Noah NY?

bargecharge

not refering to the toggle coat but nice. where did you get that runway pic?

Maker’s mark

Brendon Babenzien of Noah

Brendon Babenzien

Photo: Imogen Brown

What it is Noah, a rugged-meets-refined line of nautical-inspired menswear.

Who he is Until recently, 34-year-old Long Island native Brendon Babenzien was the menswear designer for cult denim label Earnest Sewn’s sportswear line. A lifelong surfer and skateboarder, the Soho-based clothier began his career with no formal design training, but fell into the fashion biz as a teenager in the mid-’90s, when a childhood friend, Don Busweiler, started underground streetwear label Pervert. “It was a small company, so there were elements of selling, doing production and design,” says Babenzien. “If you had an idea, you would just do it.” Helping Busweiler get the indie company off the ground led to a seven-year stint in design and development for legendary skate label Supreme. But the increasingly corporate scene compelled Babenzien to leave, and in 2002, he launched Noah, a line of preppy-cool button-downs, rubberized Macintosh-cotton surf trunks and heavy sweatshirts with waxed-cotton elbow patches, all of which referenced his ocean-loving roots. Then, after landing the Earnest Sewn gig in 2003, he quietly shuttered Noah. But the urge to carry out his own designs eventually prevailed (“I was tired of letting my ideas sit idle,” he says), so Babenzien relaunched the line this fall.

What he makes Noah’s beautifully detailed, heirloom-quality pieces have Babenzien’s past written all over them: “I grew up as this surf-skate kid who dressed preppy but listened to punk and hip-hop,” he says. “Noah is a reflection of my crazy mashed-up existence. I want my things to last for a very long time, so there’s a classic Northeastern aesthetic, but with a bit of toughness and youth.” For fall, this design philosophy yielded Ivy League–style double-breasted trench coats in corduroy and jacquard ($828), heavy shawl-collar fisherman’s sweaters updated with hoods ($528), and wool peacoats ($700) with pockets on the back for game—as in pheasants, not Nintendo. “I’m experimenting with constructing things in a way you might not normally see them constructed,” he explains. For spring 2007, Babenzien is playing with hooded, Lawrence of Arabia–style button-cuff pullovers rendered in men’s shirting fabric, and tailored board shorts based on a traditional trouser pattern. For a nominal fee, Babenzien will even custom-make his coats and jackets in different fabrics and embroider a client’s initials in the lining.

Why we like it The ideal wardrobe for a modern man who appreciates timeless workmanship and classic cuts, Noah subtly integrates 21st-century detailing with old-world fabrics and silhouettes.

Where it's at Nom De Guerre, 640 Broadway at Bleecker St (212-253-2891), or online at noahnewyork.com.— Lauren David Peden

so the guy designed for supreme? that should spark more interest from some people on this board.

Here's my Noah shirt, it's VERY thick linen, thickest I've seen linen used in a shirt. Very nicely made, and just overall good shirt. glad I held out for a sale at Nom De Guerre, as I was considering this shirt when it wasn't on sale. Very happy with the purchase.

DSC03628-2.jpg

DSC03629-1.jpg

DSC03635-1.jpg

DSC03638-2.jpg

for rolling up your sleeves, it has a strap to attach it via button, but for some reason it doesn't have a button hole.

DSC03639-2.jpg

inside weed/cell phone pocket

DSC03642-2.jpg

• 11 months later...

that shirt is simply great. i love this stuff, but never seem to have enough cash around to drop on a $800 jacket or a $400 shirt. i would easily pay sale prices for that quality and the style, but its pretty expensive.

anyone have any updated info on them?

poly... if you ever want to sell that shirt and it fits me, i'll buy it.

• 7 years later...

fuck yes. about time...

http://www.wwd.com/menswear-news/designer-luxury/brendon-babenzien-launching-noah-8170673

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/02/12/supreme-brendon-babenzien-noah/

after bumping this 7-yr old thread, i just realized i don't think anyone who posted in this thread is on here anymore, thus cares...

Edited by LanceP

I don't get the hype around his return. That shirt on this page sucks ass, and I haven't heard of or seen anything that is noteworthy. What is the hype for? Who cares if he worked for supreme. Are there any artifacts of history showing what the guy made that has actually stood the test of time?

When Noah was around, the internet hadn't quite exploded the mysteriousness of brands like Noah with limited distribution, so it's definitely coasting some on its rep among people who never handled it (myself included). Plus its design sense of, I guess, semi-lux twists of relatively straightforward prep stuff became ultra commonplace in the years after it disappeared, so it doesn't seem special at all now. It's semi impossible to think of Steven Alan or Band of Outsiders as hip now, too.

But I'm still looking forward ot the relaunch. I know NdG stocked Noah and those guys were tight. NdG seems similar in a way:I don't today really want to buy/wear half of what NdG actually made, but I'd be interested to see what NdG would be doing now. Same w Noah/Babenzien.

Anyone have an opinion on the other Babenzien's sneaker brand, Greats? Have to admire the price restraint/value focus, esp when Buscemi is involved, but the designs seem a hair too generic/K-Mart-y.

Edited by shoreman1782

Anyone have an opinion on the other Babenzien's sneaker brand, Greats? Have to admire the price restraint/value focus, esp when Buscemi is involved, but the designs seem a hair too generic/K-Mart-y.

He started greats? No wonder... Greats is fucking corn riddled shit out of my barnhole

• 1 month later...

I don't get the hype around his return. That shirt on this page sucks ass, and I haven't heard of or seen anything that is noteworthy. What is the hype for? Who cares if he worked for supreme. Are there any artifacts of history showing what the guy made that has actually stood the test of time?

i don't see any unexpected "hype" around it on here. its just the few of us that were here before that is getting a little excited for a brand that is making a come back - maybe its just nostalgia. 

p.s. the clothes to me were like an understated supreme in a way. 

Edited by tm

• 2 months later...

2:40

Watched it before, googled 'noah clothing' and couldn't find anything so I just shrugged it off.

Would like to see more stuff in the future considering those pics^.

Edited by TIMDOT

I'd like to try the hat, but the pics make it look a little too deep on the dome, and the construction is pretty messy--look at that stitching holding the snaps on.

Logo is aight, I like the vaguely mystic looking cross and typeface.

That terry blazer needs to be about 2 bills cheaper. It's a gimmick item through and through, like something Reigning Champ would put out.

RHCP T-shirt is pretty lol.

• 4 months later...