Sneakers/Gear NOT Made in China

RedFoxxworth

This morning I saw a pair of $200 Ice Creams.

They are made in China.

$200. Made in China. You know what, FUCK CHINA.

I'm so sick of buying expensive shit made in China. China is the antithesis of quality. They can make my shitty DVD player but I'll be damned if I buy another pair of bullshit "cool guy" sneakers made in China, and that includes Nikes.

My question: Are there any brands that specifically DON'T make their shit in China? I feel like even the designer shit is leaving Italy more and more. I don't care how expensive. I just need sneakers that aren't made in a factory by people paid as much in a year as I make in a day.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

yeah, i kindof agree it's ridiculous to pay a premium price for something that was made for under minimum wage. Alot of what comes out of china, or any other cheap labor country is questionable quality, but they do and can do really, really good quality too. From what i hear their government supports their garment industry-grants for equipment,laws, etc. and so does ours(US) too in a way.

i believe just the New bal 991 are made in us-- mad comfortable

bought my dad some New Balance 990's last x'mas. they were made in USA.. $100.00 but he wears em all the time, so it's worth it.

I try not to get into the whole politics/ethics of made usa/china/italy/etc. but when you are running a biz, the bottom line says it all, and if you have to cut production costs to get you out the red, then China/India/etc. it is.

I lost my job to "OUTSOURCING" to india. yeah i was pissed, but the company needed to balance thier budget, and it was the most economical way. too bad thier new products look crappy; but maybe thats my pride speaking.

anyhow, even good ole' american Levis arent made in the USA.

"I have to go on a diet so I can fit Euro fashion.."

I agree that obviously due to the low labour costs it is a little unethical, However if we are on the subject of low labour costs and Italy then this has been a myth for years !! The words on the label100 % WOOL MADE IN ITALY for example put on clothing from Designer brands. What happens is the fabric yes is made in Italy as it states but the goods are usually made in Romania or Croatia for a fraction of the cost.

I have lived and worked in China for over 3 years and have been involved in production here the standards in factories producing the High quality labels are very high with extremly good QC.

I do always prefer things to be made in Italy/EU/US but cost factors dont always allow it and as a consumer I dont want to pay through the Nose for goods as I am sure u dont too.

I have to say that this is the CRAZY thing is that Marc Jacobs / Ralph Lauren which make most of his Diffusion lines in China are actually more expensive here than in the US and Europe due to Luxury tax.

However I bought a pair of Kim Jones Umbro Kicks that are sweet and 100% Genuine for

$ 40 and a Jean Paul Gaultier Leather jacket which retails for about $1000 for $ 150.

Chinese quality is good and only getting better, Remember when Made in Japan was looked down on now we strive to buy Made in Japan goods and pay a premium. China has a bright future for the fashion world my friends.

Sorry about the blurb.

Peace

Quote:

They are made in China.

I'm so sick of buying expensive shit made in China. China is the antithesis of quality. They can make my shitty DVD player but I'll be damned if I buy another pair of bullshit "cool guy" sneakers made in China, and that includes Nikes.

My question: Are there any brands that specifically DON'T make their shit in China? I feel like even the designer shit is leaving Italy more and more. I don't care how expensive. I just need sneakers that aren't made in a factory by people paid as much in a year as I make in a day.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Jan 16, 2006 12:55 PM

I think you'd be very surprised at the level of quality that Chinese factories are capable of. Many, many things are made in China.... and done so very, very well. I really would not be too concerned with the quality of a good made in China (of course, if you have issues regarding the cost of labor in China, then that's a different story).

I do understand, of course, that "made in China" has a certain stigma, but I think that will soon disappear (especially as more and more and more and more goods are made in China).

You know what making a pair of shoes for $1 with Chinese labor and then selling it for $200 to people who will gladly pay that price is?...

.. good business sense icon_smile_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

They are made in China.

I think you'd be very surprised at the level of quality that Chinese factories are capable of. Many, many things are made in China.... and done so very, very well. I really would not be too concerned with the quality of a good made in China (of course, if you have issues regarding the cost of labor in China, then that's a different story).

I do understand, of course, that "made in China" has a certain stigma, but I think that will soon disappear (especially as more and more and more and more goods are made in China).

You know what making a pair of shoes for $1 with Chinese labor and then selling it for $200 to people who will gladly pay that price is?...

.. good business sense icon_smile_wink.gif

--- Original message by minya on Jan 16, 2006 02:54 PM

^ I agree. The thing is, production quality is so up to par and in some cases better overseas in places like china now, it's the only way to survive. Especially with things like electronics. It's a bit of a catch 22. Consumers are pressuring manufacturers for better prices, yet are turned off by things like made in china, where many of these companies can get products well made and pass certain savings onto the consumer.

i'd rather not assume a product is inferior due to the tag which says where it's made.

just focus on the actual product.... seriously... you should be able to tell thru stiching, fabric etc... whether something is good or not...

and if your actually looking at icecreams... that might be the real problem, not where it is made.

Quote:

They are made in China.

the problem isnt Made In China.

the problem is you looking at a pair of Ice Creams... and giving a shit (no offence thats not an attack on you... just a general statement).

its a dead horse beaten to raw burger but:

just because it says Made In Italy doesnt really mean its of good quality.

just because it says Made In China doesnt mean its of poor quality.

just because your favorite denim jeans says Made In Japan...... doesnt always mean the denim fabric is actually japanese denim. the fabric could very likely have been made in china or hong kong.

bottom line, doesnt matter where the fuck its made. only matters if its good or not. and if you cant tell with your own eyes whether a product is of good quality without judging based on the country of manufacture.... well then, you really shouldnt be complaining.

