Advice for Opening a Clothing Store

I couldn't be bothered to read anymore after the first 8 or so posts.

So, I'm just going to say one thing. I think you should do a little more research on the matter. Find out exactly what the demand in your area is and whether or not such a store would be worthwhile. If you don't find out your potential customer base now, then it could spell disaster.

I'm not that great when it comes to business (being 17 and uninterested in my family's usual business dealings, I try to distance myself as much as possible).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have some questions. Nomad....how the did they start up? Connections? They've been stocking great shit since the day they opened.

Also, how the hell did the guy behind grandism manage to get such a good line up and get brands to send the shit to his shop in swistzerland?

Quote:

rumour has it the guy behind grandism hangs out with james jebbia, michael kopelman, fraser cooke, shinsuke takizawa etc and manages their funds on some hidden swiss bank accounts.

switzerland must be some sort of prestige thing for the labels as well.

--- Original message by misterdobalina on Jan 12, 2006 05:34 AM

haha, are you serious? so how did you come by this info?

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Quote:

rumours run new york.

--- Original message by misterdobalina on Jan 12, 2006 06:59 AM

yeah so the latest retail mafia product says. shit. really is like A-Ron says. the hi-end street clothes network is like the mafia. Not just in NYC but internationally.

Quote:
Quote:

rumours run new york.

yeah so the latest retail mafia product says. shit. really is like A-Ron says. the hi-end street clothes network is like the mafia. Not just in NYC but internationally.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Jan 12, 2006 07:14 AM

that's a good point. and just to come back to straight cash homies questions: this might be the main reason why he's likely to run into some difficulties stocking the stuff he wants to. plus hardly any label supplies you stuff just to bang it off the web... given he wants to choose the online thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

rumours run new york.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Jan 12, 2006 07:14 AM

that's a good point. and just to come back to straight cash homies questions: this might be the main reason why he's likely to run into some difficulties stocking the stuff he wants to. plus hardly any label supplies you stuff just to bang it off the web... given he wants to choose the online thing.

--- Original message by misterdobalina on Jan 12, 2006 07:39 AM

thats it. If you`re a `made` man in NYC you`re getting all your Supreme, aNYthing etc for free I guess. being able to sell this stuff you definately have to get inside the inner circle somehow.

Quote:

rumour has it the guy behind grandism hangs out with james jebbia, michael kopelman, fraser cooke, shinsuke takizawa etc and manages their funds on some hidden swiss bank accounts.

switzerland must be some sort of prestige thing for the labels as well.

--- Original message by misterdobalina on Jan 12, 2006 05:34 AM

hahahahahaha

Edited by hahnstch on Jan 12, 2006 at 08:02 AM

yeah this is an interesting topic now. Most people on the `inside` either are creators or skaters that someone else in the `mafia` knows or is a fan of. Take Perks of PAM. He hooked up with Stash etc through graf. A-Ron worked in Supreme. Nigo, Shinsuke, Hikaru etc did their own thing in Japan but people like the Supreme Team were fans and the NYC/Tokyo mutual appreciation society started up. Similar thing happened with Silas in London. TET was a staffer in a Stussy store in Japan, left to start his own brand with Takishin and again, key people in NYC and London took notice. (Anyone see the new WTaps x aNYthing collabo tees btw? I need that shit!) Japanese kids, wanting to stand out from their buddies sort out underground NY and London brands so the content of all the street mags in Japan followed. I remember seeing pics of the supreme team in a lot of mags years and years ago. Seeing Gio in Hectic or A-Ron in a BXH tee while in Japan wasnt uncommon.

Now what about guys like Eddie Cruz, Michael Koppleman, Fraser Cooke? Are these guys creative in any way or are they just canny businessmen who were fans of the brands they now sell and ended up in this business because they`re extremely competent? Anyone know?

I think there is alot of bullshit being posted on this thread...

people saying he has 0% chance of getting those brands is simply not true, I am not sure of what authority they have over the distribution of these brands but some of them for sure would stock you if they liked your store and the direction you were going for suited the brand. i agree stuff like bape and supreme maybe isnt possible but stuff like PRPS, Dior Homme, recon, thehundreds, 2k, apc, rogan and even visvim and Neighbourhood are possible with alot of hard work in my opinion.

if your prepared to work hard for what at first seems very little reward and you are passionate about this stuff then go for it.

lol...

in the UK selfridges does Neighbourhood and its a multiple..

cruise does visvim and that is also a multiple..

if u were a good independant they would sell to you no shadow of a doubt. not many places self this stuff because the markets arnt massive, not because the distribution is just limited to a few hyped stores.

i wouldnt say it was easy but with hard work u can get them.

dont say lol if you dont know what you're talkin about.

being an authorized retailer (and contacting the guys in japan) and getting some overstock from gimme5 are two different stories.

cruise isn't an official visvim retailer either. they can be found here

http://thisisnaive.com/journal/?page_id=88

that list is taken from the visvim fw05 catalogue.

back to straight cash homie: since there's no distributions for wtaps or nbhd in north america... tough task. not impossible. but tough.

even supply in sydney doesnt stock nbhd yet... and their brandlist is super ace. and believe me, they WANT it.

