Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

kiya

• 4 months later...

Since finishing up the Ooe contest, I've been trying to keep focused on just one or two pairs of jeans at a time to get more pairs to that heavily-worn state. And the pair that I've found myself wearing the most has been the Flat Head X RJB collaboration with the new RJB left-hand denim. Really lovely stuff - the pretty dense weave is warm enough for the fall and winter here in NYC, but I'm hoping they'll be worn in enough by spring to stay comfortable in warmer weather. The fabric also had a surprisingly rough exterior handfeel early on, though it's getting a bit smoother after a few months of wear and a couple washes. The interior felt quite smooth from the beginning, so it was never a comfort issue.

The fabric actually strikes me as almost being a souped-up version of the #17 denim used in the Ooe contest, though that may just be my own focus on them both being left-hand twill. They both had similar "crispy" feel in the first month or two, and very noticeable, streaky vertical falling characterizes the early fading of both fabrics. The RJB denim does fade a bit faster though. Even after just 2-3 months of wear, it's already turning a brighter blue around the knees and wallet area. Also looks like I'm getting some early combs setting in, which would be super nice.

Couple photos of the current progress in our super-low-angle afternoon light:

QDkknHd.jpg

trDYzTX.jpg

moA0090.jpg

3 hours ago, Smallrod said:

Looking good. What model are they?

They're the D109FXR model that Self Edge carries. I'd actually have slightly preferred it if I could find a fully kitted-out pair of RJBs in this fit with the black deerskin patch, diamond arcs, and all, but RJB just doesn't seem to get carried in most American stores. The details on this collaboration pair still feel really nice though, and the arcs and thread colors are appropriately flashy for the denim.

6 hours ago, FeloniousMonk said:

They're the D109FXR model that Self Edge carries. I'd actually have slightly preferred it if I could find a fully kitted-out pair of RJBs in this fit with the black deerskin patch, diamond arcs, and all, but RJB just doesn't seem to get carried in most American stores. The details on this collaboration pair still feel really nice though, and the arcs and thread colors are appropriately flashy for the denim.

I have a pair in size 33 that are too big for me that I would be willing to sell.  PM Me if interested. 

5 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

I'm surprised we don't see more RJB on sufu. The fades look great.

I think the main issue is that they are not readily available and what is available in Japan, it is very difficult to get accurate measurements for the different models. 

I took a chance and it didn't quite work out. Awesome denim though. 

13 hours ago, Smallrod said:

what is available in Japan, it is very difficult to get accurate measurements for the different models. 

Yep, that's exactly what prevent me from getting a pair until this fit showed up at Self Edge. I'd tried looking into the other models on RJB's website, but could never figure out which fits might actually work from the (scant) provided measurements.

Wish I could take you up on the 33s, but I'm a 31 in the RJB 109 fit (which is TTS for me). Definitely hope someone else on the forums can take those off your hands though, it would be a great pair.

6 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

Anyone on Sufu rocking the river and hide collab? Haven’t seen any fades on those yet and I think they’ve been out a while now.

This is my pair and a few more in our Fade Archive https://rivetandhide.com/fade-archive/rfr-002-real-japan-blues-x-tfh-x-rivet-hide-jeans

ONMMAYf.jpg

8Wu9wxN.jpg

NyrvYZ6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Flat head and RJB are two different brands right? They collaborated and then roped in rivet and his as well? Are these kind of collabs pretty common as I see self edge and Blue owl having their versions as well. I also noticed Okayama is launching PBJ 20th anniversary jeans.

are these collabs usually good or just a marketing gimmick?

RJB is a subsidiary brand of The Flat Head. In fact The Flat Head has some more subsidiary brands besides RJB.
Collabs done right are a good way to get a unique and special product and sometimes you find things that the brand themselves wouldn't usually do.

Of course they are also a marketing gimmick, and often a way of the Overseas stores to compete with the Japanese market.

Some colabs are definitely on the gimmicky side. 
Other colabs (usually with western retailers) are not so much, as the changes they make are more to make it more practical for their customer base. For example larger/deeper pockets, or a higher rise...things like that.

• 2 months later...

Scored a barely worn pair of 103BSPs on Grailed for $140 shipped. I've always preferred RJB's 14oz Zimbabwe denim to the newer LHT stuff but never had the money to get a pair of these when SE still had them. Love how dark and hairy this denim is, and the fit is spot on too. It looks like the prior owner washed these once then barely wore them (literally no fading when I received them). Not sure if they have been hemmed (or if size 29 just runs a bit shorter in the inseam) but the length is perfect too.

IMG_20180503_224632.jpg

IMG_20180503_224638.jpg

IMG_20180503_224742.jpg

Edited by STINGER93

On 9/24/2014 at 10:50 AM, itsbenhere said:

Wow, you've got quite the collection... now get some wear into them so we can see what they really look like!

Also, Adam rocking a sick RJB shirt!

kOFoRmN.jpg

I don't know why I'm pointing this out almost 4 years later but I'm pretty sure that's a Gitman Brothers Vintage shirt, not rjb. All of the rjb rayon shirts have 5 buttons and that one has 6.

Gitman:

Screenshot_20180310-173516.png

RJB;

Screenshot_20180507-012822.thumb.png.d02c665ed274d0e475d17ce8e61fb05d.png

Edited by Claytonimus

Gitman knocked off RJB's fabric/pattern. RJB's is a high density rayon, Gitman's is not.  

On that note, Adam has been shopping at SELA and SEMX for many years buying mostly Flat Head and RJB shirts.

EDIT: Just remembered also that when FH or RJB do a really special rayon fabric they'll print in "Flat Head" repellently into the selvedge ID on the inside of the shirt, they do this to show customers that this wasn't just stock fabric they've used.

Edited by kiya