The Moccasin Thread

i've got a pair of quoddy boat shoes in size 10. i typically wear a 10.5 in sneakers/dress shoes, and i have a size 10 clark's desert boot. just got these coming my way in a 10. will report on sizing:

cdff_1.JPG

excited am i

those are the most beautiful boots I've ever seen. I'm assuming you're ordering custom from Quoddy. I have brown bluchers, and love them, and dig the Rogue's Gallery and Albam 'deck boot'. How much those running you, and what's the lead time?

love it.

you might try PMing "mechanical pencil" on here. that's who i got them from... it was an eBay purchase. these aren't the normal "peanut grizzly" leather; they've got this heavy oily coating on them that makes them quite water repellent...i'm not even completely sure how to take care of them.

been very happy with them so far though. took a day for them to get too comfortable around the feet, because i bought them small. I wanted them to sort of feel like socks on my feet, and after 3 days now they feel awesome

i'm sick tonight and bored so i'll probably takes some pics and post em.

Figured I'd post some other Moccasin links:

Minnetonka Moccasins are a staple. I know a handful of people who wear one flavor or another of these and couldn't be happier. They're not going to be super-authentic or earthy like a Quoddy or Arrow moc, but for the price, I wouldn't really choose anything else.

I'm not a moc guy though...my feet are too big so it looks funny

This place offers some pretty high-price mocs that look like they're high quality. They're custom, and you can incorporate a number of different leathers to make something relevant to your surroundings. The site design drives me nuts though, and the picture quality of the examples is terrible, so who knows what they're actually like?

Someone posted this before...Seriously don't know where that post went. I guess it was in a different thread or something. These are basically the same thing as above but the leather looks a lil prettier. Albam also ran a similar Quoddy-made boot with a boat sole.

http://www.hyrcollective.com/daily-blog/2009/01/rogues-gallery-deck-boot-again/

How do you plan to take care of those? I am unfamiliar with oily leather such as this. Every time I scuff them it leaves a light spot on the leather there. Then it gradually fades away, until it shows up out of the blue again--almost as if the humidity (or some other unknown force) brings it out or something. Not sure how to keep these things in good shape.

Are any of you familiar with Footwear by Footskins (not a catchy name)

http://www.footwearbyfootskins.com/store/item.asp?Category=3&SubCategoryID=&GroupID=&SKU=540

I would love some feedback.

The Albam deck boots and deck shoes are fantastic - I own both. Can't recommend them enough. I have tried the Rogues Gallery ones too, but they aren't as nice, as some of you have mentioned previously. I couldn't really tell the difference by looking at them, but they didn't feel as good.

AT Quinnskimo: Have you tried mink oil? It might work out. Or you could find the greasiest leather conditioner. I think it would do the trick. You might want to stay away from anything that contains beeswax. I find leather conditioners containing beesway to be useful on suede only.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll keep that beeswax comment in mind for my Clarks. The finish on those boots seems fairly waxy already, which is why I wasn't sure what to use for them. Haven't tried mink oil...haven't tried anything yet.

Dammit, I want the black Albams too. Really not that expensive considering the alternatives. Wonder if Quoddy would resole when necessary...

Are any of you familiar with Footwear by Footskins (not a catchy name)

There was mention in the mountaineering thread

but they look a little low quality maybe?

as yet untried as far as I know

AT Quinnskimo: Have you tried mink oil? It might work out. Or you could find the greasiest leather conditioner. I think it would do the trick. You might want to stay away from anything that contains beeswax. I find leather conditioners containing beesway to be useful on suede only.

I don't like to use leather treatments too often

if my shoe is dirty and scratched I use a saddle soap to clean and restore the natural oils let dry and buff

the leather glows rather than shines which I like

but after heavy use any leather conditioner is good as a restorative

Yeah, the website isn't well-designed and the pictures are shit, so they don't give the best impression of the shoes. So actually they could be good, but you are right, they look poor.

I am thinking something like Birdwell Beach Britches - worst website EVER (so horrible that it might be goodm or at least worth a laugh), but quite nice shorts though.

I wouldn't recommend using saddle soap without adding any kind of conditioner or oil. It is a way of obviously ruining the leather. Sorry to say so. I don't know which soap you are using of course, but most soaps, if not all soaps are basic which means that it will make the leather dry as and if you don't give them any oil, after washing them, there will be a natural lack of oil in the leather.

No offense, but it wouldn't be the best advice to people who aren't familiar with treating leather.

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

::: x-post from recent purchases :::

Arrow.

To be honest I'm kind of surprised by the quality. I knew people liked them, but I thought for the price there was no way they could be that nice. They are. Leather is way thick. Stitching looks perfect and very strong. Can't wait to put a little wear on them.