The Moccasin Thread

I followed South Willard's recommendation (not Quoddy's) and I bought my usual size in the Quoddy for SW bluchers and they fit really well. A little big without socks, a little tight with socks, but nothing uncomfortable, rather the opposite actually, and you can always tighten the laces up, so I would advise against sizing down.

I never bought Nike, Vans, Red Wings or Sperry, but wear 41 in Common Projects if that's of any help.

Arrow Canoe Mocs came in last week. Here's a pic:

DSCF3032.jpg

I wore them all weekend on a trip, and now I have blisters everywhere. 5 on one foot, 2 on the other. So I have to figure out what is causing this. If I tighten the laces, I get blisters on my bunion-laced toes. If I keep the laces loose, my heels get the rubbing. I'm hoping they loosen up, look at this pic:

DSCF3033.jpg

The stiff laces make the upper part of this shoe into a pressure-point trap. Any advice?

Even with the pain, I'm loving how they look, and am reassured by fellow moccasin owners that once broken in they'll be my favorite pair of footwear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They are not made by Yuketen. It says they are made by Lauretian Chief (which is a Canadian company that produces their stuff in Canada) for Monitaly, (Source OiPolloi).

They are not made by Yuketen. It says they are made by Lauretian Chief (which is a Canadian company that produces their stuff in Canada) for Monitaly, (Source OiPolloi).

Ya, I know, but the oipolloi email said:

"Well Friday sees the arrival of a new genuine mocc boot in suede, brought to us by the people behind Yuketen."

I'm just wondering how they're associated...

I'm usually a 9 in other shoes, i've got a pair of the rwi low tops in 8.5 that fit me well. i got the 8.5 in these as well and the fit's pretty good, maybe just pinch narrower than most red wings. i may have been able to size down to 8, but i've got a bit of a wide foot.

• 2 weeks later...

Quoddy-Oxford-1.jpg

just ordered these from the good folks at h(y)r. glad i don't have to wait 8 weeks for quoddy to make them :)

i tried on those RW wabasha chukkas at j crew and was really impressed. they're high on my list along with a pair of russell safari's if i can get the scratch together...

get the scratch? u just dropped damn near 300 for dem things!

I'm gonna be honest I really don't see the allure of those shoes. I kinda like the length of these:

quoddy-blucher-1.jpg

but there is no way I'm paying those prices when I can get other handmade shoes that look better.

you know no offense to you state i see you doin you.

the blucher is too "boat shoe" for me, but the oxfords are really on point. leather lined, hand sewn, classic style that'll look good dressed up or casual and i'll probably have them for 10 years+. i can def justify that for $250 over 2 or 3 pairs of sperry's or even some BS from rogues gallery.

anyone have these? Quoddy Dawson Mocs

2zq50s8.jpg

My questions are how do the leather bottoms hold up to city dwelling and rain? Also anyone ever seen a pic of these with the crepe sole?

I have talked to Quoddy. They assured me that city dwelling is fine. The rain can be an issue they said, but not huge. Looking for a consumers perspective vs. manufacturer.

Also they dont have pics of the crepe sole on the moc. Weird as this changes the whole look of the shoe.

they actually hold up pretty good, the leather is tough as nails. I have the a couple pair of the ring mocs with the same bottoms. (if anyone wants a pick up shop near me have them for $250) i dont remember ever wearing them in the rain, but by the looks of em you'll have zero traction running from the the city cops in the rain.

I just shoot to kill. Never have to run that way.

My main concern would be having a soaked foot. If i spent the money I'd want to wear them, so to be hindered on a rainy day would suck.

What kind of area do you live in and how much walking do you do in them?

live in boston, which have pretty much same weather as nyc. When the snow comes break out the LL bean duck boot, but i dont think you will get you feet soaked with these. These guys are alot cheaper in stores compared to the website. fckin $249!! but be aware that when you get them the color is alot lighter because they are not oiled yet. kinda like corter/tanner belts.