Raf X Fred Perry Ss09

quackculture

RafSimonsFPA.jpgRafSimonsFPB.jpgRafSimonsFPC.jpgRafSimonsFPD.jpgRafSimonsFPE.jpg

This Hearts on Fire reports in with preview looks at the coming Spring/Summer 2009 Raf Simons for Fred Perry Collection. Leaving behind the “all black†color range found in the previous seasons wears, SS09 takes hints of inspiration from the “West African culture which can be seen in the natural fabrics and vibrant colour palette of copper brown, earth orange, regal blue and honey hues worked in multi coloured striping.â€

The collection of 25 pieces includes the expected Perry polos and knits but also includes a variety of new goods including a Harrington slim fit jacket and slip-on loafers.

Via Selectism (via THOF)

I'm a sucker for West African influence. It even feels better when Raf Simons has something to do with it.

If you guys have more pictures. Please Post. Im interested in seeing more of this.

• 4 weeks later...
i love this, but last seasons stuff was really expensive compared to regular fp.

That's the whole problem with collaborations. Cool, but usually not worth 4 times the price. I think they're really more of a marketing and image tool than sellable fashion.

you guys are all worried about price points, but I found almost all of last seasons shit during the sales at barneys and what not and i'm sure this season (especially) will not be any different. I found the rafxfp pants for $130 at barneys...

i disagree, and raf by raf is a brand with a focus on the youth culture that influences his regular line in a less abstracted way. every brand he has hooked up with follows the lineage of his influences, and instead of copying the doc marten boot or a fred perry polo, he can attach himself right to the brand and tap directly into its history and importance to his work. thats something he can't quite establish with just riffing on it with raf by raf.

some of his best work is when he gets right to the point and wears his influences on his sleeve (peter seville, new order collab), so why not see his work as holistic.

i say he should keep doing them and expand to even more, a lonsdale collab, design a vespa, design a record player, do a special edition fender telecaster, a vox AC30, and just raf everything he enjoys.

Don't like this collection, and I'm a major Raf fan. I think he should stop doing collaborations (Fred Perry, Eastpak, Doc Martens) and instead put more energy into making Raf by Raf Simons good because that's really gone downhill, certainly compared to the amazing things he does with his mainline and at Jil Sander (esp Jil Sander women's).

I'd also have to disagree. If anything, diffusion lines and collaborative lines should only help to strengthen a designers mainline collection by giving them an outlet to display their influences and different facets of their personality. These things keep designers from getting distracted and make it so that they don't have to urge to try to condense everything into their mainline in order to make a statement.

Not a lot of people liked Raf's last collection, but I wouldn't put the blame on the RAFbyRAF label or the collabs....it's not like he's out to satisfy your idea of what a Raf Simons line should look like...geeze.

Raf by Raf used to be more like that, but now it's mostly very average pieces which hardly seem 'designed', but have big price mark-ups because of the label. I think it's become a dull 'diffusion line,' when it should be a brand which has its own identity (albeit within the constraints of being a cheaper version of a mainline), like DRKSHDW does. At the moment, it's too dull-black-coat/jeans/sweater which happen to have the right name on the label. I see hardly any connection between Raf by Raf and the mainline, and it hardly seems like he uses it to support the mainline or play around with new ideas first.

The risk with collaborations is that they start to 'devalue' the brand if there are too many. I suppose he has to make money somehow, given how notoriously unprofitable ready-to-wear mainlines often are, and maybe we should be grateful that he has gone for collaborations instead of fragrances, eyewear etc, it's just the collaborations can't raise my interest (exception: SS08 Eastpak) and I find it hard to connect them with his amazing mainline stuff that I seriously covet

Maybe it's just because I'm a fashion snob, and brands like Eastpak and Fred Perry don't interest me much, but if it was, say, Raf Simons x Valextra then we'd be talking..

I know exactly what you mean...all I'm saying is that if you were to cut out Raf's diffusion line I don't think the mainline will benefit from it....some collections are just better than others and some just strike the wrong note with their fans. It's normal to feel nostalgic about Raf's glory days....but you'd be crazy to think that he's above hustling hard to promote himself outside of the "fashion snob" culture and earn the big $$$$'s in the process. Let's face the facts, Raf Simons is and has been a household name for years now...the kids love him....and he tapped into that market as soon as he could while his earning potential was at it's peak....and he's still a very bankable name in both worlds.

You're right - I suppose my point is, in terms of more affordable Raf (and I certainly don't pretend to be able to afford much mainline stuff),I would prefer a better secondary line of clothes (which has more of the qualities of the mainline) to more collaborations with other brands - but if selling Linda Farrow sunglasses or Eastpak bags is going to keep the mainline commercially viable, particularly in these tough times for 'luxury brands', I'm all for it.