it mostly for that reason I guess. I mean, I love good jeans, and that's where they make a lot of good jeans - so that's the primary appeal for me personally. And right now Warehouse makes the arguably the best (old model) Levi's you can get, that's a reason I like them. 

No clue on the naming conventions. 

Thanks for the insights. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine
clarity

9 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion here but I really am not into all the repro school tees. Maybe it's that I could go to a thrift shop and get the real thing - sometimes of the exact same school/mascot no joke - for way less money. This stuff is way easier to come by than some vintage Levi's. Love their denim - and more importantly their denim fills a space in part because the thing it reproduces so well is also so scarce - the rest just sorta dilutes the brand IMO. 

8 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I didn't mean my town, I meant the US generally - and granted that's not the intended market for these things, but I still honestly get a little perplexed by the draw to the aesthetics of these things, but to each their own there.

I don't think you understand what warehouse is reproducing. Do you follow the vintage market at all?  That is definitely not the case in the US generally and I doubt your local thrift store has a single graphic tee from the 50s or 60s in it right now.

Tees are a huge part of what specialty american vintage dealers sell domestically, not just to japan. Original graphic tees from the 40s 50s 60s are in high demand and often sell for 5x what warehouse charges for repro tees.

I've been enjoying my RMC 002 Lee's and my 1011 jacket a lot lately, been making me want to pick up more Lee stuff.

Would love to get my hands on a 1012 jacket, either from the old Lee Japan run, or this newest WH release. But WH always sells so fast! 

11 hours ago, xav22 said:

I don't think you understand what warehouse is reproducing. Do you follow the vintage market at all?  That is definitely not the case in the US generally and I doubt your local thrift store has a single graphic tee from the 50s or 60s in it right now.

Tees are a huge part of what specialty american vintage dealers sell domestically, not just to japan. Original graphic tees from the 40s 50s 60s are in high demand and often sell for 5x what warehouse charges for repro tees.

@xav22 You're kind of correct. But I understand what Warehouse is doing - I would just say I don't appreciate it like many other vintage heads would - and I mean that in the sense that I am not interested in why the shirts are period accurate etc. Sort of like how I know I know I don't appreciate the difference in details between one model year and another of Levi's - at least compared to many here. I actually have basically zero interest in actual Levi's and never really have. I appreciate the WH jeans I do have because the cut is great, the denim is nice, and the design is appealing, I know they are serious about their craft - and only after that do I appreciate that they're closer to Levi's I may have actually been interested in were they readily available in my time.

I come to this from another angle I know. What got me into denim in the first place years ago had nothing to do with repro or vintage - it was an attempt to patronize small clothing makers who made things in more transparent workplace conditions that would also justify higher prices by being worn a ton and lasting a long time - and also made stuff that was just a better version of my admittedly pretty tame and routine wardrobe. The interest has since expanded a bit. But yes - I know that vintage stuff from 70 years ago has a different scarcity than old school gear from 20 years ago - but again, my reference point is one where that difference isn't particularly meaningful to me or appealing. They've reproduced gear from an actual school I attended and left many a thrashed gym t shirt behind - and where maybe that specific shirt is hard to find but an old shirt that represents the same thing and looks similar enough is a dime a dozen and to be honest I just thought it was sort of bizarre and funny. One man's trash, as they say. And that's how it struck me. Which I know will find strong disagreement, but that's fine in a hobby forum as far as I see it.   

Sort of why I said to each their own, and I'm aware I'm not the intended audience.  

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

@xav22 You're kind of correct. But I understand what Warehouse is doing - I would just say I don't appreciate it like many other vintage heads would - and I mean that in the sense that I am not interested in why the shirts are period accurate etc. Sort of like how I know I know I don't appreciate the difference in details between one model year and another of Levi's - at least compared to many here. I actually have basically zero interest in actual Levi's and never really have. I appreciate the WH jeans I do have because the cut is great, the denim is nice, and the design is appealing, I know they are serious about their craft - and only after that do I appreciate that they're closer to Levi's I may have actually been interested in were they readily available in my time.

I come to this from another angle I know. What got me into denim in the first place years ago had nothing to do with repro or vintage - it was an attempt to patronize small clothing makers who made things in more transparent workplace conditions that would also justify higher prices by being worn a ton and lasting a long time - and also made stuff that was just a better version of my admittedly pretty tame and routine wardrobe. The interest has since expanded a bit. But yes - I know that vintage stuff from 70 years ago has a different scarcity than old school gear from 20 years ago - but again, my reference point is one where that difference isn't particularly meaningful to me or appealing. They've reproduced gear from an actual school I attended and left many a thrashed gym t shirt behind - and where maybe that specific shirt is hard to find but an old shirt that represents the same thing and looks similar enough is a dime a dozen and to be honest I just thought it was sort of bizarre and funny. One man's trash, as they say. And that's how it struck me. Which I know will find strong disagreement, but that's fine in a hobby forum as far as I see it.   

Sort of why I said to each their own, and I'm aware I'm not the intended audience.  

No strong disagreement mate, it doesn't bother me that you don't find the differences between contemporary and vintage clothing meaningful... most people don't. Your comments and perspective make sense considering you have zero interest in vintage clothing.

10 hours ago, MJF9 said:

^ seconded / here hear

Anyone going for the Lee repro tux?

I'm keen to live vicariously only on this one

I have been wearing my TCB catboy with them here and there. I would love the correct model to go with them but *I am going to refrain from spending much more on denim this year (voice cracking)*

As for where I picked these up @JMS are long sold out. I checked google yesterday and saw a few shops with remaining stock available 

Thanks @Flash @beautiful_FrEaK

I am pleased with the arse most of all :P

7 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

You might like the 14.5 oz Memphis denim Flash, they make the 1001 with it occasionally (and of course, it's always used on the 800xx.) Starts out darker, has a deeper sort of shade to it. This is a great example of how it ages.

Yes I prefer that denim , still have an old pair of 660 somewhere in the house 

Looking forward to wearing my 25th 1946 , that denim starts out darker and has a really nice texture ... quite subtle but grainy 

what's sizing for the 800XX? I've seen some descriptions to size up 1-2 sizes. Size charts for 1 wash/rinsed seem like the waist runs a little small. I usually wear a 34 in most brands/cuts. Sizing up to a 36 to get the waist seems like it would be big everywhere else.