Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

kiya

Great looking evo Osmosis.  Looks like you've gotten a really nice color/contrast balance on that pair.

Maikeru, he probably just wore the jeans for a few days after washing before taking photos.  Any pair of jeans will flatten out after a wash, but unsanforized denim like RJB uses tends to get its shape back pretty quickly.

I took a shower in them, took them off in the shower and washed them a bit and then put them back on in the shower before walking around all day with no underwear on.  Like Cold Summer said though, I did wait a few days before taking that photo so they would have stretched out tiny bit. 

Normally I retire my jeans after 1 exact year and I have a pair of Ironhearts for thes coming year that are already perfectly broken in.  However, the RJBs are that perfect shade of indigo.

Edited by Osmosis Jones

Wow... that is dedication right there...

Considering that you wore them right out of the shower, it's amazing how the creases have lined up exactly as they were before the wash! I thought they would have been messed up a bit from wearing them wet.

Any chance you could show us some nice front and back fit pics?

• 2 months later...

RJB 105BSP size 33 

RAW fit pics

Picked up f/ SELA last month when I was there. Actually, the GF got these for me because she liked them so much. Can't argue with that! I'm very fortunate to having such a generous gal, even if she takes shit pics LOL! 

They've since been hemmed at SELA and had a cold wash. After a cold wash, they were pretty tight in the waist, top block and thighs. Serious nut crushers. This is about as low of a rise as i can handle. I tried on the 103BSP, and there was NO WAY that was happening on me. After a couple of days wear, they've relaxed a bit in the waist, top block, crotch and thighs and are quite comfy now. The denim seems to me to have a bit of a looser weave and therefore some give to it. 

Considering a slight taper f/ Rail CAR... 

The pockets of these jeans are next to useless  - they are so tight in the front AND back that I can hardly get my hand into them. I wear a 1.75" belt and the front pocket opening is not very low from the waist band, and it's nearly impossible to get my hand into them with a belt on. The back pockets are also really tight. I think they'll relax a little with more wear. Thanks again Kiya! 

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_1_zps6f062d4

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_2_zpsaf3c62b

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_3_zps2b32068

Those look great, don't get them tapered... just hem them until no break (if they're not there already) and it makes a big difference.  I've been thinking about the 105bsps as well, so after a wash they stretched back?

Looks like a great fit to me.  The front rise on my 105s is much longer than on my 1001s, but the short back rise might be a problem for people who have bigger rear ends. 

I'm surprised you find the front pockets tight, I've had problems with front pockets being too tight on some other pairs but it's pretty easy to get my hands in these.  I think both the front and back pockets will loosen up with a little wear, though.

RJB 105BSP size 33 

RAW fit pics

Picked up f/ SELA last month when I was there. Actually, the GF got these for me because she liked them so much. Can't argue with that! I'm very fortunate to having such a generous gal, even if she takes shit pics LOL! 

They've since been hemmed at SELA and had a cold wash. After a cold wash, they were pretty tight in the waist, top block and thighs. Serious nut crushers. This is about as low of a rise as i can handle. I tried on the 103BSP, and there was NO WAY that was happening on me. After a couple of days wear, they've relaxed a bit in the waist, top block, crotch and thighs and are quite comfy now. The denim seems to me to have a bit of a looser weave and therefore some give to it. 

Considering a slight taper f/ Rail CAR... 

The pockets of these jeans are next to useless  - they are so tight in the front AND back that I can hardly get my hand into them. I wear a 1.75" belt and the front pocket opening is not very low from the waist band, and it's nearly impossible to get my hand into them with a belt on. The back pockets are also really tight. I think they'll relax a little with more wear. Thanks again Kiya! 

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_1_zps6f062d4

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_2_zpsaf3c62b

RJB-105BSP_raw_fit_05-11-14_3_zps2b32068

Dude, these look perfect. I'm so glad to see they turned out great after a soak. After your visit, I've been seriously contemplating these myself, and this pic pretty much just sold them. Way to be at the forefront of an under appreciated jean.

The waist looks fine. It will give enough with wear to be comfortable.

Remember, that denim shrinks in the leg opening and thigh dimension more than any other jean we carry (maybe .5 inch). Over time, they'll slightly taper in nicely, as well as mold around your legs, so I would definitely hold off on tapering. Besides that, they look tough as hell. Leave them be!

My 105bsps have become the pair of jeans by which I judge all other jeans. It really is some weird, awesome fabric. Don't taper them, just give them a good hem.

