Is it time to get off a sinking ship?

homi29

"There comes a time in every economic crisis, or more specifically, in every struggle to recover from a crisis, when someone steps up to the podium to promise the policies that — they say — will deliver you back to growth. The person has political support, a strong track record, and every incentive to enter the history books. But one nagging question remains. Can this person, your new economic strategist, really break with the vested elites that got you into this much trouble?"

And here's the man who asked that question. Simon Johnson is former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund. He now teaches global economics and management at MIT's Sloan School of Management and is a senior fellow of the Peterson Institute. He is co-founder of that website I quoted — baselinescenario.com — where he analyzes the global economic and financial crisis."

"I think I'm signaling something a little bit shocking to Americans, and to

myself, actually. Which is the situation we find ourselves in at this

moment, this week, is very strongly reminiscent of the situations we've seen many times in other places.But they're places we don't like to think of ourselves as being similar to. They're emerging markets. It's Russia or Indonesia or a Thailand type situation, or Korea. That's not comfortable. America is different. America is special. America is rich. And, yet, we've somehow find ourselves in the grip of the same sort of crisis and the same sort of oligarchs."

"Are you saying that the Banking industry Trumps the President, the Congress and the American government when it comes to this issue so crucial to the survival of American democracy?"

"Both the "Wall Street Journal" and "The New York Times" reported this week that Obama's top two political aides, Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod, have pushed for tougher action against the banks. But they didn't prevail. Obama apparently sided with Geithner and the Treasury Department in using a velvet glove."

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02132009/transcript1.html

DISCUSS!

thoughts opinions anyone?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...