make a case for the unlocking of waywt shit talking thread.

haptronic

I think "Shit Talking" was probably much closer to the Superfuture ideal than Worst WAYWT anyway. Leave the "Worsts" to be improved by other forums. Once people are decent but boring they're at the level where through education and finding a "personal" style they can start to move towards what used to be the "Superfuture" standard.

In fact, it's probably more important that we call out the sort of people who are posting up there fits now that show some promise but are essentially just "not worthy of note" otherwise.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

servo b a mod and don't even know why shit got locked in the first place?

everybody who got it, just got it. shit may have not seemed fair (to the ones who favored it's demise) cause of the numbers, but every so often the highprofile shit-talkers got shit talked too. it brought a sense of community to members in for the log haul. members who've 4 the most part actually contributed something of value to superfuture.

and i think that a couple of members really benefited from it. evan is a living testament 2 this. mainly cause he/they applied themselves. it also provided a forum medium for inevitable internet debates...or flamewars.

I remember that the seasoned members would go back and forth with each other no matter what. That was the point. Nobody ever got too upset because we knew that part of the shit talking thread was to criticize fits, the other parts was, literally, TALKING SHIT TO EACH OTHER. I tried to separate the two by creating the Bullshit Talking Thread but everybody shat on that. Perhaps rightfully so.

If anybody was timid about confrontation it was the newbies. That's understandable. I do remember seeing a lot of newbies taking sides in order to suck up because they didn't get the joke in the first place.

All of that had to do with the rep system. The rep system is silly as shit for starters. Do away with that and you'll solve a lot of childish problems.

We're turning into a Murakami novel

someone is accidentally going to find a secret forum that is only posted in by sheep soon and it will draw our intrepid hero, a distant and somewhat callous man who is slowly escaping his shell thanks to a series of believable female characters and sex

edit: as suggested, their will be casual references to jazz culture

Leave the "Worsts" to be improved by other forums. Once people are decent but boring they're at the level where through education and finding a "personal" style they can start to move towards what used to be the "Superfuture" standard...

Point right here!

We need people at the gates of waywt saying "you're not ready yet, go practice some more on [insert any other forum than sufu]"!

(yes elitist!)

its ok Billy let it out.... buddy

I pretty much agree with Evan on this issue though , I was a victim of the shit talking thread before also . I didnt go crying about it though it actually opened my eyes to some aspects concerning my fashion sense.

viva la shit talking thread

Shouldn't one of the rules be to show what you are doing in the fashion industry that would qualify you to talk about someone elses fit. Proportions, colors, synergy of fabric and material, etc..etc.. Simply stated, being a Sufu member for 2 or more years doesn't really make you an expert. Some of you talk about people having there own style. How is that possible if it is not correct unless they dress how you think they should? Wouldn't that be your style? Sometimes it just seems like more of a popularity contest, or even people on here posting hate because of there own short commings. However, I've only been on here for a month or so, there is no way I could possibly know anything. Seriously though, what are some of you experts doing in the industry, I'd like to know? I'd like to see your next line, maybe purchase something if I like it.

I don't know the answer to the shit. There are forums and cultures that thrive on it and there are communities that implode from it.

I couldn't tell you what the rep system does, either. It's 90% popularity contest generated by SuperCute and NSFW threads.

What needs asked is pretty simple. Will you allow a newbie waywt or not? Do you want a thread where fits are constructively, maturely critiqued? Or do you only want a no-chat, supermodel, superwealthy, perfection mainline waywt?

blah blah blah blah blah blah…However, I've only been on here for a month or so, there is no way I could possibly know anything.

This is exactly why you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I don't know the answer to the shit. There are forums and cultures that thrive on it and there are communities that implode from it.

I couldn't tell you what the rep system does, either. It's 90% popularity contest generated by SuperCute and NSFW threads.

What needs asked is pretty simple. Will you allow a newbie waywt or not? Do you want a thread where fits are constructively, maturely critiqued? Or do you only want a no-chat, supermodel, superwealthy, perfection mainline waywt?

This is mostly misguided and does not reflect the entire history or mentality of WAYWT'ing on Superfuture.

Guest jmatsu
its ok Billy let it out.... buddy

I pretty much agree with Evan on this issue though , I was a victim of the shit talking thread before also . I didnt go crying about it though it actually opened my eyes to some aspects concerning my fashion sense.

viva la shit talking thread

agree and applaud, but you weren't a "victim." like many you were merely a subject. a subject who was part of a natural process of forum selection. if you like, an organism who survived the sufu-darwinism of old. and i believe you are the better man for it.

this forum should and could be so much more than just about fashion and popular culture. it should be about cultivating individual character and intelligent consumerism. that is how a genuine community is made.

Shouldn't one of the rules be to show what you are doing in the fashion industry that would qualify you to talk about someone elses fit. Proportions, colors, synergy of fabric and material, etc..etc.. Simply stated, being a Sufu member for 2 or more years doesn't really make you an expert. Some of you talk about people having there own style. How is that possible if it is not correct unless they dress how you think they should? Wouldn't that be your style? Sometimes it just seems like more of a popularity contest, or even people on here posting hate because of there own short commings. However, I've only been on here for a month or so, there is no way I could possibly know anything. Seriously though, what are some of you experts doing in the industry, I'd like to know? I'd like to see your next line, maybe purchase something if I like it.

you dont have to be a director to know a bad film when you see one

Working in fashion doesn't automatically mean that you dress well, neither does having access to "designer" clothing, nor does having endless amounts of money to spend on clothing!

