NYC Subway Stories

TheBrokeDJ

A couple of years ago I was going to Brooklyn on the 2 train.

Some crazy homeless guy had set a station on fire trying to keep himself warm so none of the trains were stopping at their usual stops.

I have been to NY a few times and am OK on the subway, as soon as things started to change I had no idea where I was or where I was going.

Soon enough I was the only white guy in my car and some crazy bitch starts screaming at me for standing on her shoes. 2 guys next to me start freaking out at her in my defence and she goes totally berzerk, throws a glass bottle of bright red juice up in the air just as we pull into a station and she kicks it straight out of the door at people coming onto the train. She gets pushed out of the train and I carry on my journey still not having a fucking clue where I was.

Got out at the next stop and was still the only white guy around. Some dude immediatley walks up to me and asks me if I want to buy cigarettes, the next just straight out asks me for my money.

I get straight back into the station on the other line and straight back into Manhattan.

It's no gun / giant banana story but it scared the shit out of me !

I've posted this atleast 5 times but when I was in NY I was waiting at the station with destructodisk and sidney and a homeless man asks me if I'm "viet cong or chinee?" I can't remember what I told him but he started saying "ching chong chang" and then threatened to call the police on me for hitting destructodisk even though we were all just standing there. I had my camera and the whole time he was half hiding because he thought I was going to take his picture.

wearing my purple gayprils on the train got some funny comments as well and I remember getting off the train really quickly after some brolic ass dude was staring at me for quite awhile...he said something but I can't remember what.

i love white kids who laugh at how brooklyn is totally not hard anymore

(don't mean you obviously)

Totally.

There are some real fucking nasty hell holes around my city that wouldn't spook me, I was just really off guard when this happened so was really outside my comfort zone.

I've posted this atleast 5 times but when I was in NY I was waiting at the station with destructodisk and sidney and a homeless man asks me if I'm "viet cong or chinee?" I can't remember what I told him but he started saying "ching chong chang" and then threatened to call the police on me for hitting destructodisk even though we were all just standing there. I had my camera and the whole time he was half hiding because he thought I was going to take his picture.

wearing my purple gayprils on the train got some funny comments as well and I remember getting off the train really quickly after some brolic ass dude was staring at me for quite awhile...he said something but I can't remember what.

i think you told him viet cong no? i cant remember exactly either

A couple of years ago I was going to Brooklyn on the 2 train.

Some crazy homeless guy had set a station on fire trying to keep himself warm so none of the trains were stopping at their usual stops.

I have been to NY a few times and am OK on the subway, as soon as things started to change I had no idea where I was or where I was going.

Soon enough I was the only white guy in my car and some crazy bitch starts screaming at me for standing on her shoes. 2 guys next to me start freaking out at her in my defence and she goes totally berzerk, throws a glass bottle of bright red juice up in the air just as we pull into a station and she kicks it straight out of the door at people coming onto the train. She gets pushed out of the train and I carry on my journey still not having a fucking clue where I was.

Got out at the next stop and was still the only white guy around. Some dude immediatley walks up to me and asks me if I want to buy cigarettes, the next just straight out asks me for my money.

I get straight back into the station on the other line and straight back into Manhattan.

It's no gun / giant banana story but it scared the shit out of me !

at least you were able to escape...that sure sounds nice :( there's no way I can flee from being one of the only "Other" raced people in most of my social situations.

I've only been to NYC once on a school trip and I only got to go a handful of times but man is it crazy.

I was standing by the door talking to one of my friends when this old black guy comes in and just starts eyeing me down. After like 5 minutes he comes by and asks me if I'm "some cat with an asian bodyguard who goes to bars and starts shit so my bodyguard can kill him". It was hella weird.

this post is going to die a quick death when train fare goes to 2 fiddy in may, no more frivolous train riding for me, i'm walking from the crib on 133 to mercer when i feel like jawn copping now

walking home from the park today, pass those black israelites or whoever, ranting and what not, sporting my blue and white "shalom from new york city" tee complete with a star of david i kopped from a times square tourist shop and get some really menacing stares from this one dood and something said i couldnt really make out but it sounded angry, "somethinsomethin fuckin white boy somethin you no jew" iunno.

shit was mad funny, being raised catholic and now acknowledging no faith at all, dood getting all hot and bothered for nothing. finna raise a brotha's blood pressure

(Cross-posted per jeepster's request; I didn't even know this thread existed!)

I took the subway from the airport last night. I was transferring from the A to the F and this older black woman was, too. As we were waiting for the F on the platform, she sidled up next to me and asked, "Where are you from? China?"

[Cross-posted from WAYWT chat!]

0405090131.jpg

Just got home.

I took the 1 headed downtown coming home from the Upper West Side. I was holding on to a pole and there was a gang of rowdy black kids sitting down next to me. One them, a dude, comes up to me and says, "Hey man, I like your jacket."

"You should like it," I said. "It's awesome."

"She likes it, too. She really likes it." he said, pointing to this girl sitting down.

"Man," I said, "the whole world should like this jacket."

"She likes you too," he said.

"Join the club, sister. Join the club."

At that, they all began hooting and hollering. "Yo, man, we're going karaoking. Come with us!"

"Man, I went karaoking last night."

"We went last night, too! And we're going again tonight!"

"Man," I said. "I love karaoke."

One of the girls sitting asked, "What do you sing?"

"A little bit of everything," I said. "Green Day, Bon Jovi, Air Supply, Bobby Brown...."

" 'Tenderoni'?"

"Naw, 'My Prerogative.' [singing] 'Tell me, tell me, whyyyy, can't IIIII, live my li-ife (live my life!)....' "

And they began cheering. They got off shortly afterward at 42nd. I kept my place at the pole.

At 34th, a whole gaggle of black people—about fifteen—got on. One of them was this dude with a camera. As soon as he saw me, he called out, "Hold up, hold up! This is the new look! The look this year! Nerd stylin'!"

I posed for him. "You better post this!" I said.

"He said, 'You better post this'!" someone called from the back.

"Post it everywhere!" I said.

"Haw haw! MySpace sssss!"

Then my stop arrived. "This is my stop," I said.

My new friends let out a collective groan and booed. I stepped off and blew them a kiss and then I walked home.