Chinese New Years: Time to Kop?

PandaDenim

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never heard of kueh lapis, but that layer cake shit sounds like this dim sum widely available in HK that translates to "Malay Cake" and it's pretty good.

standard CNY dishes:

- Dried oyster w/ that hair looking vegetable (good luck because it rhymes with 'prosperous market and getting rich')

- Some kind of barbecue meat, sometimes served in a potluck type dish where there's duck, chicken, mushrooms, all that shit topped with some thick gravy.

- Some kind of fish dish ('fish' rhymes with the word 'extra/plenty')

and of course you can always have shark's fin soup and abalone if you're ballin. In this economy, we had to eat the prepackaged canned abalones this year. The ones we had today tasted like shit, it had some chemical taste to it that left my mouth kinda numb.

naw i know what malay cake is it's not that stuff its so much better. malay cake is alright though.

you guys don't have the roasted pork sheets (bak kwa ) ? they're red with black cancerous bits, so fucking delicious

i stopped eating sharks fin after watching this documentary called sharkwater i think, there was this clip where they showed a shark sinking to the bottom of the ocean cuz he/she had no fuckin fins, he looked likea torpedo or something. shit made me kinda teary

oh shit i forgot about all the nian gao, radish cake and all that shit

not so much a fan of the red/brownish nian gao any more, tried a "coconut milk" nian gao this year that was pretty good.

but i'll always be a shanghainese nian gao man over the sweet variety any day of the week.

• 1 year later...
copping these wit chinese new years money and wall street bonus

lumix-zs7.jpg

Lumix ZS7

Toshiba_46SV670U_Earth.jpg

Toshiba 46SV670U

nah I dont get much from family like 400 max, bonuses are paid around the same time as chinese new year this year.

Doggie, glad you got your hustle on, but 33 year old married men should not be hustling money from oldass aging family members anymore.

Nian Gao sticky rice cake, i love the sweet kind, fresh off the frying pan lightly coated with a thin layer of fried egg.

and tang yuan, those rice balls with black esame or peanut filling, boiled in water, sometimes served in syrup water

love that stuff

fucking tang yuan has been my favorite since i was like 6 haha

there's not much happening in montreal during CNY i think. people here are more about the valentines day. what really sucks is I dont get the red envelopes until like summer when i go back to taiwan.

Killing myself on a rowing boat.

Then on the night, going home from uni and doing family shits before heading back to uni again on the sunday evening.

I get red envelope monies and my bursary from uni within a week of each other this year. I'm going to be rolling in monies.

Really looking forward to it though, it be my nephew's first CNY, not like he'll remember. I expect my bro to do a repeat of Christmas and give him something like £3000 worth of shit he will never remember or care about...or money in a savings account for the future, who knows.

How fucking old are you guys? My family stopped giving after middle school. And when I was in grade school I was broke ass in China so getting a good haul of 20-50 RMB would be like "hoooooooly shit I'm copping tons of bookleg DBZ books."

Reading this thread is making me feel like I'm on a different planet.

I give too now, but I still get but surprising since my family be toisan and they be the cheapest of all china people, like they do shit like buy a Mercedes SLK with no AC if that was an option, buy a 20k watch and still eat 3 dollar chinatown combo of lop cheung, egg, and chicken on rice at Gei Gei. I married a J beezy and get envelopes from my j family now, and my j family gets envelopes from my folks.

Another reason I think I still get is because my dad hooked all my relatives on his side up (8 uncles and aunts) and got their asses out of china legally(no golden venture). My mom's side dont give me anything, they be all hk people..