Varsity Jackets

down4nyhc

also, for the people who seriously plan on getting a TOJ varsity when they become available, what sizes are you? I need to know so I can scale the patterns accordingly.

also, for the people who seriously plan on getting a TOJ varsity when they become available, what sizes are you? I need to know so I can scale the patterns accordingly.

depending on the final measurements I would be between a 50 and 52

I think if you do 44, 46, 48, 50 and 52 you will cover most bases

hate to say it, but you guys probably already knew..

a 44/46 will probably be the first size out of the gate, it will be what the sample is made in, and the first workable block. I will probably have to make a little money/do size research before i can go get the 48, 50, 52 patterns scaled professionally, but it won't be more tha na week or so.

We're not Lad Musician though, so don't worry if you're bigger than a 44/46, you're not going home empty handed

Just got in after running around the world's largest textile market/fuckshow, it was a real headache. I kind of got some bearings, bought some workable fabrics, but need tomorrow morning to finish up the shopping part of it.

Pattern is made. It is a true 46 for now, I'll get the sample made from that and then I'll take input on scaling it up/down for different sizes.

I got a nice chunky rib knit trim in grey heather. How do you guys feel about medium grey melange wool, grey melange knit trim? pure white sleeves. It would look very much like the TOJ v1 sample I posted, but of course I'm gonna take the fabric quality up several notches.

If not... my dream colorway I have in mind for the first ones is dark steel blue topcoat wool, same color rib knit, off-white sleeves. If there are no button snaps available in off-white (which I'm finding might be the case? TBA), how would you guys feel about conventional buttons in cream to match the cream leather? Like an old baseball jacket.

I had a real shitshow of a time trying to find that dark steel grey color rib knit but I'll make a second go at it, it's seriously a shopping mall sized 4-building complex with 5' X 5' cubicles each selling hundreds of totally unique fabrics, so it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

I've worked out a nice lining scheme and got the fabrics for that. RE: patches and emblems, the exterior will be plain. The lining will hopefully have the TOJ logo tag inside if I can find a legit place to do it.

Anyhow, made some progress today and the sample and orderable dimensions are forthcoming, very soon....

Sounds like everything coming together nicely, through a large amount of effort on your part. It may just be me but i really believe striping (preferably double) with the striping matching the arm color is what can make or break the varsity jacket. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the progression of this particular piece.

Edit:

I'd like to offer up my ideal colorway as well.

Dark grey/dark navy body. pure white sleeves. body color trim with white double striping. black or brass buttons. (i'm not for the buttons matching the arms.)

I'm having a real tough time getting rib knit trim at all, let alone striped. My foldback collar and cuffs kind of preclude a striped knit too, so expect a single color chunky rib knit at this point, it's what I can do.

The colorway right now is a tossup between grey, navy, or black, or maybe burgundy based on chance, whichever I find first (matching trim and body fabric, the former is much harder to find but they have to come as a pair), until I get my bearings and can navigate the fabric market hellhole. I've got grey trim, but had my hopes up for that steel navy blue.

I will sort out further color options once I make bulk orders on my fabric and stuff.

I am pretty set on Lambskin arms, they are Julius soft. I know cowhide is more traditional and tougher, but I'm going for a refined looking piece here in both body and arm, with a weight we can all find a way to wear between now and like November, since we got a lot of Northern Hemisphere guys and a few Southern Hemisphere guys all down for one.

Do you guys hate the idea of regular buttons? I have nice carved bone buttons that match my cream lambskin really nicely, and the buttons just look tons more quality than the snaps the guy has. The jacket would have about $10 worth of buttons on it, in fact. There's also the issue of matching beige leather to beige snaps, might not be an option.

Pure white leather sleeves allow for white snaps, beige leather is great but beige snaps are probably not available.

If not... my dream colorway I have in mind for the first ones is dark steel blue topcoat wool, same color rib knit, off-white sleeves. If there are no button snaps available in off-white (which I'm finding might be the case? TBA), how would you guys feel about conventional buttons in cream to match the cream leather? Like an old baseball jacket.

this makes the grey melange c/w sound oh so unappealing.

^ I agree, though I think black and the shade of beige I have in mind (almost a natural buckskin color) is a nice match, so I won't discount that combo. Grey and beige doesn't work,

Since the pattern is made, I'll say that it's pretty much a true 46, sleeve slightly lengthened by like an inch or so, I have kind of long arms and rib cuffed leather sleeves can break a half break or full break and look good.

The arms themselves are the pattern are anatomically curved forwards at a bent so the jacket will look 'alive' on the hanger and look better while on. I am probably giving a bunch of secrets at this point but no one is gonna catch up now.

also, paging DDML to this thread. Are we cool now? I'm sorry about the Dunk Phantom shit. Do ring in with some words on varsities again my du.

We're going to need patches for sufu scavenger hunt type stuff. We need a patch for posting over 30 waywts. A patch for getting a picture in Best Waywt, a patch for getting in worst, for having met up with a sufuer from another state, etc...