denim modification thread

akuma no uta

i searched for a thread concentrating on just modifications, not repairs, and none were found. i was thinking about adding a cinchback on the back of a pair of jeans, has anybody attempted this before? looking at pictures of jeans with a cinchback it looks pretty simple, all i would need to find was the metal hook, i figure the side without the hook would have to be a few inches longer than the other side, and theyd have to be stitched on pretty well. maybe even a rivet? please post suggestions/pictures of any jeans youve modified yourself.

Cotton duck did some cool mods to his mister freedom jeans. check that thread. there are some other small things done by people scattered about the threads. But most people tend to modify their jeans after some wear- for example when my jeans got a hole in the back pocket i put a leather patch over the hole. form is defined by function, function comes from wear.

just my two cents

as for the cinch- good luck! post pics when your done.

I have done no modifications so far, but ever since picking up the USA Sam's I have been tempted to add a crotch rivet to every pair of jeans I own.

In the same vein, those Sam's are now like +5 after I lost some weight :( I would love to have DD or someone attempt to slim them down so I could still wear them, but I am afraid they might end up as some sort of weird frankenstein BS (not to mention I am sure that would be pretty pricey work to have done). Sigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know Diesel gets a lot of shit on this forum, among others, but they actually do a lot of great stuff if you know how to customise it and style it. I think much of the snobbery and negativity towards the label is undeserved. People that really understand fashion can work with many of the pieces in Diesel's collections. Anyway, here's a Safado jean that I customised myself. It's been tapered from the knee down and then hemmed.

DieselSafado-1.jpg

My Black Imperial Shearer´s were really tight and I decided I wanted something more relaxed so I took them to my taylor and did this modification.

The work that has been done is very tidy but I´ve lost the rivets on the sideo of the pockets.

I´m really happy with the result and I think it gives the jeans a special detail.

frontubc.jpg"]frontubc.jpg[/url]

backkiz.jpg"]backkiz.jpg[/url]

sidezkd.jpg"]sidezkd.jpg[/url]

insideq.jpg"]insideq.jpg[/url]

• 1 month later...

so i was in need of a new pair of jeans and found a pair of naked and famous at a good price

such a good price that i don't even mind fucking around with my mediocre sewing skills modifying them more to my liking

first things first, i understand most of the weird guys have proper double felled inseams but these are skinny guys and had a shitty overlocked inseam. i'm going to double fell it...

1. rip out the seams and open up the legs (not pictured)

2. sew the inner seam about 2.5cm in. trim one of the pieces to about 1cm

3696763005_5cbee63328_o.jpg

3. fold the bigger edge under the smaller edge... iron it

3696763337_b75ce9ff3c_o.jpg

4. flip that shit over and sew it up

3697573686_57e9f0a64f_o.jpg

(optional 4.1) fuck up the seam and have to rip it and redo it

3697572002_126cda1c08_o.jpg

5. sew along the seam a second time so it looks like this

3697575184_3644ecbf28_o.jpg

6. sew the selvage together again...

and voila, one pair of jeans with a double felled inseam...

tomorrow! i'll fuck around with the pockets ...

3697575426_ec2f631097_o.jpg

today i messed with the pockets

actually, first i cut off a few inches of the leg and hemmed them because i don't like huge stacks

hemming jeans is super easy, you just fold the edge and (optional) iron it,

3699319737_8c19be9d80_o.jpg

and then fold again, (optional) iron again, and sew it.

of course, even though its super easy be careful going over the felled seams, theyre pretty thick and if you're a fuckup like myself you might break your needle which is a hassle.

3700129850_ebdfe42a2e_o.jpg

end result isn't a chainstitched masterwork but its pretty decent

3703565494_1c3acea591_o.jpg

alright

so everyone knows levis pockets, they've sort of become a platonic ideal to some repro fans, they are what all other pockets aspire to be like. +++redtab.hiddenrivets.arcuates etc etc

this forum has tons of examples of people sewing arcs, or attaching a tab to their pockets

which is cool, its partly about imitating this ideal but also part about modifying your jeans, customizing them and making them uniquely your own

anyway, i won't get into the details but i have a personal preference for Lee jeans, especially their pockets

so i decided to tear off my back pockets, reshaped them into shields add the lazy S arc and reattach them with X bartacks. and line them for good measure

the first part of reshaping the pockets is ripping off them off. compared to all the stitches i had to rip to take apart the legs this is nothing

3703565520_e6d26f3640_o.jpg

next i created a template by tracing the original pocket and using its dimensions to create an appropriately sized template. since the two pockets will be symetrical to one another i only need to make one template, this side of it is the right pocket, flip it over and the other side is the left

3703565514_ceaf4a7788_o.jpg

folding the pocket to match the template was a lot harder than it would have been if i hadn't had to fold curves. there was a lot of ironing and adjusting and re-ironing, and then i trimmed the extra fabric and did more adjusting and re-ironing. when i was done i lined the pockets with some tie dyed bits of oxford cotton

3703565524_cd8f33f38c_o.jpg

i planned out the lazy S and adjusted the template to guide me in sewing the pocket design

3703565526_0049482551_o.jpg

attached the finished pockets to the jeans...

3703565530_508e28dc9d_o.jpg

and then i bartacked the corners with a lot of zig zag stitch

3702775613_3d7f9b3fbb_o.jpg

at the last minute i took the patch, trimmed it and handsewed it onto the right pocket

3703583624_b608dfc599_o.jpg

this was inspired by the wrangler patch and especially by these

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...