Varsity Jackets

down4nyhc

X-Posted..

My Flat Head Varsity jacket.. wore it yesterday and shit.

At the SF Giants game..

3567272471_4fa735ebcc.jpg

the jacket looks so nice, i wish i had the money

dismal hyung i am willing to hook you up with young high school poon for one of those

please send me fit pics of high school poon... er actually no nevermind.

I set the price so all yall niggaz can cop some, I can't pay yall to wear my clothes.

dismal, send me a free sample so I can advertise in WAYWT.

and for everyone who said they can't afford one,

get a summer job,

or a credit card,

or a rich girlfriend,

you can thank me in the fall.

Please tell me where the free cashmere and free lambskin store is and I'll whip that up.

OK, waiting for measurements before copping...

However, could you do a similar jacket in this colorway which is something I been looking for ages:

183590025.2.jpg

Also could I get the sleeves shortened for my one?.

Easily done my dude. Hang tight for my measurement chart. We're in the midst of a heat wave here so all I can be fucked to do this week is drink margaritas and make bacon, but I bought more sturdy pattern making boards and am gonna cut my sizes tomorrow...... if people start posting back in this thread with the following info:

-Your standard jacket size that you would consider yourself

-Shoulder to shoulder in inches

-Sleeve, from shoulder point to wrist, in inches

My jacket fit trim but still allows for some differences in chest size due to cut, so I'm not gonna worry about that measurement, it'll go in proportion with the shoulders.

if people start posting back in this thread with the following info:

My jacket fit trim but still allows for some differences in chest size due to cut, so I'm not gonna worry about that measurement, it'll go in proportion with the shoulders.

-46/36 same thing

Easily done my dude. Hang tight for my measurement chart. We're in the midst of a heat wave here so all I can be fucked to do this week is drink margaritas and make bacon, but I bought more sturdy pattern making boards and am gonna cut my sizes tomorrow...... if people start posting back in this thread with the following info:

dismal, i feel like you need to perfect the cut a bit more. i know a varsity is supposed to fit like that, but considering the rest of the proportions i feel like the jacket is getting too much of that balloon effect over the waist ribbing.

dismal, i feel like you need to perfect the cut a bit more. i know a varsity is supposed to fit like that, but considering the rest of the proportions i feel like the jacket is getting too much of that balloon effect over the waist ribbing.
^ I feel the same, this is why I need more fit pics.

In the pic below I am really not feeling the way the jacket connects the two halves, especially the way the part with the buttons almost seems to go below the ribbing.

I agree on the balloon effect thing, it seems that everybody wants the jacket pretty fitted, and the balloon on effect on the hips isn't ideal. Im all for the foldover collar+arm ribbing though.

I don't really understand what you're saying mystelious; I think you're trying to say that the jacket jumps up a bit in places or something? That is just because the jacket is new, hasn't been worn, and is completely hand-made, so it just needs a little time to relax on the body.

the balloon effect though, that is two things. One, I am really, really skinny/ kinda wide shouldered/super skinny long arms. (5'9 and 125 lbs, that's like 175cm/56 kilos or something. My proportions are kinda odd; nothing is ever fitted around my waist, etc. I make a poor model for my stuff, I guess.

Second, the rib knit, the guy who makes these, that is just his style, a tight rib knit that stretches, with a slightly loose ruffledness. Once the piece is on, it stretches normally and I think it's kinda cozy to wear.

I myself like the balloon effect over the rib; i think a spray-on tight jacket would look cheap and not last you very long. It costs me the same to make any cut really, so I thought I'd bring something to the table that would be less trendy and be a little more lasting.

For you guys looking for insanely tight, go grab a HARE or something, I think there might be several different expectations of fit here, I can only really deliver one. I think what some people wanted was a Dior Homme leather jacket's sleeves attached to a super square, tight wool body, but that is both deceivingly difficult to do because of the material combinations, and also as I said, I think it would ultimately look cheap.

I intended to bring something that is undoubtedly a varsity jacket, but at the same time, I wanted to refine the fit with something a bit more stylish, ie not a Skookum or what you'd buy at a thrift. Some of you guys will think the arms are too loose, some of you will think they're too tight, I can't please everyone with the pattern, but I also think that once you live with it for awhile, you'll like it. The curved banana arms can look different at many different angles, as I said; slim from the front/back, very 'normal' and relaxed from the side view, roomy feeling overall, but hanging off the shoulder square and with a bit more life in the shape, rather than a straight cut arm.

I personally don't think that varsity jackets lend themselves to a super-fitted style, I think there needs to be some degree of relaxation in the fit. I do agree that Skookums or traditional American jackets are too big for us, but I'm not making a super trendy-tight hella hyphy jacket.

yeah yo. it's slim enough as is, that's why i'm perfectly fine with the fit. if you make it too tight shit would just be too trendy and be a waste of money once you outgrow it. it's a classic, timeless piece that i want to keep on wearing and be able to fit even if i put on a couple pounds as a i get older.

Nah, its perfect, and you described and put it perfectly in the above post. Shit is just right, definetely going to get one. Would you do white sleeves, with black body, and a white stripe in the ribbing of cuffs and bottom?

I have decided, BTW, to mix and match the black/cream samples measurements a bit and make what I was considering a 46 before into a small 48, and I will lengthen the body a bit more, meaning your body will bie more fitted and the arms will probably fill out the sleeves a little more than I do on the sample. This will probably deliver what a lot of people were expecting from the fit, and I will probably rescale all the patterns from that.

Here's a couple other outtake fit photos I posted the other day, as you can see, it's not super restricting in the pits, but with the arms down, that extra fabric shifts to the back and gets lost, if that makes any sense.

A bit of a side view on the arms too:

4621_741573428900_15904009_42372943_563485_n.jpg

4621_741573433890_15904009_42372944_1599145_n.jpg

4621_741573438880_15904009_42372945_8008711_n.jpg

But yeah, I am thinking this sample (which I originally had thought a 46, I will move up to be a 48, and lengthen the body more on it. The 46 and 44 will be smaller in all areas.

like i said dismal, i know it's supposed to do that and i am by no means asking for hare proportions, i just think that the balloon effect needs to be softened a bit as is. my guess is that the jacket has 22 or 23 inches in the chest from the pics you have posted. you could post some measurements already.

This has probably already been mentioned but when do you expect these to be available? Would definitely like to cop one once you have everything in order.

soon, real soon. I'm pattern cutting, also hoping to meet up with some sufu people really soon so they can check it out and give me some feedback after seeing the sample in the flesh before I start sending these things worldwide.