Left Field Jeans

scotty2

question for you guys @ LFNYC - are your tubular knit t-shirts the same thing as loopwheeled? 

Tubular knit tees are quite different compared to loopwheeled, check out this thread if you're interested: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/105995-loopwheeledvintage-t-shirts/

PART 1

Back in November i took a trip to our lake house in East Texas with my dad to winterize the place. I shot some film while I was there and totally forgot i had a couple rolls to develop. So now that I finally got around to developing that, I have some film (and crappy android) photos of that trip in my sweats.

I checked all the tire pressures before we got underway.
ZICX20fl.jpg

and after the two hour drive up there, we got a not-so-warm welcome from the thermostat... (that's indoor temp)
VgQZRrml.jpg

That meant FIRE TIME. So i grabbed a bundle of firewood and started up the furnace.
iSVddq0l.jpg
tpKZQjLl.jpg

My dad brewed some tea and made us hot sandwiches to help us warm up.
SLcC2tMl.jpg

I took a different approach to warming up...
gzcOL8fl.jpg

Finally warm and relaxed, thanks in part to the sweats no doubt.
Tpfj7Uvl.jpg

Anyway...on to the next day and the film photos! If i remember correctly they were Kodak Portra 400 and Fuji Superia 1600.

My dad has been slowly transforming the front yard to a small forest, so he wanted to show me and inspect everything was going well with the cold. 
15257115754_0da44f1bf8_z.jpg76500010 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

Film selfie while I was bored. No shame...
Every time I catch the sweats in winter light on film I am always ecstatic how great the color is. Im starting to think I'll have to do film and digital for my final shots just to showcase the depth of color. 
15853580916_a11011c09f_z.jpg76500007 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

Here is probably my favorite shot of the sweats I have. Such great color on them and they really pop against the OD denim and brown leaves.
15257135234_dbabfe55b8_z.jpg76500003 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

PART 2

My dad looking all pensive on the dock...probably thinking about what fly to use next time he goes fishing. 
15691892538_eb03307f39_z.jpg76500001 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

That afternoon we headed to my uncle's house where he'd been clearing a ton of dead trees from his land.
15879151305_25cda7ea2e_z.jpg76480021 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

He lost a lot of trees after the drought a few years ago. He had a nice deal arranged with a guy in town to clear it all for free if the guy kept the wood. 
15259501223_0a8da36f96_z.jpg76480020 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

This one had a huge bee hive inside when it fell.
15693392657_47cdbcef5e_z.jpg76480022 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After counting the rings on this one, it was nearly 100 years old.
15693133489_37c120fb9b_z.jpg76480023 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

I couldn't resist shooting this worn out Mercury on the edge of the woods.
15256914414_5f8fe66313_z.jpg76480016 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After we finished our tour of the tree clearing operation, my dad, uncle, and I headed to my grandmother's for some coffee.
15259528503_fc235bdf49_z.jpg76480013 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After coffee, we disbanded and headed home. Once back at the lake house I continued to confuse my dad by taking more photos of my sweatpants...
15693461787_93f680b463_z.jpg76480004 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

Dad: "Greg, why are you taking photos of your pants"
Me: "There's people on the internet who are interested."
Dad: "....."
end awkward conversation

15691708498_a7814a156d_z.jpg76480005 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

THE END

Tubular knit tees are quite different compared to loopwheeled, check out this thread if you're interested: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/105995-loopwheeledvintage-t-shirts/

thnx for cliky, B. there's a lot of pages to trudge thru - can you give me $0.02 the rundown on the difference? 

Yeah there's a lot of pages but I would try checking out the middle of the thread, Foxy and Bandana drop some knowledge.

Basically vintage loopwheel machines knit very slowly and produce a fabric that doesn't get put under stress like other knitting machines. Rather it falls under it's own weight while it is being knitted. 

Check out Bandana's blog post, should give you more of an idea: http://bandanna-almanac.com/2014/10/06/kanekichi-knitting-factory/

excellent blog post. 

Yeah, I know what loopwheeling is, don't own anything, but I was wondering if tube knitting is the same thing. 

Yeah, I know what loopwheeling is, don't own anything, but I was wondering if tube knitting is the same thing. 

I believe the difference is tubular knit = no side seams + normal knitting machine

whereas loopwheel = no side seams + special no tension (if you ignore gravity) machine that knits without torquing the fabric

I think after about 10 pages of discussion, there was a general feeling that it's not always easy to tell the difference (even for some of the retailers/brands involved) and it probably doesn't matter very much anyway.

