usa :: boston :: general

Argyle

I like how crosswalks in Boston don't exist. Everyone just walks whenever the fuck they want. Most of the time they just stay on "Don't Walk" and no one cares. Figured out I didn't really need to pay attention to them after the first day.

lmAO so true.

i literally just do what i want in this city.

never pay for the train just walk in, walk on crosswalks fuck it.

• 2 months later...

If you're into street wear and sneakers (and I think they have some acronym and other weatherproof gear), Bodega is on Clearway St a couple blocks from the main Berklee building off Mass ave. Literally looks like a bodega, but behind the snapple machine is the store. It's novelty.

You can't drink yet if you're starting undergrad. Boston is strict with IDs most places except fine dining restaurants and Chinatown. And I assume you're poor as well if you're like most students. But if you're able to make it work, Bukowski's across the Backbay fire station and the Other Side at the end of Newbury st. have good beer selection (both are steps away from Berklee). In Allston, Deep Ellum has really tasty food and great beer selection as well (slightly more expensive for Allston standards but reasonable). Model and Silhouette gets saturated with hipsters on most nights. Allston has a variety of ethnic foods as well: Le's for pho, Color for cheap Korean food, camino real for Colombian, and Pikaichi (new) for ramen. Great Scott is a tiny venue but books some amazing shows -- I've seen obscure bands and up-and-coming "buzz" bands in this intimate space.

Denton is right -- Berklee is in a great location in Backbay, and Allston is a clusterfuck of culture w/ hipsters, frat boys, gutter punks, hypebeast-types, Brazilians, and plenty of cwgs from all over the country and world (thanks to BU). There's a myriad of collective houses/shows in Allston -- some great, some not so great.

I didn't know any cool shit when I was starting undergrad, so I encourage you to explore yourself. Psychogeography style with friends and a six-pack...

Boston is disgusting with all of the students moving in right now. Too many broken beer bottles and random pieces of trash strewn about in my neighborhood...

true story, almost got run over the other day in harvard square by some goofy looking dungeons n dragons motherfuckers in a toyota sienna or something cause all their worldly possessions were blocking the sidewalks

fuckers

true story, almost got run over the other day in harvard square by some goofy looking dungeons n dragons motherfuckers in a toyota sienna or something cause all their worldly possessions were blocking the sidewalks

fuckers

Its such a disaster everywhere near schools. The only upside is that you can actually garbage pick some awesome stuff that kids gave up trying to move.

can someone please tell me if good mexican food exists in boston? i need my al pastor, onions and cilantro! if you are from the la area, you'll know what i mean by king taco/el taurino/el chato. someone suggested anna's taqueria so i might have to give that a try if all else fails.

you gotta order multiples

felipes has cilantro. haven't been to boca grande in a while. sorry you no gustó

edit just saw you're from california, you prolly won't find anything as good as what you're used to

no worries denton! i appreciate the suggestions. i'll see how felipe's is. also, have you tried monte cristo's mexican grill? someone suggested that to me as well.

I'm from so cal and I must say the mexican food here leaves plenty to be desired. If you're after something decent and authentic, I recommend mama blanca. It's definitely off the beaten track near the airport (and it's Salvadorian) but very good. Just note that french fries will inexplicably accompany your burrito. East Boston has a whole latino neighborhood that I didn't know about for a very long time with a bunch of other restaurants, bakeries and markets.

A bit more anglo friendly and also very good is El Dorado in brookline. They use fresh ingredients and specialize in fish tacos and cemitas. You can also get the sweet corn thing (elote) while in season which is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Where am I shoppin at? Lived here a few years back, but now I got more money and taste to spend on some clothes.

Should I bother with Riccardi for denim? Is there any quality joints worth hittin up? Superfuture ninja-goth steez or heritage whatever

Depends on what you're looking for in denim, Riccardi still carries Edwin, Evisu, Nudie (lol), PrPs (lol), Dior Homme... honestly your best bet for a variety of brands is Barneys. Stels has APC and Baldwin, sometimes sporadic sizes in stock though.

Alan Bilzerian, Riccardi, Stels, Barneys are pretty much it... check out Rescue on Newbury street too it's second hand but they usually have some Margiela, usually some Dior Homme, Band of Outsiders, etc. There's a "men's designer" rack in the front of the store, more men's in the back after the counter but it's just shitty band tees and levi's, stick to the front.

Bobby's Boston in the South End is always fun to check out too.