The Smiths V. The Cure

16steps

which is it?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. which is it?

I have been on a huge smiths/cure bender for a while and i dont forsee it stopping anytime soon. I love these bands equally in different respects but find myself enamored with morrissey's crooning. That's not to say Robert Smith's voice doesn't rule, because it clearly does.

so which one does it for you?

i like the cure, but some of their stuff sounds a bit too dated 20 years later (as much as i love the head on the door, some of it's pretty cheesy). they also have some really terrible albums.

and i like all the smiths records, and most of morrissey's solo stuff so they get my vote.

Guest jmatsu
Is this a who sucks more poll? Who's more overrated?

or

Who's guitar player made the band yet the absurd vocalist got the credit poll?

at least they get dj gigs and are considered prominent selectors in certain circles.

Who's guitar player made the band yet the absurd vocalist got the credit poll?

This statement is true to an extent. Johnny Marr is a fuckin badass guitarist. One can argue that morrissey's success never equaled to anything put out by the smiths and i'd agree.

the combination of morrissey's crazy ass lyrics/vocals + that bright ass rickenbacker of johnny's created sonical felltio. The smiths were wild

Yeah, I'd agree that the smiths were better. I might even say that they're good. Possibly even timeless.

You know what else is timeless? Red Wine. People have loved it for a very long time and spew its merits in everyone's faces whenever they get the chance.

The thing is, I don't like wine. I drink beer. And the smiths suck.

... But few things are as lame as the cure. To them I say, "shut up."

Its just too phony.

Guest jmatsu

for this particular poll there can never realistically be a "righ"t choice that a majority part of the forum who are actually worth a shit will collectively agree upon for non base reasons.

i personally prefer the easy cure to the cure and the smiths...if i had to really choose.

a more important question is which will get you laid in 09'. saying to some alterna-teen chickenhead, drunk at the houseparty, that you like the smiths or the cure???

I'm with kunk on this one.

But to answer jmatsu's question about which would get you laid. I'm gonna say the Cure would get you laid by some alternateen chicken head. If she's looking all romantic and ish, throw on disintegration and watch the panties just soak up. She kinda bouncy happy drunk, throw on the boys don't cry album.

to make this fair one should only consider the early cure given that the smiths only had 5 albums [not including live or compilations]

i love the smiths johnny marr and morrisey together made incredible music, morriesey on his own is a waste of air.

the cure if only for three imaginary boys, the raw guitar sound the broken cymbals the straightforward songs. but everything up to and including disentegration.

for this particular poll there can never realistically be a "righ"t choice that a majority part of the forum who are actually worth a shit will collectively agree upon for non base reasons.

i personally prefer the easy cure to the cure and the smiths...if i had to really choose.

a more important question is which will get you laid in 09'. saying to some alterna-teen chickenhead, drunk at the houseparty, that you like the smiths or the cure???

from my research:

CWG's like the cure more

hipsters like the smiths

i love the smiths johnny marr and morrisey together made incredible music, morriesey on his own is a waste of air..

what?

morrissey + johnny marr > morrissey solo.

but to suggest he is a waste of air? the solo morrissey songs lack the same musicality as the smiths, but the lyrical content and signature vocals are still there and that's what is so distinctive and singular and attractive about morrissey in the first place and why people love him so much.

dude at the shows people treat him like he's godlike. and he moves people. and he's witty and sophisticated and his new albums are still very good. its just crazy to call him a waste of air.

i mean come on, listen to suedehead, the more you ignore me, everyday is like sunday, sister i'm a poet, and even new shit like first of the gang to die, you have killed me, i will see you in far off places.

shhhhiiiitttt. morrissey is greatness.

fuckin waste of air. gimme a break

okay he can have some air then

but can we give him air from bangkok or industrial southern china.

i would like to save all the fresh air for people who were putting out work that sounded new in 1988

My Bloody Valentine, Isn’t Anything

Dinosaur Jr., Bug

Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation

Public Enemy, It Takes A Nation Of Millions

Pixies, Surfer Rosa

Guest jmatsu
I'm with kunk on this one.

But to answer jmatsu's question about which would get you laid. I'm gonna say the Cure would get you laid by some alternateen chicken head. If she's looking all romantic and ish, throw on disintegration and watch the panties just soak up. She kinda bouncy happy drunk, throw on the boys don't cry album.

if u and julz was drinking together at the after after party, what track would you throw on?

LOL

okay he can have some air then

but can we give him air from bangkok or industrial southern china.

i would like to save all the fresh air for people who were putting out work that sounded new in 1988

My Bloody Valentine, Isn’t Anything

Dinosaur Jr., Bug

Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation

Public Enemy, It Takes A Nation Of Millions

Pixies, Surfer Rosa

well i'll agree his sound hasn't really evolved much. but then again if it ain't broke...

and i'll forgive u for insulting the moz because all those albums u listed are classics

• 2 weeks later...
well i'll agree his sound hasn't really evolved much. but then again if it ain't broke...

and i'll forgive u for insulting the moz because all those albums u listed are classics

his new cd, years of refusal, is pretty damn good