Thoughts on Vintage

superhero

Is vintage a fad? I see in lotsa mainstream media recommending a vintage "style".

But on sufu vintage isn't just about the style. It's also about the craftsmanship that may no longer be present in modern day production methods, which shuttle looms as an example. So is vintage going to be as sought after as years go on?

Did people from the 60s-80s also search for vintage items from the 20s and likewise did those from the 20s seek vintage items before their time?

I wouldn't call the interest in vintage clothing a fad as it seems to have been going strong for decades now. What has, however, seemed to become more popular in recent years is the interest in production methods as you hinted at.

I liken this to the trend (at least in the US) of people becoming more involved in the acquisition of their food by learning basic farming techniques. As people have become so estranged from the food growing process, not knowing how the chicken arrived on their table for example, there has been a renaissance among many to learn what has been lost from our collective memory.

Similarly, most our mothers and relatives don't make the clothes and accessories we wear. They arrive at the "supermarket" for us to consume with little to no knowledge of how it was made. I believe it was only natural that at a time when modern society has segregated clothing manufacturing to such an extreme there would be groups of individuals interested in learning this nearly lost knowledge.

I dont know about people from the 20's seeking earlier vintage clothing for clothing sakes (i.e. there would have to be some socio-historical connection with the piece- say Abraham Lincoln's gloves), but surely there were heads from the 60's who were collecting Levi's and PF Flyers. Now everybody owns a vintage store and everybody's a collector.

What will show up in vintage stores when we are 50 or 60 years old? My bet is a shit load of all over print hoodies.