Golf Talk

Can someone recommend a good ball for me to play with?

I played golf in high school every day, but haven't play in about 8 years (save maybe a round every now and then).

I just got some clubs and plan on playing 1-2 times a week with some co-workers.

I don't hit the ball very long, but I'm fairly accurate.

Any ideas? Looking to spend about a dollar or so per ball (is that reasonable?? Too low??)

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad introduced me to the sport when I was in about 6th grade . Then in 8th grade got my first set of clubs. Alas I moved away from my dad in high school so I didn't get to play with him and I never found someone or a group to ever play with now years later I'm finnally starting to play more , Gah my game got off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned/played with a bunch of Scotty Cameron putters but nothing newer than 2004. They are among my favorites because of the shape and feel, tho the ones I own are all based off the Ping Answer. Some good alternatives to Scotty Cameron putters are Bettinardi and classic Ping putters. What would you like to know?

• 5 months later...
Guest Eternal811
Tiger returned on Wed. any thoughts predictions or comments. I say Tiger wins it all this year.

I agree i think he will win it all this year. does anyone play fantasy golf?

before i neg you both for being retarded - why is espn better than yahoo?

LOL , i actually like yahoo better. the format agrees with me more than ESPN

• 2 years later...

I used to play a ton but with work I barely get out. Plus I live in Toronto, and while there are many great courses, the season is ridiculously short. Also even when I played a lot I was never the type to head out and play just because I had a tee time; if the weather is shit I am not going near a course.

I was a scratch for like 6 years and currently I am probably a 8-12 hcp so it is mad frustrating playing for me now...my short game has gone to shit. I think working for a number of years at a golf course caddying made me like it less and less. it's really hard to walk around behind some hack and pretend like you are interested in their game, let alone pretend that your advice might help them shoot a decent score. I have been wanting to play more lately since I finished school and will never have to caddy again though.

I was never able to figure out how some people could like golf and play every weekend when they are so terrible at it. It is one of the few sports/games where people will keep playing for 20 years and show basically no improvement.

yeah right! i highly doubt i could do the whole caddy thing either.

personally i have only really started getting into golf this year. played probably a handful of times over my life and this year have probably played 10 or so rounds. I am not a great player but i have pretty good hand eye coordination so the game actually comes quiet easily to me.

and at the moment i find going out and strolling through 18 holes the most relaxing thing in the world. trying to do it every week.

what's the deal with getting a handicap?? how many rounds do you need to play?

I was never able to figure out how some people could like golf and play every weekend when they are so terrible at it. It is one of the few sports/games where people will keep playing for 20 years and show basically no improvement.

x2 I would just quit playing if I went out and shot 90+ for an entire season, much less for years at a time.

I play once or twice a week. Been playing for around 8yrs or so. My fav sport. Good day I can keep it in the low-mid 70s. Wish I got to play more often.

what's the deal with getting a handicap?? how many rounds do you need to play?

I think you only have to have about 5 rounds to obtain a handicap, at least under the GAO I think they would issue one then. Obviously the more you play the more reliable the number...it kind of tracks how you've been playing recently. There are a number of other factors that affect handicap too, like whether it was a tournament score etc.

Caddying was a tough job. I don't mean tough physically really, although I could have done without the large one-piece jumper in 35 degree weather with 100% humidity haha. Just mentally it made me hate golf, a game I played twice a day every summer from age 11-18. You would stand on the first tee with a 120 handicapper and 3 others and KNOW that the next five hours was going to BLOW, and potentially reward you with a $20 tip.

The low tips were kind of rare though, I kept going back because the money was unbeatable for a summer job. There were a number of days where I would go into work at 7:30am, get the first bag and be home before 12 with $160 in cash in my pocket. The course was the most expensive one to join in Canada and the tips were crazy, I had probably 2 or 3 >$400 tip days over my span working there (which all involved 2 rounds). I also caddied for a bunch of famous people (most of the toronto maple leafs, the raptors who golfed, several other hockey players, Hootie and the blowfish haha, samuel L, and in a group with Bill Clinton, and a group with T woods, not to mention several other tour players).

So it wasn't all bad...

• 2 years later...