Lil Wayne Interviewed by Katie Couric

jeepster

Also, whoever it was that said Wayne isn't a good role model to the kids in the streets, you are incorrect and also very stupid. I am sorry that I don't remember who you are, there are just too many inane posts to sift through in this thread.

Wayne is a good role model for kids. Sure, his lyrics may sometimes glorify some of the lower qualities of street life, but to people who are around that shit every day, it's not persuasive, the lyrics just state how it is.

Wayne has what I've found to be one of the best work ethics in the music industry. In a genre like hip hop, where artists come and go every summer, Wayne has continued making music for nearly 15 years. In the Couric interview, she asks him if he feels he's had to wait a long time for this success, and his answer was no. He has been working as hard as he can in the industry, biding his time, and realizes that his glory would be due to him one day.

Not to mention, this motherfucker is in college too.

Goddamn! How is he NOT a good role model?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, whoever it was that said Wayne isn't a good role model to the kids in the streets, you are incorrect and also very stupid. I am sorry that I don't remember who you are, there are just too many inane posts to sift through in this thread.

Wayne is a good role model for kids. Sure, his lyrics may sometimes glorify some of the lower qualities of street life, but to people who are around that shit every day, it's not persuasive, the lyrics just state how it is.

Not to mention, this motherfucker is in college too.

Goddamn! How is he NOT a good role model?

many of these "hustler" rappers are exploiting the hardships of life in the projects to make their wallets fatter, even while they at times never did the things they put in their songs. it's one thing to be an entertainer and tell stories, but it's another to declare yourself a gangster. rap today is shit because most people are caught up in their image rather than their music. they can easily tell black children to do well in school and that they too can be successful, but instead they send the message "i do i what i want fuck the haters".

many rappers have become wealthy, but rather than act like successful entertainers, they choose to pass themselves off as ignorant criminals. Notice how Wayne is in college and is probably an intelligent person yet he doesn't act like it? that's the problem.

also hes one of the few artists who can move millions of units and still be cool to elitist dudes

ayo theres always gotta be a sorta mainstream rapper that cool kids are into cause it gives you cred and uh...maybe you dont look like an elitist...or maybe it gives you something to talk about with black people...i dunno...

wu tang...jayz...lil wayne...

I'm having trouble discerning whether destructodisk's posts are sarcastic or not...it's too early in the morning

anyway I am probably gonna watch this a few times more...some scenes where Katie Couric asking Wayne if he was great, Wayne just had that glimmer in his eyes and affirmed it very convincingly. I need some inspiration like that in my life right now. He may be a chronic drug user with a questionable past, present and future, but shit, he is a role model for someone down and out and fairly directionless in life such as myself right now.

i think the role model thing applying to a vast arbitrary demographic is a tough one...objectively speaking I think there are few people who can fully occupy such a spot, nobody is without their demons. It boils down to how an individual interprets their role model's work or persona and takes bits and pieces to aspire to.

This may sound preposterous, but Jay-Z's music practically is the reason I made it through my teenage years alive.

I'm having trouble discerning whether destructodisk's posts are sarcastic or not...it's too early in the morning

anyway I am probably gonna watch this a few times more...some scenes where Katie Couric asking Wayne if he was great, Wayne just had that glimmer in his eyes and affirmed it very convincingly. I need some inspiration like that in my life right now. He may be a chronic drug user with a questionable past, present and future, but shit, he is a role model for someone down and out and fairly directionless in life such as myself right now.

i think the role model thing applying to a vast arbitrary demographic is a tough one...objectively speaking I think there are few people who can fully occupy such a spot, nobody is without their demons. It boils down to how an individual interprets their role model's work or persona and takes bits and pieces to aspire to.

This may sound preposterous, but Jay-Z's music practically is the reason I made it through my teenage years alive.

Jay Z is a good role model; he's intelligent, successfull, and carries himself well. not to mention he wants to rhyme like common sense, but he did 5 million and hasn't been rhyming like common since. :)

if you're a rapper and doing what it takes to sell records it's one thing, but outside of the recording studio when you portray yourself as some idiotic criminal it's bad for the black people of this country. then again i'm not very Americanized, so i suppose i may feel different than other black people on this subject.

truth be told, some rappers haven't even had to engage in criminal activities to support themselves, they just rap about it because it's profitable. why is it that they can't just be a successful entertainer, they must try to pass themselves off as a criminal?

^ you also have to remember the dude is 24 right? how many of us would be "good role models" if we were in his shoes? hell no would i be in college if i had that much money and drugs around me all the time. get real.

if i were in his shoes i would help my community here in america and be a positive role model for black people. but the first thing i would do if i became rich like him would be go to my home country, Haiti, and pass out as much food as possible and try to help the people of Haiti as much as I possibly could.

many of these "hustler" rappers are exploiting the hardships of life in the projects to make their wallets fatter, even while they at times never did the things they put in their songs. it's one thing to be an entertainer and tell stories, but it's another to declare yourself a gangster. rap today is shit because most people are caught up in their image rather than their music. they can easily tell black children to do well in school and that they too can be successful, but instead they send the message "i do i what i want fuck the haters".

many rappers have become wealthy, but rather than act like successful entertainers, they choose to pass themselves off as ignorant criminals. Notice how Wayne is in college and is probably an intelligent person yet he doesn't act like it? that's the problem.

I think that you're struggling with the idea that there is a smart person out there that doesn't conform to your preconceived notion of how a smart person should act. Wayne has been doing Wayne his whole life, and I don't believe he intends on stopping anytime soon.

Just because he's not rapping about algebra doesn't mean he can't have a positive impact on people's lives. He is a shining beacon of individuality in an industry full of imitators, and he is extremely successful. Maybe his message to the youths is to retain their individuality, and do what they want. That's not such a bad thing in my mind.

ps - Billy Barbados, I don't think you understand the music industry very well, either. If all Wayne did was go around spreading wisdom and peace in the 9th ward of N.O., he would be a social worker, not a superstar rapper.

I think that you're struggling with the idea that there is a smart person out there that doesn't conform to your preconceived notion of how a smart person should act. Wayne has been doing Wayne his whole life, and I don't believe he intends on stopping anytime soon.

Just because he's not rapping about algebra doesn't mean he can't have a positive impact on people's lives. He is a shining beacon of individuality in an industry full of imitators, and he is extremely successful. Maybe his message to the youths is to retain their individuality, and do what they want. That's not such a bad thing in my mind.

when does he spend time with people from his projects, or gives them a free concert, or anything? he's not concerned with them, he has his money and that's all he cares for. i wasn't making it up when i said once he acquired money he moved to the wealthy part of new orleans and didn't come see his people, that bit of information is directly from a friend of mine who's from New Orleans but relocated due to hurricane Katrina.

being a successful entertainer and telling other people that they can also be successful is one thing, but when you're a successful entertainer and you act as if you're still in the projects selling drugs it's just silly.

P.S. he could be a successful entertainer and still be a positive role model.