Visvim S/S 09

velvetant

yeah, i get the impression union isn't really thrilled with having to charge that much though. the dudes there genuinely love the products and when you have to charge a lot for stuff it becomes harder to sell which in turn means you can't order as much or some of the more unconventional pieces.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True that. I just stopped by union LA today. They literally have maybe 10 pieces of the current season's visvim stuff. The prices were bad, but not quite as bad as I was expecting given all the bitching on here. Button down shirts and chinos were around $300, wallets $150. Didn't check the rest since there wasn't much there anyway. For some reason the older stuff is still only like 25% off though.

this is just my little spat of deductive reasoning. i'm sure someone will tell me i'm dead fucking wrong but whatever.

i doubt visvim is going to give them a huge discount. they just don't need their business that badly. so, for union, having visvim is like an audi dealership having an R8. the profit margins on $120k halo cars are surprisingly terrible but they get people's interest sparked and into the dealership. next, if shipping is $40 for one pair of shoes, imagine what union is paying to get that shit here. once it gets here, you have a pay a tariff. i'm not up on the rates but i imagine because of the costs of goods being imported is already high, they're paying a lot in taxes just to get it out of customs. then you have to factor in the amount of time spent going through this bullshit, store overhead costs, rising yen, slumping sales from the shit economy, etc. After all this, they still need to make a profit. like i said before, union seems to be stocking visvim because they truly love their products, not to gouge a bunch of dorks.

its a bummer for fans that the prices have risen so much, but 2 years ago visvim wasn't having photo shoots in fucking cuba or having 2 full seasons of 2.5 different lines a year. the folk line must've cost a fucking shit-ton in development, 2/3s of the shoes have a different outsole, whereas visvim had like 2 cheap ass outsoles they used before. its just how it is and if the brand is too rich for your blood, then sign online and tell everyone "visvim is dead."

Hmm yeah, that's what I've been thinking. But supposedly they came out with the Bickles?

the nomads came out, both the 3L and the 2.5L dado. with the economy being how it is i'll venture a guess that resellers aren't taking any chances on $800 jackets. probably why there's like only 2 listings for the new outerwear on yahoo.jp auctions. union is going to be getting the foleys and logans next week, among other things, so they might be getting the nomads. i dunno for sure.

union is so expensive for several reasons.

1. high cost prices. the retail for a pair of shoes may be 37,500 yen, but the cost for union to even get the shoe is like 35,500. thats why they mark it up by 100-150 bucks. just trying to make some money back on a niche market

2. cash on motherfucking delivery. most brands allow you to paya bit for the product before it gets there, and finish paying after you sell it. not visvim, they require the money upfront for everything before you even get the product. so basically, union has to spend 10 g's to even carry the shit, and of course they wanna make their money back and profit.

3. shipping/taxes/tariffs. a friend of mine who owns a store was (maybe still is) planning on carrying visvim in his store. he was planning on selling the shoes at japan retail cost, making very little money, until he got the statement. with the high cost price, and the taxes, it would cost more than japan retail for him to even buy the shoes to sell at his store,.

4. demand. even though some f/w shit is still there at 25% off, i know union ny clears most of their visvim stock pretty quick. why not charge a premium for a product that only YOU sell?

so yeah, american prices are higher.oh well. the new shoes are still bright colored and ugly as fuck. bring back the folk s/s 08 shit.

so .....

Supply in Sydney is the cheapest in the world apart from Japan!

AUD$1699 RRP = EU860 = USD$1095

how much are they in HK FIL ?

oh yeah don't bother converting to Yen the AUD has totally tanked against it. Worth 60 and year ago was worth 100 :o(

so .....

oh yeah don't bother converting to Yen the AUD has totally tanked against it. Worth 60 and year ago was worth 100 :o(

i think HK FIL was HKD 8550... or USD 1105...

Am away for a few days so no pics as yet but have a pair of US10 veggie moc lo's deadstock in dark brown and black bear foor fbts (vibram soles ones) - not shamans or lhamos that are 9.9/10 that i'm selling

possible trades for other US 10's in fbt's/mowatts or moc lo's (i need an 11 though which is why i'm selling - too narrow) or hockneys

thanks

so .....

Qubic in New Zealand should get Visvim next season I think, which should have cheap(er) prices as well.

http://www.qubicstore.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The Shigatse plaid long sleeve shirt has already been released. I got the blue version and it's rather nice. Very light weight. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it this spring. The overlap of blue and burgundy make it appear purple from a distance. Release still pending on the other two items. Speaking of releases, anyone have a tentative release date for the fabro folk and the heather pocket tee?

The Shigatse plaid long sleeve shirt has already been released. I own it in the blue and it's rather nice. Very light weight. The royal blue and burgundy overlap making it appear purple from a distance. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it this spring. The other items are still pending release, I believe. Speaking of releases, any info on the tentative release date for the fabro folk and the heather pocket tee?