Varsity Jackets

down4nyhc

^ if you're looking for a size medium, there's one on supermarket

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=148796&p=

dismalfuture: regular sleeves are nicer than raglan on a varsity i think

if you offer gray (the shade of the sample was pretty good), nave, and black, you'll have the initial bases covered. that dark red varsity with the light red sleeves was ill, but i think youre better off focusing on basics.

unsure about striped vs mono ribbing, i think i'd go with mono but i'm sure many will want striped

Striped ribbing? Solid ribbing? I am not 100% pleased with the ribbing on the sample, I feel like I might go to the textiles district tomorrow and buy a bulk of something better, like a sweater knit. Chunky, or not chunky?

What color bodies are you guys interested in? Reading through the thread, everyone wants something different, but seems to like black or navy as well. If you had all those choices I mentioned before, what color would you specify personally, keeping in mind it will be white sleeves/white snaps/white pocket flashing, etc?

I think the fold over collar suits the regular set sleeve more, but I do still like the raglan sleeve. The ribbing is nice with stripes, thickly knit, running not longer than 2".

I am actually gonna address that today. I am going to my other (gentleman's) tailor to see if he can make a NEXT LEVEL varsity. I might have to raise the price a slight bit but I am thinking I can get the fit I'm looking for there... and there's a few more details I wanted to add. I'll post progress, but you guys keep giving me color scheme feedback and stuff.

I'm not trying to make something passable here, I want it to be like NICE, for any price.

BTW I know I'm lagging on this project, but I was late out of the gate anyway so I figure I might as well take the extra few days to make the thing perfect and make something everyone is happy with and that I'm proud of.

In a nutshell, I want to make a varsity with:

-a 'tailored' fashionable fit and a sturdy construction of the quality we are all used to on these boards, or better

-materials that are far north of the norm you get in a run of the mill varsity, delving into finer textiles that are normally reserved for tailored wear, i.e. coat wool, shirting fabrics, better leather

-a classic design that will age nicely but also not bore us to death

another vote for maroon/off white.

freshest colourway for a varsity imo.

and i think the design should be kept as classic as possible.

its all about the fit really for a varsity.

agree. Im probably gonna end up going navy or gray

This is gonna be awwwwesome

Okay... I've made a little more headway on this project, it's a day by day thing.

I've talked to my people, we're now all in agreement on what we're going for here, and now I've just gotta collect textile and cut the pattern myself now.

That means that initially, there will be a single colorway, but it will be very nice and a little further down the road, another color option will be added. It didn't seem like too many of you were interested in purple or green or other kinds of colors so I will not offer those anymore.

MTM service: I am going to sort out and finalize my TOJ block soon, and suffice it to say, it's gonna be slim. If you were looking for something really big armed, I think there are plenty of good alternatives. For now, the adjustable measurement on our piece will be sleeve length, but the rest will be made to house specs to ensure that everyone gets the look.

New details:

I am completely revamping the textile choice; it will be made from an overcoat-quality wool with a much smoother finer hand, and glove-quality lambskin arms, with a shirting cotton lining. This will all add up to a much lighter weight jacket, which is what I wanted originally. A good 3-season jacket that is light enough to wear this summer at night, etc. The tighter weave of the wool and tighter density grain of the lambskin will allow for a bit better water repellancy and wind stopping as well.

I think it will turn into a much, much finer looking and feeling jacket than sample v.1 form a couple pages back and check off everything on my checklist; fit, material, quality, look.

Few more days as I re-do this from the ground up...