Sprogs, nippers, bambinos: pint-sized denim

Paul T

x-post from "vintage denim?" thread.

Found these interesting youth or possibly a very skinny womans jeans yesterday.

6290091200_17edb252a9_z.jpg

6290093758_6e78baebba_z.jpg

this illegible tag on the back left pocket is the only branding on the jean.

6290093364_cdd8f215a8_z.jpg

chain stitched sail cotton pocket bags (similar in feel to vintage Lee and Wranglers I've owned)

6290093042_55d85f7ab1_z.jpg The owner must have cut out or worn out the Union label inside the back left pocket.

6290092688_d55368fe45_z.jpg The top of the belt loops are sewn into the waistband, the bottom are bar tacked.

6290092400_4ec82248ae_z.jpg Cool feature I'd not seen before. The waist band comes around on both sides and sews back into itself.

6289573781_64fe96e5cf_z.jpg blank top button (don't know if that is indicative of any brands) and a Talon 42 zipper,(no vis)

6290091588_8d6dc370c0_z.jpg blue and yellow stitching on the felled inseam.

At first glance I thought Lee given the gold/black tab... but they're bartacked as opposed to riveted, they don't have the lazy 's' and no waist tag. My next guess was they are from a department store be it local or national.

I asked some folks and they thought the denim looked like Lee, maybe manufactured for a 3rd party? I was curious if anyone had further insights. Greatly appreciated it.

(these need a good home btw, PM if interested)

I picked up these fake selvage jeans from H&M last night.

Been searching a while for some jeans for my son, and haven't come up with anything.

anyone have any suggestions for finding jeans for a 1-2 year old?

Try gap, my son has a couple pairs from their 1969 collection

Any recent leads on selvage for larger kids? My 8 year-old daughter finally wants "some jeans like Dad's", but I'm having a hard time. H&M and Levi's seem to just have jeggings or boot cuts, so I may just have to take her to get some 501 STFs at the local western shop.

Initial search brought up this link

I'm only just starting to look into selvage for my daughter, Arabella 8 months. It seems as though they're very difficult to find.

Aside, I'm in the process of having some big people selvage jeans manufactured (see signature). I really like the idea of having Arabella, and future kids, wearing the same jeans as dad, and have considered approaching my manufacturer to make a couple pairs as a favour. If there is enough interest, I can try to work something out for the community. As a fair warning: they're already doing me a huge favour with my minimums, so nothing is guaranteed.

Just a thought.... Let me know if this is of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pair of Osk Kosh kids hickory dungarees up for grabs.

Barely worn.

Age 5 years/110cm.

Don't want any money for them, just postage/packaging covered and a cute photo posted here on receipt (does that sound a bit wrong? :/ )

Drop us a line if interested

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't see them anywhere on the website, but there is a No2 style kids denim jacket at gap at the moment. Could only see it in the toddler (up to 5YO) section of the Covent Garden, London branch.

Sadl;y with my kids being 6 & 11 i've just missed to boat on that!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... the pair shown in the first post on this spread are up for grabs. Free to any pukka sufu'er (or denimbro). You pay postage from London.

Size = 140cm, which I would say fits a typical 9-year old. Email paul at trynka.com

HMonway.jpg

HMlap.jpg

Edited by Paul T

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had good look at the UES Tokyo store during my trip to japan. Absolutely fantastic kids' jackets: they do two, a Type 2-influenced design, and my fave, the Army-influenced design, in 2x1 denim IIRC.

I met Tomohito Inomata at the Daikanyama store, and was very impressed. Definitely one of Toky's best smaller shops.

UESexterior.jpg

UES-1.jpg

UESType2.jpg

UESarmykids.jpg

There's more info in my TOkyo Denim Guide

• 4 months later...

I had almost forgotten this thread - - read back through the entire thing. GREAT thread.

My wife is 38 weeks pregnant, our son could arrive any day now. I didn't realize so many brands have made /still make selvage/dry denim for kids.

I was wondering if anyone has bought their child denim in the last 6 months.

Been toying around with the idea of starting a new long-term tour with some other guys maybe? If that didn't work out I'd really like to track down some good jeans for my son I'm just not entirely sure where to start. Most of what was linked into this thread yields 404 error pages now.

Any suggestions guys?

Unfortunately most of the Japanese denim brands that used to do kids jeans no longer do so. Samurai kids are long gone. Warehouse don't make the same half selvedge ones my boy had. Flat head etc don't have kids stuff that I can find. It's a serious concern that when my boy grows put of his current samurais he'll be out of selvedge...

The best kids denim we have found otherwise has been petit bateau. Nice fit and simple unadulterated unwashed denim.

congrats Robbie!

lol your son hasn't even been born yet and you already worry bout his jeans

Gotta start him off right before the aunts and grandparents get in there... I wish I were craft enough to make a chambray onesie or something!

I've been eying the Baldwin, the pricepoint is the only concern at this point given he won't be 2T or 4T for very long.