Is it time to get off a sinking ship?

homi29

You're right...but my other post implied that we're even capable of heading in that direction...I don't see that as possibility....not even in a billion years. It would solve all these problems but we'd be monsters.

You'll have to clarify what you mean by "that direction." Which direction do you speak of?

As far as transhumanism, I think the objective should be to to maintain independence of technology within our natural habitats if need be. Technology is great, and I'm all for discovery, yet, all things in moderation.

I feel that if we rely on technology to prop us up and maintain our well-being regardless of the flaws that would otherwise force us to evolve into a far more advanced social being, we're only prolonging the inevitable or bringing the wrath of such a mistake even closer. See: The Borg ;)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i edited my post....see above. :P

A complete reliance on technology would force us to evolve into a hive mind and at the same time present huge problems of unrest. The horrors of such fast-paced pseudo-evolution would bring us down much faster than...

... The inevitable fact that a continued existence within large societies will lead to a hive-mind as well. A hive mentality is probably the biproduct of any free-moving organic societal mass. A slow natural evolution might be the only way that our sense individuality would eventually, and slowly, weed itself out of existence all together. It's there because its necessary to our survival. We would need to slowly remove that as a necessity. Though, without the ego, an organism cannot survive on its own. That's the trade off. Relying on our own technological innovations would be a pseudo-evolution and while our bodies might evolve into those capable of functioning within a hive, our minds probably will not.

Either way, both would be means to the same end. One would simply be a smoother, though longer, transition into the other. Forcing that with technology would be a much harder ride for those who had to experience the transition first hand. If we employed technology to destroy that sense of self, it would have to be inflicted against the populations. I don't think that even the most staunch communist douchbags would submit to such an authoritarian and easily corruptible notion as that.

What was this thread about, again?

Exactly....in the remote chance it could happen naturally....it would have to happen at such a slow pace..even by typical evolutionary standards....and the world would have to accept a single governing entity...the one-world government would have to happen first....i think physical cultural traits would also get in the way of this happening naturally.

The thing is, in a way, we're already living in small pseudo-hives....I mean, we have our Queen(s)..and we have our scouts, and our workers...difference is that we have just as many unpredictable rogues vying for power.....geography trumps telepathy :P.....

Exactly....in the remote chance it could happen....it would have to happen at such a slow pace..even by typical evolutionary standards....and the world would have to accept a single governing entity...the one-world government would have to happen first.

The thing is, in a way, we're already living in small pseudo-hives....I mean, we have our Queen(s)..and we have our scouts, and our workers...difference is that we have just as many unpredictable rogues vying for power.....geography trumps telepathy :P.....

We also have the ability of upward mobility and the ability to CHOOSE MATES/KIN.

Even within the societies of hive organisms, the very top vies for power. Ant queens duke it out real serious. In some colonies there is even more than one queen present. Mind fuck.

It's neat to think that even though we try to find a resolve to all of this chaos, we're unique to this world in that we always strive against our nature. It's our nature to react directly against our nature. We should be moving in small packs but for safety against small packs we created large societies. Within these large societies we cannot find peace yet we strive to control the chaos we willingly bring upon ourselves.

The greatest opposition to change are those that seek to support a creaking system which only furthers their own greed

Very true. So what's the solution? Honestly, I don't see any way around it, outside of a revolution (or large-scale assassinations...i didn't say that).

manufactoring in North America has been decimated and all that work has already moved abroad. What we have now is a service economy that wont work unless theres people who can afford/desire those services.

We need to be asking ourselves how to steer clear of this trap. I don't feel like I prepared properly with a business degree. I'm starting to think going back to school would be a really good idea, but I'm scared to go throw myself further in debt only to come out into another bare job market.

People who are down to peace out of a country whenever there signs of trouble/decline clearly dont contribute to society as a whole anyway.. so if your really just a mark that runs away from problems rather than helping to solve them then yeah you should totally get the fuck out of NA and good riddance, youre part of the problem.

I think this notion stems from the feeling of lack of control over one's own life. It seems, at times, that the only way to improve one's standing in our society is to be one of the "takers." Most times, those who rise to the top without sacrificing themselves morally seem to be doing it on pure talent (the numerous multi-millionaire sports stars, etc) or pure luck (e.g., a lottery winner). Most of the others who actually "make it" seem to be doing it off of pure bullshit or a loooooooooong bit of schooling/hard work (though, I would not consider the vast majority of doctors out there "wealthy"). For someone who would prefer to be honest about themselves, this can get frustrating, and the notion of leaving isn't brought on because we want to abandon the problems here. It's because we no longer believe in a system which places greed over virtue.