Edited by Meth Huffer on Jan 16, 2006 at 03:33 PM

Thank you to everyone who gave me brands.

I concede to those who say that China can make high quality items. You are right. But with the labor wages and effect on US economy, I'm going to say that this decision is more than anything politically/ethically/stop dicking me over for money motivated. I don't mind paying for quality but I do mind paying for rediculous profit margins (i.e. moving a country's production to China but not lowering the price of the item i.e. Lacoste moving to South America from France.) So I take back my "China is the antithesis of quality" statement.

I absolutely am NOT trying to buy Ice Creams and never was and never will, please make a mental note.

I was just shocked at a $200 price tag when I know they cost $3 to make. But I guess this is the way it is with alot of things...

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Quote:

Thank you to everyone who gave me brands.

I concede to those who say that China can make high quality items. You are right. But with the labor wages and effect on US economy, I'm going to say that this decision is more than anything politically/ethically/stop dicking me over for money motivated. I don't mind paying for quality but I do mind paying for rediculous profit margins (i.e. moving a country's production to China but not lowering the price of the item i.e. Lacoste moving to South America from France.) So I take back my "China is the antithesis of quality" statement.

I absolutely am NOT trying to buy Ice Creams and never was and never will, please make a mental note.

I was just shocked at a $200 price tag when I know they cost $3 to make. But I guess this is the way it is with alot of things...

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Jan 16, 2006 04:01 PM

I'm currently reading a textbook for an international political economy course as I'm writing this reply... haha... how appropriate.

If you're interested in understanding more about the implications of global markets, increasing economic interconnectedness and its political ramifications (and the viewpoints that see these things as good, or bad), do some research into international political economy. Very interesting.

honestly..

New Balance's entire Tier One line is made either in England or Boston.

the quality is so high, that no other sneaker company can touch it.

everything from the quality of the materials to how comfortable they are is tops.

new balance is gonna blow up in 06.

:)

-k

^^agree, new balance is going to go big

Quote: I concede to those who say that China can make high quality items. You are right. But with the labor wages and effect on US economy, I'm going to say that this decision is more than anything politically/ethically/stop dicking me over for money motivated. I don't mind paying for quality but I do mind paying for rediculous profit margins (i.e. moving a country's production to China but not lowering the price of the item i.e. Lacoste moving to South America from France.) So I take back my "China is the antithesis of quality" statement.

Personally, and this is solely my opinion, it seems unbalanced and unfair that a large number (note: i didn't say majority or in general or all) of people base their arguments against goods in China based on the fact that it threatens the US economy. They will concede that the goods are just as high a quality, sometimes better, and they recognize that its simply a matter of business sense that drives the mark-ups. (1500 for a pair of dsquared jeans is ok?)

Even though many of the workers are paid under minimum wage in the US, it has to be taken in context. The culture and lifestyle they live in China is much much different than in the US, and while those in the US think its wrong, in a way, who are they to say so? Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't agree with many of the labor violations, but then again, these are the violations of the US code, and why are they right?

It just irks me when people (not necessarily you foxxworth, just ranting now) seem to form a prejudice against China due to their fear of the whole "superpower"thing, wish they (and the chinese) would realize that its this whole contest is what drives people to form premature and unwarranted ideas and biases towards countries, and inevitably, people and cultures.

My hippie rant, apologies.

nairb49

in my opinion, the problem with buying items from china is its just leading to a more competitive economy, and may eventually lead to no quality at all. in an extreme view, it may lead to the fall of capatalism. which means the fall of the U.S.

Massive global trade does not indicate the fall of capitalism. As long as there are wealthy people in the world, there will be products for them to buy. Quality may decrease in certain sectors (like clothing sold at Walmart, because low price leaders demand the lowest possible cost), but as new manufacturing technologies are implemented and standards remain high, things should get better.

haha, i remember reading a story about how new balance sued one of their former chinese contractors. apparently, after NB nulled their business relationship the factory continued to produce NBs for their own distro and sales. it may be cheap to manufacture there but there are NO rules in china! scary thought.

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5508

Quote:

haha, i remember reading a story about how new balance sued one of their former chinese contractors. apparently, after NB nulled their business relationship the factory continued to produce NBs for their own distro and sales. it may be cheap to manufacture there but there are NO rules in china! scary thought.

--- Original message by sr20det on Jan 17, 2006 09:29 AM

Yeah thats one of the practices that is very worrying. The factory fills the order and then keeps on producing goods to sold illegally. So they are real, but not? Do they notch down the quality after the actual order?

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by sr20det on Jan 17, 2006 09:29 AM

Yeah thats one of the practices that is very worrying. The factory fills the order and then keeps on producing goods to sold illegally. So they are real, but not? Do they notch down the quality after the actual order?

--- Original message by andewhall on Jan 17, 2006 03:30 PM

thats actually the true definition of the term Factory Variant (this word is not synonymous with "Fake"). it's illegally made product outside of the initial production run. they are made in the real factories using real parts etc but they bypass any sort of quality control and dont always follow 100% true to the original design or cut&sew. so yeah, the quality on factory variants are notched down and sold into the black market.