CashMoney, I think that it's great that you want to get out of the 9-5, and good for you for looking to creat your own thing. I also had a recent loss, and know what it's like for it to change your perspective on life and time.

Not to rain on your parade, but I also work in the retail business, and want to remind you how difficult a retail business can be. Not to be critial, but if you don't have much experience in the retail, I would suggest starting small and working up - rather than trying to go full blown in the first try.

Someone else also mentioned starting a shop selling something else, like housewares, or vintage stuff, but running a small retail business would allow you to gain experience without the high investment in inventory that a clothing store would require. It'll also give you a chance to make connections with local business owners and other "mover & shakers" - owning a business requires you to interact with local authorities, news publications, etc. - as well as possibly earn some respect among the "hipster" cliche.

There was some "back & forth" between a couple of you, but Milpex, I think you brought up an angle that can't be ignored. The reality is, business is based on connections.

- What's a "Pointman" anyways? - you make the tips of laces or something??

Live today, as if tomorrow were your last.

i get ur idea, ive also thought about doing that for a while lol.. but to be honest, it's almost impossible if you don't have the right connections.

also, the crowd in MTL is kind of different from the one in Toronto. Montrealers are more into clothing at stores like urbanoutfitters, bleumarine, influence u, stylesexchange or holtrenfrew anyways. My advice would be to start something not too big that differs from those mentionned above first.. kind of like HTK.

Quote:

dont say lol if you dont know what you're talkin about.

being an authorized retailer (and contacting the guys in japan) and getting some overstock from gimme5 are two different stories.

cruise isn't an official visvim retailer either. they can be found here

http://thisisnaive.com/journal/?page_id=88

that list is taken from the visvim fw05 catalogue.

back to straight cash homie: since there's no distributions for wtaps or nbhd in north america... tough task. not impossible. but tough.

even supply in sydney doesnt stock nbhd yet... and their brandlist is super ace. and believe me, they WANT it.

--- Original message by misterdobalina on Jan 13, 2006 01:18 PM

yeah Supply has been saying they`re getting taps and NBHD for years now. Someday already has NBHD but thats because of Perks` CONNECTIONS and association with One Gram distribution Im assuming. Supply as far as I know is just run by a major fan of all this stuff and backed by a distro company that has been doing lower end stuff for years and years therefore knows the game.

Instead of being negative about this guy, i think he needs encouragement. Good for you, get out there and make it happen. If you don't have any contacts, get em. Just keep at it, don't take no for an answer, make your ideas a reality. I bet there were hundreds of gimps that told Richard Branson airlines were a no-no, possibly more told him not to touch cosmetics, cola, cd's etc. Read 'Just Do It: The Nike Spirit in the Corporate World' by Donald Katz...and just do it.

It is easy for somebody to denounce you at the first opportunity on the internet, but ignore them and give it your best shot. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

There is no such thing as Art, only Artists

^^I agree. If you build a cool as shit store and keep on persisiting to aquire the labels you want....it can be done. Turn it around, make the store so farking hawt that people are banging on your door to stock it

Keep on Keepin' on bro

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

FYI -

A. GOODFOOT IN MONTREAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE

B. RANSOM IS OPENING IN MONTREAL IN 2006

GOODFOOT / RANSOM / NOMAD - have most of the brands you are after. Why not try something new? Think of a new route to go? Why jock other peoples business , you will not be able to do it like those guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa. Interesting Thread.

StraightMoney -- Some Observations:

The 'Haters' are in their own way pointing out something you lack, and it's something to which you've admitted as well. The fact is that even though you show an appreciation for the lines you've listed, what you're missing, I think you'll admit, is Passion.

You may know about the different brands, what they look like, etc etc; however, you probably aren't on the same wavelength as the owners of the different brands.

On the outside, it may very well seem like some kind of highschool popularity clique thing, but the reason why the alleged "Mafia" exists is because all these people know each other personally and all these people trust one another.

If you can convince and win the trust of, say, James at Supreme, and have him reassured that you will take care of his product true to his vision, then there wouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to carry Supreme product in your store. Of course, this will include fiscal responsibilities, etc etc etc.

Now, from the outset you've admitted your lack of experience in the whole Streetwear thing, and your interest is a little superficial. This doesn't mean that what you want to do is impossible. The most straightforward thing I would imagine would be to find a partner who is really passionate about the whole scene and work on this project together.

And yeah, even though I personally shop online tons, I agree with the guys at NDG about selling stuff online. The fact is that you're selling clothing, which is much more personal than a camera or a book. You can list the tech specs of a sweatshirt or a pair of shoes down to the micrometre, but that's just plain cold.

As an owner of a high end store, you will want to be very careful about what you stock. You're not running a Dollar Store here, right? You want your customers to trust that you have picked the times in store with intelligence, taste, and vision. You want your customers to trust you. You want your customers to come back, to confide, to look forward to what you'll be bringing in. You'll want to show your customers that you really have The Good Stuff and you want to be able to show them the actual product, and how they feel and how they look and what goes with what, etc. You're not going to be able to do that online.

Sure, you'll be able to sell tons to the lowest bidder, but that won't get you any love from James.

Edited by Kane on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Edited by Kane on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:39 AM