You mentioned you cold washed them right? I gave mine a hot soak for an hour, then a hot wash on delicate, and achieved much more shrink in the hot wash. So if they fit you very tight now, it could possibly get worse. Ive heard if all you ever do is cold wash then you should be okay, but for me that sounds like one step away from an inevitable mistake.

Edited by SuperJackle

Yeah, I did do just a cold wash on hand wash cycle, short as possible. When I tried them on in the shop they were snug in the top block and thighs, but fine in the waist. The 34 was way too big in the waist, and there wasn't significantly more room in the top block and thigh. 

I had them hemmed at 33.5" to allow for some extra shrink. I'll wear them for a bit before I wash them again. I want to see how much they'll give before I decide how to wash them next time. They did loose quite  a bit of width in the leg opening. I was thinking of tapering slightly since these are a lighter weight denim and I'll probably wear them in warmer months, with sneaks. I think a sligtly tapered leg looks better with sneaks than a straight leg. Boots look good either way. 

i picked up a pair of 106bsp on ebay hoping they would be the same denim as my sexfhxrjb15 but alas it is not...any reviews on the rjb denim used on the 106bsp?  i was disappointed that the denim wasn't the same but i'm in love w/ the fit

Have a look at Kiya's pair from a few years back. It's an extremely beautiful denim, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If it's a more recent pair, it has a nice semi slubby texture. Either way, it gets nice and bright blue with some cool streakiness. The 106 is an excellent slim straight as well. Wear em hard.

i picked up a pair of 106bsp on ebay hoping they would be the same denim as my sexfhxrjb15 but alas it is not...any reviews on the rjb denim used on the 106bsp?  i was disappointed that the denim wasn't the same but i'm in love w/ the fit

from what i remember the 105 and 106 used to be made from the same unsanforized fabric that was smoother and had a soft hand. now the new fabric, at least for the 105bsp, is the same fabric as the SExTFHxRJB denim with a slubbier texture to it.

the fabric you have is a great denim that fades really well. it doesn't have the same slubbiness as the collab denim but it has some awesome character that only becomes more apparent with wear. if you go a few pages back, you'll see great looking jeans that use the same fabric as yours. 

Here is this year's limited edition model: D105S-14SS

3064089f71d78a1dc452ca41a2c0102a_zpsc597

ac283a1700066387cac7f9ca4a882e37_zps269f

170d3ee8152fcf86d735975bf8449809_zps9152

The denim is considerable slubbier than expected - also, it appears heavier than the indicated 14oz.

e6ca020d1947ff46c28ab892634ad0a2_zpsac5d

21be96128cc7fe1c8d071b86376af3c8_zps31d4

The denim will certainly settle with wear - here is a direct comparison with a soaked and worn pair from the 2010 edition...

2207a3d7ddfef40dca089d38b31bccbb_zps15f8

d775eed8fe8d9389a1a4c6b98e04bceb_zpsffd2

1ef1c75a37593d0824fd87214b9aad3d_zpsc8b5

b5df8d230d6bb50843d02781e850a708_zpsd34c

Off soaking this pair...

I agree Foxy, I have the D105 and the fabric feels nearly as heavy as my 1001s, it's definitely the most substantial 14 oz. denim I've encountered (although I guess that could change after the pair gets broken in and smooths out a bit.)

The old RJB fabric was unsanforized but singed to give it a smoother surface, and the weave was completely different from the newer one.

The old fabric was nice but IMO the current 14 oz. is one of the absolute best fabrics on the market right now.

I love my old pair, but this is an entirely different story...I'm sure I'll love it no matter what!

Let's see how the cut has been tweaked to accommodate for the different behavior of the new denim. Or, maybe this will result in slightly different fit & feel after soaking.

Somewhere, I have the 2013 limited edition - when I get to it I'll compare all 3 pairs.

nice comparison.  the busy-looking weft is a dead giveaway for me for the newer rjb denim.  my sefhrjb15s with the newer denim are broken in and feel light and airy compared to my new pair that uses the older rjb denim, so i guess it has a lot to do with wear...the old denim is growing on me and i think both are great

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my pair of D105S-13SS out the other day. This pair is already soaked but not hemmed, yet.

856bc142b6acb2a53e39a0c4b5f174a1_zps8aa0

41674de5b1a75fafdd0642a1e2471f80_zps770a

3d3b7ca42d0898668ed8517bc48ef7e5_zps7a6f

The switch from the old (slightly lighter, more even) denim to the current must haven happened in 2011 or 2012.

38589e8775f7a37815509c5c4876155d_zps686e

c95bc61e1339b5cd93f38eb4b6403f9b_zps32f7

b9bf01060bf0ec707a533516e85021c3_zpseee8