Murda Muzik appreciation thread.

the_state

Gfunk Doc, Notesee, Hebay - where y'all at?

how goddam slept on is this shit? prob one of my fav albums of the 90s, any genre.

P fuckin killed shit left and right. havoc was at the top of his game. i mean... damn. what a great fuckin album. takes me way the fuck back, can't believe it's been 10 years since i started getting really salty over all the release date pushbacks.

Good call.

Around the time I first acquired a whip in a NY summer I was getting into Murda Muzik again and you can best believe it was pumping. So I always associate the release with my first driving experiences, haha.

This album is probably the 2nd most played in my Mobb Deep catalog. For me, Hell on Earth is the least played out of the classics. Was giving it some love earlier tonight though.

I think some Mobb fans push this album aside because Hav's beats evolved and they still wanted the same super grit on the previous two offerings.

Nowadays, I haven't been giving it as much attention as it deserves. Put it in the deck as soon as I read the post. QU goodness.

Haha a whole thread for this album? Wow a little OD...coulda gone in my QB thread (*plug*). But in contradicting the previous sentiments (a little time to kill while this food heats up)...

Murda Muzik was actually the album that got me back into bumping Mobb for long long periods of time. So many memories associated with said masterpiece. Pee was flawless on that...and I felt that Hav's beats were (yeah I'ma say it) still gritty and dark...though it wasn't the Mobb heads grew up with (they were progressing with the times...more bottle throwing in the clubs, bigger chains/jewels, fancier clothes, plus weird (celeb) guest cameos...it wasn't your mid-90's hip hop anymore). Seriously though...that album is pure grimey.

THe moment I saw the "Quiet Storm" video, I was floored. The language in the rhymes, the beat...shit was amazing...even the video, regardless of the shoddy rocket effects, was still ill to me (metal gear solid pee). I even liked the remix (though it took a second) just because Pee's verse was so nasty on it. What else...

Re: Hav's production...frankly, I'd be pissed if I got another Infamous, beat-wise. It was about to be 2000...the sound HAD to evolve past the crusty reverb-packed treble'y drums. The great thing was that they didn't go the keyboard route, yet the sound was a little bit crisper than the previous album(s)...though the shit was still some gritty piano or organ loops over basslines and drums (vintage Mobb steez). Havoc was to the East coast what Muggs was to the West...'cept he was able to make beats that thumped a bit more (aka "we could play this in a club").

Mobb, for almost a decade, was that duo you could always count on to bring something dark, yet VERY appealing to the table. It was ill cause those dudes would get played in clubs, yet the songs weren't styled like typical "club bangers" (see almost anything after Life After Death-era Bad Boy...think "bells" and funnystyle hooks). "Quiet Storm" got so much love in clubs, still does, and that song has NO cliche club elements about it (just an addictive bass drum pattern that, coincidentally, girls could gyrate to as well). The only thing club friendly about that album, aside from the Lil Kim remix, is the hook to "It's Mine"...thanks for singing it out for us Nas (although "Calm Down" was a classic Nas singing moment).

Cameos: So many good ones...Mega, Raekwon, G Rap...the 8 Ball & MJG track was gangsta for various reasons...South OG's. Lil Cease stuck out like a sore thumb on "I'm Goin All Out" for me...but I just zone to the beat.

I dunno...I'ma go put that shit on now. Thanks fuckers.

Also... I want to add that G Rap is God.

Raekwon is God Jr.

^sorta...there was a street dvd release apparently...and a small chunk of it (the only bit I've ever seen...after that, you don't need to see anymore) in the Mobb Deep mixtape/DVD that came out soon after Free Agents (both of which were solid, post-Inafmy/pre-G Unit return of a more aggressive Pee, releases)...I forget what the shit was called, but I have it in my old room somewhere. I feel like the word "infamous" was in the title...hmm.

It had some funny footage of them in Amsterdam's Red Light District...blatantly filming the whores and one flips out and calls the cameraman (I think it was Twin) "a fucking nigger"... also lotsa fake G posing by Pee flashing guns...and a nice scene with Pee test driving a new Porsche (someone else was in the Cayenne) which served as a preview to the track "What A Real Mobb'a Do"...crazy Alchemist joint.

thread inspired me to give another listen. (go here for too many albums)

only comment i have, is now that i live in NY, I realize this album (as well as infamous, hell on earth) is meant to be played in this city. Listening to this in my car in Delaware in the summer was not the same as it would have been hearing it played in the city.

Also Nas' verse gets progressively better on It's Mine.

wow you said Delaware...haha.

Funny irony about that is I had a mixtape trading friend out in Delaware when the net was all BBS' and Compuserve was my only means of signing online. His boys went on to start up AllHipHop.com.

But yeah...Murda Muzik is straight NYC shit...as was most of that prime QB stuff.

Props on the blog link. For all QB related shit I check this: qbmerlin.blogspot.com. Might've been posted already, but just in case anyone missed it in the QB thread.

Hebay, I think the name of the release you mentioned earlier is called Infamous Archives. Never checked those DVDs but I tried to watch the Murda Muzik movie, couldn't get through it all. Kept zoning out.

Back to guests on this album ... I like 8-Ball's appearance the best. Especially the last couple of lines in the verse, illy.

I have to throw in that Free Agents mixtape again. Havoc's track The Illest got a lot of spins around my way. I remember the bonus disc had a Poet joint I really liked too.

Haha yeah 8Ball was ill but damn...you're putting a Southern cat up against G Rap and Chef? Not to mention Mega? Oooooooooohhh...

Yeah Free Agents was the shit for sure. Disc 2 also had "The Message"...which was a classic, Pee mimicking "The Message" but with "NWO/Illuminati" raps over a sinister as fuck (and bonkers) Alchemist beat. That beat makes me want to make a beat. Gotta remember to pick this up at the old crib tomorrow.

I'll check for the dvd title also...