That was another reason why superfuture's waywt used to be interesting, it was very diverse, with people from coming in from lots of different angles, wearing different stuff...

Guest jmatsu

so what you're saying is that in order to offer a no holds bar opinion, one has to actually be active in the fashion industry?

also if there were to be no standard of dress or styles this forum would have no identity. there would be no community. just because someone likes something doesn't mean that THIS COMMUNITY (overall) will approve. it's whether a potential member wants to be a part of it. whether he/she share similar character, notions, and values.

it is not a popularity contest. the strong are strong and survive because of

contributions to the forum in various mediums.

You sir, are an IDIOT!

A newbie waywt thread?

What, like a Small Question Thread Waywt Edition?

People can go and circle jerk to eachothers mediocre shit there, and they might eventually get "promoted" to post in the "no-chat, supermodel, superwealthy, perfection mainline waywt"...

Cause in that case they might aswell go and use another forum to "practice" on before coming to our "no-chat, supermodel, superwealthy, perfection mainline waywt"

It's simple indeed, if you don't like sufu's waywt, then why bother posting and asking the very people who make that thread for advise?

Lurk, Learn, Post to contribute ≠ Post and teach me what you know!

No, I think that it will work itself out in a survival of the fittest, like matsu said. If you criticize, then be prepared. Remember, its the shit talking thread and people will shit talk back at you. If your point is valid, then maybe they'll take it. If they don't take it, they'll probably be gobbled up over time for their relentless insistance on shoving themselves down the throat of a community that rejects them. See: Disillusioned, Mutt, Zehero (ok, maybe only I shit on zehero)

This is mostly misguided and does not reflect the entire history or mentality of WAYWT'ing on Superfuture.

I dunno, syd. He might have a point there. There are a few brandwhores on here that will criticize over brand and price.

However, there was one big fat black dude on here a while back who's fit was SICK. It was one of his first posts and he ended up red. I was pretty upset about that.

you don't have to be an "fashion industry expert" to recognize poor taste in clothing as well as an outstanding lack of creativity. there are noobs that have posted amazing fits and have gotten props for it as well as established members getting called out for a shitty fit.

a lot of people here are pretty much open minded and will recognize a proper fit regardless of its style, so saying that "it is not correct unless they dress how you think they should" is kind of a cop out.

EDIT: ugh this thread moved fast so basically everyone already said what I just wrote

what is this?!?!

I dunno, syd. He might have a point there. There are a few brandwhores on here that will criticize over brand and price.

However, there was one big fat black dude on here a while back who's fit was SICK. It was one of his first posts and he ended up red. I was pretty upset about that.

It's out of context to the larger scope of sufu WAYWT. As a side discussion, people have made it a big deal to focus on branding and brand association, or if you will, brand synergy.

Sufu isn't immune to larger issues of consumerism, but point blank statements about this message board without the proper context just doesn't hold any merit here, especially to long standing members who have watched this particular community change over time.

I re-read the original post.

Wait a minute, the only person qualified to comment is HAPTRONIC.

IT'S A TRAP

haha

actaually

once you can show that you qualify with any of the above .

most of the people who replied qualify.

lab and asshole can you guys exchange ph numbers or something, i am sure there are untold ways that you can keep in touch with each other.

Franicis Xavier

you were one of the people in shit talking that was most likely to attack in the old thread under a different alias, i swear you insisted, 'it is only a forum' wah wah 'i don't care ban me' wah wah.

why do you keep coming back?

on with the discussion

i don't think that there is any problem with critique at all.

there is a problem with personal attacks, cliquish behavior [which one might describe as sheepish].

i am serious about wanting to be convinced, say you don't qualify by having proved you can either dress or critique, then go ahead anyway and tell me what it is you bring to that thread.

the thread was locked due to it being a place that was used for personal attack, and vendetta. neither of these things help bring the quality of fits up, whereas a good critique can [as ed stands as proof] jmatsu had a fantastic post the he deleted.

i personally would love good critiques about fits, and believe that it helps all of us to read such.

The personal attacks and vendetta are here just as the always were except now they're dispersed throughout the forum. The advantages that the WAYWT Shit Talking Thread brought vastly outweigh it's stereotype as being too "hate filled" when in reality without the hate has just migrated to every part of the forum and is dragging every part of it down rather than, in a sense, being focused and some of it being diverted to critical (if necessarily harsh) critique.

Just because something is "mean" and sometimes too harsh doesn't make it any less a critique. More often than not, it doesn't even need to be constructive just to let someone know that they are not yet at the standard and that they need to continue lurking - not every mediocre post deserves a critical intervention. Some of them just need a good old "this fucking sucks" to get people to stop resting on their non-existent laurels.

Franicis Xavier

you were one of the people in shit talking that was most likely to attack in the old thread under a different alias, i swear you insisted, 'it is only a forum' wah wah 'i don't care ban me' wah wah.

why do you keep coming back?

Huh? I came back because you banned me. You also banned my two roomates/coworker who you insisted were me even though I think they pm'd you. They participated in the shit talking thread as well, is that what you mean by different "aliases?" I come back because I really enjoy SuFu.

Man, you have GOT to chill out.