Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

kiya

• 3 weeks later...

Guys with experience of older RHT zimbabwe denim...

I just got some 105bsp from self edge! I've been looking into these jeans forever. They were kinda tight raw but i said fuck it and hot washed them. They seem to not have shrunk really that much.... ? I swear I washed them for an hour on hot, but they really didn't shrink much at all?

They're still tight but I'll make them work if this is as small as they'll get. Will get pics up in the next few days, these jeans are absolutely gorgeous.

Did you guys really not get much shrinkage either?

Well they have a new new denim that not many have. It's LHT Zimbabwe and came out 2 years ago maybe.

I have the super nice inky Zimbabwe RHT that originally came out with the sexfhxrjb15s. It's the denim someone with rjb is most likely to have.

Thanks for the help kyle! I think it's the new stuff since it feels really damn nice, although not abrasive like you said they were (at least in comparison to the old denim.) Maybe that says more about the old denim! It's been a while, but I swear that the pioneer denim was wayyyyy more abrasive, rough, dry than this. I'm really excited to enjoy these jeans.

I'll post some nice pics in the next couple days, in the mean time here's a teaser :)

rpcgi8w.jpg

Yep, I figured. As much as I liked kiyas old pair I think the new denim is a lot nicer, it definitely seems more loomstate.

Crazy though, so I hot washed them AGAIN, and the easiest way to tell is looking at the inseam, only went from 38.3" (note the insane length!!!!) to 36.5". Really surprising, i don't think i have to worry about shrinkage anymore though. Especially if i just wash cold.

That sounds about right. I would saythe most significant shrinkage I noticed was in in the thigh/knee/hem. I got a bit too hefty and they got quite tight fitting. A shame, as I loved those damned jeans. Even at the beginning though I felt that the hem to thigh ratio was a bit wonky for my tastes. Same with the 3005; both seemed quite similar in that regard and top block as well.

Looks like the same denim as on my pair Ben. It's the post-collab 14 oz Zimbabwe denim. Don't think it's changed since then. The older denim like on Kiya's 106BSPs was a more uniform weave and singed, it had a smoother feel to it.

The left-hand Zimbabwe denim that debuted on the FXR about two years ago is a separate fabric and I don't think it's replaced the denim used on our RJB pairs, it's only used on certain models.

The shrinkage sounds similar to my D105s, I don't recall those shrinking a whole lot either.

Yeah that's the second zimbabwe fabric which is very different next to the first one. It's got a rougher touch but fairly soft and not as crunchy. It's been a while but I think that shrinkage is similar to I got on my collab pair.

You know what's actually crazy is that after those washes and an air dry, these jeans feel way crunchier, stiffer than before! It's been a long time since I had denim like this and it's awesome. Also awesome is that this denim is always "the one that got away", even since before 2013 when I got my 3009 and "settled" for the pioneer denim (lol).

I'm going light on the details because I'm lazy and kyle already did a great job, but brief thoughts on the jeans:

I really love them. I thought I'd have to like these despite the fit but I think they fit pretty cool actually, although most would probably hate them because of how wide the hem is, I dig it. Great things like super inky, stiff and surprisingly bumpy denim, rolled belt loops, etc. The back pockets are lined which is nice, but I actually prefer unlined pockets. Also, the patch is a somewhat underwhelming cowhide (?), I'd definitely prefer the black deerskin on the japan versions. I'd also prefer the diamonds but I like these arcs too. Zinc buttons are a change of pace but again, i think I prefer iron like on flat head. Rivets are nice with "R.J.B." on them as you'd expect, no standard hardware on these guys.

Here's some measurements, been a while since I did this :)

Raw Size 32 RJB 105BSP:

Waist: 34.5"

F Rise: 11.5"

B Rise: 14.75"

Thigh: 12"

Inseam: 38.3"

After 2 hot washes:

Waist: 32.5"

F Rise: 11"

B rise: 14"

Thigh: 11.75"

Inseam: 36.5"

And the fit after half a day stretch: 

wKT4xOP.jpg

DOSV3sR.jpg

5BMT83l.jpg

And one of the reasons why I like short tops and mid/lower rise jeans... a little tilt and BOOM! Flash of the sickest belt out there. I hope you guys don't crucify me for this belt...

Cfb6J64.jpg

Yes!!!! 

Holy shit are these long! 36.5"... probably 37" after some wear. 

I just got them yesterday. Funny actually, I was leaving my apartment to head back to my parents, and I ran into the mailman. He hadn't even delivered my buildings mail but i convinced him to check the truck for me, didn't even know if self edge had shipped actually. It was meant to be!

I think I'm going to go with a 2" double cuff right above the point where there's a break. Still paranoid about how little they shrank, but I guess all denims are just different!

And thanks ryan! Yeah it's ridiculously flashy, but I really do think its the coolest belt I've ever seen.

Those look great Ben, the fit appears (to me) to be very similar to your 3005s. This kind of fit works really well for your body type.

Very nice Kjeupa... I can easy see that it's the old RJB denim, but still awesome! I think you'll get even better fades from the new one :)

Thanks kyle! The 3005 are significantly looser in the thigh but the hem is about the same. Rise situation seems similar too. The thighs are much slimmer but the lack of taper makes it work, they're slim but actually really comfortable. This denim is way easier to work with than the pioneer!

I love these things  :)

Kjeupa, those jeans look absolutely amazing!

I have the 105. Bought them in 2011 from self edge and they shrank a good bit in the first wash and continued to shrink after multiple washes. Best denim and cut I've ever had. Retired now due to side seam busting after around 4 years. Great pick up. I eyed those pretty hard in the warehouse sale.

Nice pickup Ben! I was considering them the second they popped up on the warehouse sale but I'd like to see how my 3009s look after some time before another denim purchase.

I'm surprised how relatively "high" is the rise on them! I thought that, at least according to the measurements, it would be ~10".

Just checking in and happy to see the RJB thread hopping.

Great look Ben! Yeah, the newer RJB denim is UHMAZING. It's pretty much identical to the collab pairs that SE did years back. The fits have been tough on most people because of the lower rise, and the shrinkage is nuts, but if it works, it really works great. I love the 105. It will most assuredly age amazingly. 

Thanks guys!

Rev, you messed up. Incredible deal, absolutely incredible jeans. They're so damn comfortable, maybe even more so than my 3005 even though those are looser because of the denim on these. Dare I say it... these might even fit me better now that they've stretched out! Rise is perfect for me, now it's like a 11.5" and 15".

Brennan, maybe i'll see you this weekend! I need to get these hemmed. Will wash them again before I come (will be the 3rd wash) because contrary to what others (and you just now) have said, I swear these didn't shrink that much! And they stretched out great. I think I'm good though, and really really excited to wear these in with proper inseam length. I think I'm going to go double cuff no break.