usa :: boston :: general

Argyle

sorry - i could've saved you the trip. boston has always kind of sucked for shopping. granted i always do like stores like louis boston, but you're not going to find anything you can't find in nyc (by and large).

the one exception used to be record stores, although i think those got strip-mined in the age of ebay. first person to mention newbury comics that's not 40 or older gets an e-punch in the face.

• 3 months later...

Will be in Boston this weekend. Don't really have time for shopping, but was wondering if there are any recommended sites, restaurants, nightspots?

Itinerary so far:

staying in Theater District

Celtics vs Magic game 3

Freedom Trail

Union Oyster House

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Boston is boring. There is nothing happening this weekend.

If you're new to town it might be worth seeing Harvard Square, Back Bay, the North End and the usual tourist traps. It's nice to visit for a weekend, but you can do pretty much everything there is to do within that time.

Anything i should see in Boston that hasn't been covered?

I'll be there for a week in June.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this. I've been spending some time in Boston and can comment on shopping/random stuff around town.

Take everything with a grain of salt because I'm commenting on this shit relative to the town its in, not relative to how much better it could be in NYC or another top-tier city. That's obvious.

Shops:

- Stel's: Really nice staff. They carry W+H, NDG, Quoddy, APC, Rachel Comey...some others...maybe like a Blackbird without the gothninja stuff

- Riccardi: carries a weird combo of brands. They have pretty much the whole CDG play line, and some moncler. Didn't spend much time in there.

- The Tannery has converted their basement to be some sort of "Wilderness Outpost" to accomodate the mountaineering/workwear trend. They are a shoe store more than anything, so they have every RW imaginable, Wolverines, Merrell mountaineering boots, NDC shoes. They also have canada goose, naked + famous. Upstairs they have some weird streetwear thing going on. Gstar, diesel, mixed with rag+bone. Apparently they also have a shop in harvard sq called "concepts" that involves a vodka bar.

- the Barneys in copley/pru (i don't remember which is which) Is so unbelievably jam-packed with clothes that it's not a fun shopping experience. That said, it's a big barney's and, if I had to guess, has more to offer than the other Barneys i've been to recently (SF, Dallas). CCP, Shipley+halmos, Boo, apc, rick owens, etc.

Coffee (not an expert):

Went to a handful of coffee shops around town. I can compare lattes against Blue bottle and Ritual in SF (good benchmark) and say that nothing was close to that, but Wired Puppy in back bay, Crema in Harvard Sq, and Pavement near Berklee were the best three. Wired puppy had great choices for single brews as well. Crema had the best latte art if you're into that. Pavement had tons of choices including a latte with condensed milk which was interesting, and they have really good bagels.

Bars:

Went to 3 very different bars worth mentioning. I wasn't with people who know boston well, so these are probably pretty obvious choices to Boston natives.

- Pour House: touristy sports bar in back bay. Cheap food. Mixed crowd. Busy. Has all the local boston brews. Sadly, it was the best burger I had in boston, so I may return for that if I get desperate.

- Russell House Tavern: yuppie bar/restaurant in Harvard Sq. Lots of people putting on a show. Kinda entertaining. Must dress like a proper newenglander to feel comfortable in there. Pretty great beer/wine/cocktail selection.

- Drink: mixology bar trying to model itself as a speakeasy with no sign outside (as I was told). It's one of those places where the bartenders make a drink for you based on what you like, not based on the menu. Very diverse crowd. I'll go back here but I'm expecting the novelty to wear off after a couple more tries.

Food:

Generally disappointed with food in Boston. Maybe the recommendations I had weren't great. But I had trouble finding viet food, burgers, greek, and mexican/texmex. Chinese wasn't too hard to find. Gourmet Dumpling House had a huge line every time I walked past it, so I tried that and it was great.

Also, in Allston, I ate at Jojo Taipei which was worth going to if you like Taiwanese or Sichuan food. Saw a couple korean bbq places but I didn't get to try anything...someone mentioned to me that Boston has a large korean population, so maybe I was missing out on that. I did, however, have some awesome Italian food in Allston but I can't remember the name of the place.

Honestly, boston has all the making of a big city but the execution of a small city. Everything closes at 2ish, so lame. Living between ny/ri/mass, i find that mass(boston) is usually lowest on my tier list when planning things. The job market is decent in boston given you have a proper resume. The bros are generally lame but the women are fantastic. I've been to many cities across the country and boston's women rate very high in comparison to women from other cities

pm if you need to ask anything else

Has anyone been to the Rugby outlet (?) store in Natick, MA?

Is it even worth checking out? Does it suck?

There's a couple of things I want but buying them at regular price is kinda :(

Thanks

Food:

Generally disappointed with food in Boston. Maybe the recommendations I had weren't great. But I had trouble finding viet food, burgers, greek, and mexican/texmex. Chinese wasn't too hard to find. Gourmet Dumpling House had a huge line every time I walked past it, so I tried that and it was great.

u had trouble finding viet food? really? literally half of chinatown is viet food, and the better ones are in dorchester.

forgot the name of the burger place but its in harvard square, the burgers are named after celebs/famous ppl, it was pretty good, lots of strange toppings for the burgers. worth checking out.

windsor is the best for dimsum, its across from china pearl in chinatown. pretty small place so u will wait for a table.

shabu zen and kaze in chinatown is popular for hotpot.

and hit up oishii in chestnut hill if u want good sushi, place only seats like 20 or less, really small place.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
u had trouble finding viet food? really? literally half of chinatown is viet food, and the better ones are in dorchester.

forgot the name of the burger place but its in harvard square, the burgers are named after celebs/famous ppl, it was pretty good, lots of strange toppings for the burgers. worth checking out.

windsor is the best for dimsum, its across from china pearl in chinatown. pretty small place so u will wait for a table.

shabu zen and kaze in chinatown is popular for hotpot.

and hit up oishii in chestnut hill if u want good sushi, place only seats like 20 or less, really small place.

bartley's. flat patties is pretty good too.

i second:

parish cafe (sandwiches) [now two locations]

and

flour bakery (homemade pop tarts and oreos, coookies, etc)

go to oishii boston if you're ballin

oishii in chestnut hill is great for sushi...but i havent been in years so i dont know if its the same or not.

oishii is okay. I wouldnt recommend.

o ya is top notch, a critically raved restaurant. mini size plates that amount to no more than 2-3 bites. you'll also have to drop at least $200 for a decent meal with drinks

Gotta say that Myung Dong 1st Ave Soju Bar in Allston is the most entertaining place I've found in the Boston area so far.

I agree, it's entertaining. the kpop music videos blasting in background, shitty little chairs, tacky graffiti, and an eclectic mix of ppl (sometimes).

i enjoy the other side, bukowski's, deep ellum, and river gods. always great beer selection. u should venture out more dude if u thought md1 was the most entertaining.

• 3 months later...