Not-so-expensive-yet-cheap Hotels in Tokyo

chinoyboi

Excel tokyu in akasaka

4 min train ride to shibuya

2 min train ride to aoyama/omotesandou

The subway station is located right across the street from the hotel

http://www.tokyuhotels.co.jp/en/TE/TE_AKASA/index.shtml

the picture on this website looks crappy but the actual hotel looks really nice

do a search business hotels in tokyo, those should be ~70 give or take.

really small rooms and bed, but if all you need is a roof over your head they should be fine.

love/capsule hotels arent a good idea if you are planning on staying more than one night. alot charge by the hour

Quote:

Tokyu excel is like 180-250, is there anything else cheaper?

--- Original message by chinoyboi on Jan 5, 2006 04:11 PM

i just got back from my japan trip like.. uhh 5 hours ago? haha, we stayed at tokyu excel shibuya and it's reaaaally convenient because it's right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. JR/Tokyo Metro is right downstairs, around the corner, etc.

were you thinking like western or more traditional? because we also stayed in a place by Tokyo University called homeikan. japanese style, very good experience.

Quote:
Quote:

Tokyu excel is like 180-250, is there anything else cheaper?

--- Original message by chinoyboi on Jan 5, 2006 04:11 PM

i just got back from my japan trip like.. uhh 5 hours ago? haha, we stayed at tokyu excel shibuya and it's reaaaally convenient because it's right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. JR/Tokyo Metro is right downstairs, around the corner, etc.

were you thinking like western or more traditional? because we also stayed in a place by Tokyo University called homeikan. japanese style, very good experience.

--- Original message by samsikle on Jan 6, 2006 01:24 PM

Well I could care less if it's western or more traditional. I just need it cheap! I don't really plan on spending $1500 USD for 10 nights.

id say love hotels

most places got crazy selection of amenities like

karaoke, slot machines, PS2, plasma screen tv, vending machine (yes, inside your

hotel room)

it just looks really awkward to come out of that kinda hotel by yourself

If you're willing to be flexible, hit the JTB when you land and they will book you whatever kind of accomodation you wish to stay in, instantly. It'll be bargain price cheaper than pre-booking an overpriced homogenous chain high rise that could be anycityanywhere, and simple because they do it for travellers everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as cheap and catering to westerners goes:

http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/

kimi ryokan in ikkebukuro. It's not exactly in the middle of things, but the JR is close and will take you anywhere you want to go. Only 4,500 yen a night for a single. I've stayed there a couple times, the staff is friendly, speaks english, and is more than willing to help you find things. Also, since it caters to international travellers, you'll meet a lot of weird people there who may or may not know about cool things in Tokyo. I've met swedes, czechs, austrailians, french, germans, and americans all staying there.

Nice traditional-style rooms as well, with a shared bath. Make sure to bring your own soap.

ill be in japan this summer from june/july for a few months... ill compete with the cheapest hotel price you can find for a night in my palace of love....

oh yes oh yes!

no round beds though...

but ill be maximum of 2 stops on tube to shibuya/harajuku... thats pretty much walking distance! :)

my recommendation is for the presso inn - shinjuku. it's a "business hotel" run by keio (a large department store company), with several other locations (but mostly in boring business areas). the shinjuku one is a five-ten minute walk to bright lights and madness of shinjuku station and is brand new, so all the rooms are spotless. the rooms however, are *tiny*, --but what are you doing in your hotel room anyway --you should be out there getting chewed up and spit out by the meat grinder that is tokyo!

singles 8000Â¥

doubles 10,000Â¥

http://www.presso-inn.com/english/shinjuku.html

(it even comes with free breakfast! who can beat that?)

Quote: How far is presso from harajuku/aoyama? I'm assuming those places are the ebst to shop/chill.

Harajuku is 2 stops away on the yamanote line so if i remember correctly, they say it's 5 min although it might be 4 (well you get the point). you could even walk if you wanted to, i'd say about 30 min. so it's really close. and although there's isn't much good shopping to do in Shinjuku in my opinion, it's still one of the nicest neighborhoood in Tokyo, very lively at night. althought Harajuku/Aoyama is a cool place, there's much much more in Tokyo than only that, don't limit your visits to there.

• 2 months later...

^^^ www.tokyohostel.com; I did a TON of research on here and elsewhere before I left, and this was the best recommendation of my trip. It is in Azabu-Juban, a very upscale area where you can walk to Roppongi from, i.e. you can club/stripclub your ass off until 4 am and walk home in 10 minutes, the location is fucking amazing, Amir who runs the place is awesome, plus it is only $26 per night (keep in mind, obviously that is is a hostel, so you share bunk beds with people, but it is super clean, fairly spacious, and has a very nice common room with free internet, TV, etc. where everyone hangs out)

Plus, you are only a couple stops from Harajuku/Shibuya, there is an Onsen like 2 blocks from the place, etc., etc. I can't stress the hostel experience more because there are alot of guys who have been living there for 3-4 months; they know their shit and are more than willing to show you around the area (roppongi, etc.) if you don't know it very well.......although I take it you have already been to Tokyo before.......

^^ Actually, you would be surprised..usually after a certain hour (around 12 pm) the guy who runs the place (who is only 25, and very cool) and most people have left the common room, plus there is normally a few decent girls staying at the hostel who are down to stay out/get drunk, so when everyone else passes out, you are good to go, heh heh. But seriously, if you are out at a nightclub and you know you are going to be bringing a girl back, rent a love hotel/pay for a normal hotel, in the end it is worth it, isn't it?

ok you have a couple options.

like someone said before, azabu-juban is one of the best places to stay for cheap. you can get a room for 3000 yen a night. it is best to find someone who can speak and read japanese because i don't think these places cater to foreigners.

here is another tip:

there are many internet cafe's that run a 5 or 7 hour special at night. so you can stay from midnight to 5-7 am. cost is less than $10. they have free non-alcoholic drinks and there is a shower you can use. if you are by yourself, this is the cheapest way to go. the regular hourly rates are also cheap anyways, so you can get a couple hours of sleep pretty cheaply.

btw, japanese internet cafes provide you with a large comfy reclining chair, internet access, tv, magazines all in your private little booth.

there is a great internet cafe right in the middle of roppongi with a beautiful view of the city.

hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

like someone said before, azabu-juban is one of the best places to stay for cheap. you can get a room for 3000 yen a night. it is best to find someone who can speak and read japanese because i don't think these places cater to foreigners.

here is another tip:

there are many internet cafe's that run a 5 or 7 hour special at night. so you can stay from midnight to 5-7 am. cost is less than $10. they have free non-alcoholic drinks and there is a shower you can use. if you are by yourself, this is the cheapest way to go. the regular hourly rates are also cheap anyways, so you can get a couple hours of sleep pretty cheaply.

btw, japanese internet cafes provide you with a large comfy reclining chair, internet access, tv, magazines all in your private little booth.

there is a great internet cafe right in the middle of roppongi with a beautiful view of the city.

hope this helps!

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 10:12 AM

how do you go about booking a internet cafe?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Quote:
Quote:

here is another tip:

hope this helps!

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 12, 2006 10:12 AM

how do you go about booking a internet cafe?

--- Original message by poly800rock on Apr 25, 2006 10:11 PM

you don't book. it's an internet cafe, so you go into the cafe and pay for a certain amount of hours. it's really the sweetest deal for a place to sleep in tokyo. it's designed for businessmen ("salary-man") who miss the last train back home and have to go to work in the morning. many of them crash at the internet cafe, wake up, use the shower, go to the discount store and buy a cheap dress shirt and their good to go.