5ep

nairb49

• 3 weeks later...

A direct connection with Ralph Lauren, but not those jeans!

See this nice review: http://www.flashfilm.com/us/fashion/denim/fd0023_5ep.html

• 11 months later...

Just picked up the last pair of 5EP Low Down Boot in Rigid Raw, that they had at Revolve clothing for 50% off. So just $127. I'm not sure if they shipped it free or not. I'll have to go check my credit card statement later. Anyway, a lot of things had been said about this brand, and I was curious to own a pair and see. It's a tagged 33/32, but raw it's about 34/34. I'm going to see if soaking it will shrink it down a little. The jean has a strong smell of starch which usually is indicative of long storage. I'm thinking these were made a while ago and not sold until now (explains the marked down price as well). Smooth denim, light (maybe 13oz?), red line selvage. Well made and well worth $127, but I'd be hard pressed to buy full retail with jeans like KMW in the same price category. Some quick pics.

5EP01.jpg

5EP02.jpg

5EP03.jpg

5EP04.jpg

5EP05.jpg

Out of curiosity, in what way do you think KMW is better?

Natural indigo, zimbabwe cotton, half lined pockets, the hardware, deer skin patch (the patch on my 5EP have already started to come away from the jean, and I haven't even started to wear them yet!). I even like the little red stitched on mule. Of course, that's just details. Not that I think I'm a denim expert or anything, but personally, I've handled a lot of denim, and I just don't think that 5EP is worth $275. In that price range (had I paid retail) for non-Japanese brands, I own an Imperial Duke, Stronghold Flame selvage straight, KMW 1980, RRDS and ALD RP. Out of the above, the only two I would most paid full retail to own is the KMW and the Stronghold (and was actually putting money aside for the herringbone, but I managed to grab this pair on sale). That's just me, of course. And I think what I paid for my 5EP is a heck of a bargain.

Was just curious because they are one of the brands that are extremely well regarded at the other SF but are kind of ignored over here. Either way, one of my favorite things about the 5EP denim is the color. I believe its a bit of a unique synthetic/natural indigo blend and has a beautiful greencast.