Blood Meridian - the book club

Baeyer-Drewson

Never started a thread here before so I am not exactly sure if this will be good, bad or deleted. Did a search and there is no thread about this book already.

I just finished reading Blood Meridian and I plan to read it again soon because of all the allusions and references I am sure I missed. This is some seriously heavy literature and judge Holden's character still intrigues me on a really creeped out level.

I'm looking for anyone's opinion of the novel, and also what aspects of it they liked/disliked.

For me, judge Holden is an epic character. You get the impression that he is highly intelligent but almost entirely lacking in empathy. There is the occassional moment where he seems to display some sort of empathy (ie, the several scenes with the cage-bound "freak") but McCarthy keeps the reader out of Hodlen's headspace almost completely. Makes it hard to work him out.

I am also kinda disturbed by the fact that this will potentially be turned into a film. I think the book as intended is truly unfilmable. If a film is made it will either be a really bad adaptation of the book (to meet ratings guidelines) or it will so different from the book as to bear no semblance to it apart from the loosest fragments of the general story.