A week in Europe...What countries should I go to?

CityHunter

I know there are plenty of city specific threads, but they don't seem to have the info I need...

I'm heading to Europe for a week. Our starting point is London. From there, my friend and I want to head to 1-2 other countries (we are thinking 2 others is too many, but we are trying to maximize our time there!).

Any suggestions? My friend is not much of a party animal/drinker and I'm fine with that...I'm just going to follow him around. So basically we are looking for places that are nice places to chill, sightsee, eat good grub, and so on.

He suggested Madrid, and I was thinking something like Denmark or Austria.

Sorry about my lack of European knowledge...I've only been to Asia!

Thanks for the help!

i dont know how the air/rail rates compare right now in this economy but i would say London-Paris-Rome to make the most out of a week, with 3 days in Rome. Depending on the rates take the chunnel from London to Paris, then fly Easy Jet or Ryan Air if they have flights. Madrid isn't a bad idea (its on the list of places I want to go) but it's out of the way if you want to reduce your travel time.

If you are fond of architecture, then you should visit both Northern/Western Europe (magnificent Gothic cathedrals) and southern Europe (particularly, Florence where Renaissance started)

So, my choice would be Paris -> (optional - Prague) -> Florence or Rome. I don't know about the food, because I'm not fond of eating.

Basically, Paris and Rome, albeit they are quite "mainstream" among tourists, are options without drawbacks. Roots of European civilization lie there.

If you only stay for a week, I wouldn't go to Antwerp unless you're coming for designer clothes shopping. And even then, you can do that much better in Paris.

Prague, is what I was thinking. Are you American? Prague is every American's wet dream of ye olde European city. Or Budapest indeed, and go to one of the old bath houses. Note that Budapest is not very old.

Budapest and Vienna are great for their 19th century coffee houses, but that's a bit of an old ladies treat. Vienna is a bit like this in general (I like it).

A lot depends on your budget. Paris is expensive, Prague & Budapest aren't. Rome is chaotic; I love it, but only go there if you are interested in Very Old Archtecture. And still, you will have to line up for an eternity tot get into the Vatican Museums. Same if you go to the Uffizi in Florence, and with only a week to spend, I wouldn't do that.

Make sure that you don't do too much. Don't do both north and south. Nothing is more unsatisfactory than travelling all the time and seeing just some highlights.

prague is deffinately a great place to visit.. although the exchange isn't what it used to be from a couple years ago.. it's a beautiful city.. beautiful women.. decent shopping.. they always have something going on in the center..

the other thing i would suggest is to fly easyjet to amsterdam and you can hit brussels and rotterdam all in one shot..

If you only have a week spend a few days in London, then a few in Paris then a couple in Amsterdam. You won't have to travel much, and can avoid flying, which is a pain getting there 2 hours early, getting out to the actual airports etc.

the other thing i would suggest is to fly easyjet to amsterdam and you can hit brussels and rotterdam all in one shot..

Rotterdam???

(...) You won't have to travel much, and can avoid flying, which is a pain getting there 2 hours early, getting out to the actual airports etc.

good point. Airports suck.

I love love love Barcelona so it gets my vote... such a lovely city so lively, great food, nice people... Florence comes close second... both are great places to visit if you only have a few days...

I'm not denying that there are plenty to see in Paris but it's also a place to get a giant stamp that say "pretentious" on the forehead. Most likely everyone will disagree but that's honestly how I feel *shrugs*