I had to gently remind people that the best way out of this is to make the effort to buy from small, local, family businesses. This means No supermarkets. No home depot. No giant corporate nationals. Shop small. Pay the extra 25 cents per item and you'll see your community stabalize. Social-minded consumerism will help us stabilize on a local level while creating... Jobs!

This is a great thought, but considering Wal-mart and McDonald's were the only 2 companies in the DOW to earn a profit over the last year, I do not find it to be exceptionally realistic.

Very true. So what's the solution? Honestly, I don't see any way around it, outside of a revolution (or large-scale assassinations...i didn't say that).

I wish I knew more about it or had something to offer as a concrete solution

but i think you provided an answer to why things will change

we no longer believe in a system which places greed over virtue

I unwittingly took part in the very first May Day anti-capitalist riots in London as I had gone on my weekly record buying trip and got sidetracked at the train station. Some crusties handed me fistfulls of literature explaining the history of banking etc and while I was later being beaten with police truncheons, I felt there might be some truth to it.

that was in '99 and yet I still have a bank account, credit cards and a mortgage because I like to buy stuff and wash my hair

there is no language or structure yet to replace the one we live by and everyone is right to think that this is a unique set of circumstances, it has to change for our continued survival

This is a great thought, but considering Wal-mart and McDonald's were the only 2 companies in the DOW to earn a profit over the last year, I do not find it to be exceptionally realistic.

And why is that? Smart, ethical business practices that are good for our economy? Wal-Mart forces US manufacturers to outsource jobs and every level of production to keep the cost of manufacturing low and that kills the quality of the product so nobody else wants it. The end product is our shitty economy. Outsourcing our jobs and importing far more than we export in the long run is a very, very bad thing.

I unwittingly took part in the very first May Day anti-capitalist riots in London as I had gone on my weekly record buying trip and got sidetracked at the train station. Some crusties handed me fistfulls of literature explaining the history of banking etc and while I was later being beaten with police truncheons, I felt there might be some truth to it.

Ugh. Crusts. I hate crusts. But I have to agree with them...

... We really have to reform the central banking system. People have to pay for what they've done. From playing both sides in war-profiteering to the money trap they've railroaded each and every one of us into through debt (our national economy is controlled by a central FIAT bank of issue. It's a private bank that's never truly audited in the legit sense. How can we sit here and let this be?) , their network controls all things. The Federal Reserve Act of 1913 was completely unconstitutional. We were protected specifically from these people by our founding fathers and now they should pay. According to Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution, only Congress has the right to issue money and regulate its value, so it is illegal for private interests to do so. Whether you like it or not we live in a macro-feudalism. I'm just not down with that shit. You want change? Jump on the bandwagon and take down the Federal reserve. Charge these motherfuckers with treason.

Looks like some people didn't take big enough gulps of their koolaids.

Looks like somebody has to see themselves talk regardless of what it is they have to say. Which is generally nothing at all. Idiot. If you don't have anything intelligent to add to a decent conversation, fuck off. The grown ups are talking. Once again, the kiddie table is over there, at superdenim.

Yeah, I got the neg rep...thanks brother.

Super trash is the kiddy table, by the way, and I'm throwing gnawed chicken bones.

I thought I remember something about no politics in the trash, which I think is an absurd rule. But, the trash is just that, so deal with it. You should try sizing up your undies... take the stress off.

I know what Wal-mart does to our economy. I would venture to say most people know what they do to our economy. Unfortunately, that hasn't reduced the size of their checkout lines one bit. Poor American needs cheap goods.

We could rattle off to everyone we know but the major media still won't cover Ron Paul 4 years from now.

I think its good for these topics to be discussed at sufu. Any venue for people to organize against this bullshit is a good one, imo.

I still have the same question. How we gon fix it? No point in talking problems without talking solutions...

Yen, are you really telling us not to talk politics because it's against "the rules?" That's really lame. Really. Thanks for raising the red flag! Go tell the teacher!

Q,

Well, the problems can't sit in the background any more which is why Ron Paul had a bigger following than I think washington was willing to anticipate. Next time around, somebody promoting reforms as drastic as he was will probably receive even more sympathy from the american public. One answer isn't enough because we're here because of a multitude of problems. We have lobbies that are far too powerful and to oppose them brings blackmail and the wrath of an organized syndicate to your doorstep (See: The Israel Lobby and The ADL). People are scared, and at first when people are scared they react without thinking. That already happened, now people are scared and see the consequences of their acting without thinking so they look further into the issue. When that happens, and when the majority or even a large, vocal, educated sector of the population does this, change will take effect (hopefully). People won't be afraid anymore... They'll be angry. Again, there's no one universal answer, but there's a multitude of answers to a multitude of problems. Each needs to be addressed. So what question are you looking to have answered?