Wrangler Blue Bell 11MW dry vintage

crunch

Hello all!! Been reading this forum for a few weeks now. I recently picked up a pair of Euro Wrangler Blue Bell 11MW dry vintage repro (non-selvage), not the best jeans in the world, but the price was too good to pass.

I wanna start wearing them and was wondering how I'd go about soaking these. I've heard HOT water is bad for sanforized jeans? Can't remember where I read that, but I also want to shrink them alittle as they're abit loose on me and I need them hemmed as well. Just wanna check with all you denim heads first before I do anything stupid. :D

THANKS in advance! I'll get some pre-soak pics up when I have the camera charged.

I doubt they'll shrink at all. I wouldn't bother. The starch that's in them will help you get a good fade, too. Hot water won't damage Sanforized jeans - it's just that there's no real point in using it, given the fact they're preshrunk.

The fact they're non-selvage is irrelevant, these jeans were never selvage, but it's still good quality denim.

I doubt they'll shrink at all. I wouldn't bother. The starch that's in them will help you get a good fade, too. Hot water won't damage Sanforized jeans - it's just that there's no real point in using it, given the fact they're preshrunk.

The fact they're non-selvage is irrelevant, these jeans were never selvage, but it's still good quality denim.

Thanks! I guess I'll get it hemmed as is. :)

I'm fairly certain to have seen geniune 1940's Wrangler's with lefty selvedge denim, replete with 'Levi's' style arcuates.

These repro's look lovely. Look forward to more photos.

I recall that the denim on these reissues comes from Orta, and according to one Warangler aficionado, cowboys used to starch their jeans heavily because they thought it made a kind of dirt screen. And of course the fully-felled seams (whcih don't show any selvage) were a more expensive construction than Levi's, done so they'd be stronger - and, I guess, give less chafing!

INdeed, lovely jeans.

I'm fairly certain to have seen geniune 1940's Wrangler's with lefty selvedge denim, replete with 'Levi's' style arcuates.

These repro's look lovely. Look forward to more photos.

You're both correct, the Euro version uses fully-felled seams while the Jap version is selvedged. Mine is the Euro with fully-felled seams. I'll snap a pic of that as well when I get home tonight. :)

You're both correct, the Euro version uses fully-felled seams while the Jap version is selvedged. Mine is the Euro with fully-felled seams. I'll snap a pic of that as well when I get home tonight. :)

I was referring to actual 1940s vintage Wranglers, not reproductions.

Although, whilst on the subject, I'm sure that Warehouse do one of their Diggers with a 'felled selvedge' outseam. It's not a true fell seam, but rather a selvedge outseam where the edges have been folded over in one direction only (as opposed to being ironed open) and then double stitched like a fell.

I've always been interested in Wrangler's reputation amongst cowboys as being tougher than Levi's, and more of a working jean rather than a fashion item.

• 9 years later...

Gorgeous jeans. I would wear those till they are dusty and dirty before getting them wet, myself, and then wash them hot as hell (but air dry to keep the patch from shrinking and hardening). Just hike 'em high and cinch up your belt till then. They won't shrink much anyhow. Or, exchange for the next size down if you can.

Also, "Jap" is largely viewed as an ethnic slur in most of the English speaking world.

Edited by 428CJ