@superjackle I am still in development, I have a sample in 13 oz but looking to do 15 oz, tighten the weave up a bit and work out some other kinks. prob early summer as it's going to miss my next cutting. Both styles will be cut. 

@mpukas. loop wheel from my knowledge is the name of the JP Co. not the process.  One of my factory mgrs used to work at Sarah Lee ie Champion and he told me it was the Tompkins knitting machine that did the "loopwheel" style knitting. It was knit very slowly over a barrel and was supposed to control tension issue that occur in knits. Outside of the fact that it was done on the old school knitting machines and the tension control I don't really know any other advantage.  Tube tees I make are made on more modern equipment and each chest size is knit separately. It is a very time consuming process because each machine has to be set up with different colored yarns for each tube(chest) size. Most tees are knit on one width, split open down the middle to open the tube and then all sizes are cut from it. They will have side seams this way. I use 18 singles(heavyweight yarns) ringspun(old fashion spinning style that provides longer strands of cotton,  making it softer) vs open end spinning a cheaper method that fuses many small strands together, scratchier hand. 

To be honest with you I feel there are a lot of people claiming they use "loopwheel" process, but it's very hard to prove unless you visit their factory. The premium price for "loopwheeled" tees are not worth the extra cost from my perspective and like I said hard to prove. Key factors are yarn size, the smaller the heavier, and whether it is ringspun or open end yarns. The tubes have less side torque after wash and are generally more comfortable. Also the bragging rights to have a vintage style tube tee. 

Any feedback on how much the 15 oz Cone stretches in the waist?  My size 36s measure ~34", and 35.5" - 36.5" is usually pretty comfy.  Is 1.5" of stretch possible in these?  Thanks!

(for those keeping track, that's 4 pairs of Greasers) :ph34r:

Edited by Engineer05

Any feedback on how much the 15 oz Cone stretches in the waist?  My size 36s measure ~34", and 35.5" - 36.5" is usually pretty comfy.  Is 1.5" of stretch possible in these?  Thanks!

(for those keeping track, that's 4 pairs of Greasers) :ph34r:

that shouldn't be a problem. wear them hard! (I have 4 pairs of greasers too! blkblu ones will be 5.)

Any updates?  Thanks!

we have both natural and navy in M. Let me know if you want either or both. Then i'll have you call me at the shop to get settled up.

Edited by satchelbmoore

Hey Friends, sweatpants-wearers, and fellow blue-legs, there are just about 24 hours left in the Left Field NYC and BlackBlue Indigo Terry #backinblue Sweatpants competition. I suggest you get your final photos, pitches, purchases (a big order from LEFTFIELDNYC.com or BLKBLU.com couldn't hurt you when we are picking winners) in ASAP. The Left Field and BlackBlue camps will deliberate a few days and then will each choose winners.

Here are my final pix. I've worn both my sweatshirt and my sweatpants A TON since i got them. Often together. I didn't usually wear the pants during the day but i often wore them to and from soccer. they are usually stinky. i've washed and dried them both maybe six times. just a few photos in various light and iphone focus magic.

many thanks to Christian and Andrew (pepperdavies) for their support and to LEFT FIELD NYC for being as dope as it is.

605A0320-8962-40EB-BB6C-22FF31340490_zps

4CDB0A78-DDF2-420A-835E-539017FB3877_zps

5173D3AF-7280-4C5D-BC17-5D43326F7B1D_zps

FFF22F17-01A5-4F12-AFF5-3506D5C6798D_zps

BC2D9CAA-6476-4DD8-8CD5-E1852459B846_zps

0EF71AC6-28B0-4F4B-AC58-31B54747E80D_zps

D62225C5-B946-4090-856F-6FACC1BC7B23_zps

4EEFA242-6D4A-4A70-9433-7F8699BE6DFA_zps

C712087B-5CFF-4FE9-BBAF-09205F680F8D_zps

Edited by satchelbmoore

PART 2

My dad looking all pensive on the dock...probably thinking about what fly to use next time he goes fishing. 

15691892538_eb03307f39_z.jpg76500001 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

That afternoon we headed to my uncle's house where he'd been clearing a ton of dead trees from his land.

15879151305_25cda7ea2e_z.jpg76480021 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

He lost a lot of trees after the drought a few years ago. He had a nice deal arranged with a guy in town to clear it all for free if the guy kept the wood. 

15259501223_0a8da36f96_z.jpg76480020 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

This one had a huge bee hive inside when it fell.

15693392657_47cdbcef5e_z.jpg76480022 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After counting the rings on this one, it was nearly 100 years old.

