Fashion Internships.

jezy24

nah mouko interned somewhere else, he works at Geller. Thomas Highstreet interned with Juun J, I think, and I'm pretty sure seenmy did styling / interning with aitor throupe. there are others I'm sure, but those are the ones that come to mind.

If you have an interview to intern at Jil Sander, you must be doing something right, good luck

My friend interned for Alexander Wang for a while.

She recently quit. Most of the girls interning their are really rude.

She was present backstage with Alex at his shows and stuff. Their is no glory and very little satisfaction when you start interning. It is mostly being pushed around by people who have been there longer than you and running errands all day.

I wish you all the best. Interning for Jil Sander will be a much more fulfilling experience than working for someone as young and unexperienced as Wang.

My friend interned for Alexander Wang for a while.

She recently quit. Most of the girls interning their are really rude.

She was present backstage with Alex at his shows and stuff. Their is no glory and very little satisfaction when you start interning. It is mostly being pushed around by people who have been there longer than you and running errands all day.

I wish you all the best. Interning for Jil Sander will be a much more fulfilling experience than working for someone as young and unexperienced as Wang.

damn, that sucks

i just read some mag feature on A. Wang, I think in i-D...I got the impression it sounded like this guy was running the chillest operation in fashion. I was taken aback at how effortlessly laid back he made his whole ascent to stardom sound, found it kinda odd.

i hate the A.D.D. nature of sufu but...on the topic of a. wang, i was reading a facebook picture comment that kind of took me by surprise.

the pictures were from the showing of his most recent collection, of which my friend was a runway model. a girl boasting from picture to picture about how much she LOVED each look made a comment raving about how "articulate" he was and how that further justified her love for his designs.

i think more so than him being non-white, it was the fact that wang comes from the world of fashion and therefore (in this girl's eyes) should be assumed to have less intelligence and have to prove otherwise. while many posters in this forum are regrettable, i believe that many could easily overturn this sterotype.

relating back to the original topic of the thread, however, along with growing a thick skin and dealing with huge ego's, you may have to hold your own- NOT by the way you dress or look- but by demonstration of pure knowledge and skill.

Like any other internship, ABSORB as much as you can, CONTRIBUTE when appropriate, and maintain INTEGRITY when it comes the level of "abuse" you or any person should tolerate.

And like Tyro 1 stated, if you are interning with Jil Sander you must be doing something right. Trust yourself.

there are always horror stories, but keep it in perspective and realize everybody has to start somewhere.

Well said, and unfortunately the myth is very true. I have a buddy who interned at a magazine with a degree in journalism from one of the best institutions in the world. Sadly for her part she ended up with manual labour taking care of very small tasks despite the fact that she was willing to do more and take more responsibility. People people poor attitude is something else she had to put up with every day.

The road to glamour is long and only those really dedicated and passionate about what they do will make it.

Did someone call me?

Stop whoring yourself out for attention.

Magazine internships are both easier and harder than actual fashion internships. Magazine internships don't really require any technical skill when you start, which is why it can be difficult to get noticed, since the bar is pretty low and there are about a million eager replacements with resumes in hand. Conversely, if you are able to get your foot in the door and really are willing to put in a lot of bitch work for little to no thanks/pay, it's not that hard to get noticed. And the publishing world is full of bitchy people and random shit, so just tuck your head down and keep at your own work.

Well said, and unfortunately the myth is very true. I have a buddy who interned at a magazine with a degree in journalism from one of the best institutions in the world. Sadly for her part she ended up with manual labour taking care of very small tasks despite the fact that she was willing to do more and take more responsibility. People people poor attitude is something else she had to put up with every day.

You've gotta remember it's the employer doing the intern the favour, not the other way around. Most people starting out (in any industry) don't know half as much as they think they do. Gotta earn your stripes.

true^^^

you also have to take in to account that the people directly above you will see you as a threat, its a very fickle enviroment so you do have to look out for yourself, and expect others to be garded as they will expect you to be creeping up behind them to take their job/responsibility.

best advice i was ever given was be genuine and nice on your way up as it will make the fall back down a lot less hard

how does one get into the nyc fashion/mag world if im not studying anything related?? i have an internship lined up in LA for the summer and ill come to NY afterwards but id love to get a fashion related connection going to convince my parents that maybe studying fashunz aint all that bad.

You don't have to study anything related....I interned at a magazine this summer and only about 3 interns actually went to school for fashion or were studying a field centered around art. Just find out who to contact at the magazine you want to intern at and take it from there.

• 3 years later...

How important is it do unpaid internships to get anywhere in the business? Is it pure exploiting or is it something you can benefit from? I'm currently emailing around to ask about internships. Should I expect anything without having studied in fashion?

How important is it do unpaid internships to get anywhere in the business? Is it pure exploiting or is it something you can benefit from? I'm currently emailing around to ask about internships. Should I expect anything without having studied in fashion?

It really depends on what you're wanting to do and what direction of your career you're heading towards. Being the world is today, if you have nothing new to offer on board unfortunately that's what's going to make things hard for you. if you intern with McQueen unfortunately for most it's a waste of time, they expect jobs & respect after long terms of being there. Only the best come out. My advice is to intern with a designer that is not so large as you can see from the above comments with the horror myths being true most of the time. So my answer to your question, having not studied fashion or anything in reference to the field, it's highly recommended that you have something to offer if you're ever given the right opportunity, something to show and back it up. I trust what i say finds you well. unfortunately this industry is one of the hardest, the big designers I know work 80-90 hours per week, some 112+. Even the most talented don't make it through because they lack in the 'drive'.

I hope that helps.

i also think magazine internships should be in a separate thread. most are completely different roads to the ones wanting to pursue something in the 'design' industry and have virtually no correspondence to fashion other than the word itself. most pursuing something in the magazine industry need a background in journalism or along the road of styling/photography, otherwise what is it that you are wanting out of it?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I interned at Nautica and at Buckler (a now defunct Young Designer collection) when I was in school and had good experiences, overall. The work wasn't necessarily interesting, but no one treated me like dirt and I got to help with a Buckler runway show in '07.

I know neither is a major fashion house, but I'd thought I'd share my experience.

• 1 month later...

I've been pretty lucky in that I've been able to intern with some very entry-level designers who've been easy to work with, really hands on and super approachable about running and starting my own brand.

Last summer I worked with Stephanie D. in Portland, OR and got to assist her in cutting and assembling her run for Portland's FashioNXT runway event. Her bread & butter money comes mostly from bridal design so I was doing a lot of fitting and finishing for wedding dresses as well but the experience was great.

I'm doing a short-term internship right now with a local designer/costumer Seattle now, Micheal Cepress. My background in design and clothing construction is from the theatre so it's been a really great fit and it's just me and one other intern. Again, really fabulous hands on learning. I've gotten to be a part in almost every facet of his business since he runs the whole show. We're currently working on a musical that he's costuming as well as his upcoming F/W collection.

My experiences have been overwhelming good and I attribute it to me seeking out grassroots operations. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

(am I allowed to hyperlink names to respective websites? I don't want to be flagged for "advertising" or anything)

Edited by Remington