15693133489_37c120fb9b_z.jpg76480023 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

I couldn't resist shooting this worn out Mercury on the edge of the woods.

15256914414_5f8fe66313_z.jpg76480016 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After we finished our tour of the tree clearing operation, my dad, uncle, and I headed to my grandmother's for some coffee.

15259528503_fc235bdf49_z.jpg76480013 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

After coffee, we disbanded and headed home. Once back at the lake house I continued to confuse my dad by taking more photos of my sweatpants...

15693461787_93f680b463_z.jpg76480004 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

Dad: "Greg, why are you taking photos of your pants"

Me: "There's people on the internet who are interested."

Dad: "....."

end awkward conversation

15691708498_a7814a156d_z.jpg76480005 by GregoryPfaff, on Flickr

THE END

Awesome pictures! Portra is a fantastic film, I haven't tried the fuji though. Sweats are looking good too, can't wait to see everyone's final pics.

Alright guys, here’s my final update for the sweats, photos taken by my friend Kyle about a week ago. This is my first fade competition and it’s been a lot of fun, especially because it’s for wearing something to lounge around in.

I think I waited about 3 or 4 months to wash, and have washed about once a month since then. So maybe 6 or 7 washes. I was able to wear them a bit throughout the summer, but only really when walking my dog. I moved to CA in them, and then back to Chicago in them. Generally they are the first thing I put on in the morning. I walk my dog about 2 miles a day, and for the last 3 or 4 months I’ve been wearing them through salt, snow and slush, which I think helped contribute to the cuff fading. As soon as I get home the sweats go on. Lots of playing and wrestling my dog, which I think contributed to the worn out knees, and recently she caught my pocket with her nail which ripped it even further. I’ve tried to wear them while doing other things like brewing, some minor wood working projects, and lots of errands.

I’ve been really impressed with how great the fabric is on these. When I had to take them off to wash, and put on my other sweats, it really hit home how awesome and warm these are, which is crucial for Chicago winters. Hopefully, I’ll be able to pick up the newer cut of the sweats and treat them a little better than these competition ones.

Without further ado here are the photos. Good luck to everybody in the competition!

xnABTBSh.jpg

QbnG5auh.jpg

0tLAswvh.jpg

pk4i4J8h.jpg

g2Xth9bh.jpg

5QVnSGTh.jpgHUl9b1Ih.jpga1RZ6l5h.jpgypuIkiJh.jpgGtMyISbh.jpg

awesome! the jacket looks great too

Thanks! Forgot to mention I'm wearing the left field flight jacket. It's been my go to jacket for the last two winters. It's pretty warm until about 20 or so degrees and then I gotta throw a few layers underneath. I've been loving it. No signs of wearing out yet!

that shouldn't be a problem. wear them hard! (I have 4 pairs of greasers too! blkblu ones will be 5.)

we have both natural and navy in M. Let me know if you want either or both. Then i'll have you call me at the shop to get settled up.

Cool, thanks!  Tell me more about the blkblu ones???!!!

Solid updates everyone! I'm going to take some pictures in a bit and then I'll edit this post.

Alright so here we go. I had to step out earlier and the sun is down now so I'm working with the best lighting I can get.

5DAQgEf.jpg

2nCPlmX.jpg

LOxrSri.jpg

eG7koxu.jpg

fdEANU0.jpg

xSEk7xA.jpg

vuwmluL.jpg

Edited by EmperorSelassieEye

Hey Left Field guys, curious why the measurements of the collect mills greaser are so different from the other fabrics?  Would've copped but there's an 1.5" difference in back rise, and about .75" in thigh, front rise, etc.  My Black Marias in 34 are perfect.

Edited by sombrero

Cool, thanks!  Tell me more about the blkblu ones???!!!

Indigo Warp Black Weft. Special BlackBlue X LF NYC Canoe and Moose Patch they will be online soon on both sites.

When is the latest I can post final photos? I was gonna try to take film photos today but the roads are so icy here I cant get them to the developer today...

I can't speak for LF but we'll give you a couple days to get us some pretty film pixx!

Edited by satchelbmoore

Also here are my Nisshinbo Chelsea's at 2 years ~10 washes. These are pretty much retired at this point as my thighs have gotten out of control.

kEmulqu.jpg

a6fNW7l.jpg

tdT9wag.jpg

ESnn2j1.jpg

oGcAJWd.jpg

AL6uEVe.jpg

1h8DptD.jpg

Hi Satchel...when is the black blue X LF greaser going to be available?

hey! they're in the shop now. Should be online soon. come by if you wanna see them!

Edited by satchelbmoore