Eternal Jeans

minya

Bought this second hand from The Andrew on the supermarket 3 months ago, which was hardly worn.

Total wear time by The Andrew:

2 months of on and off wear.

Me: about 2 1/2 months

1 wash-1 soak

Teaser shot - more pics when they show more wear.

2ii7os8.jpg

can that prevent crotch tear too? Mine are only on light rotation but I see some some signs of strain starting already...before even any significant color fade!

The whole "many months, no wash" thing is definitely not good for the denim. If you're determined to maintain well-defined creasing, then just soak rather than wash. This way there will be no loss/movement of the creases already formed from wear.

In my experience, a soak at least once a month prevents a lot of holes and thinning of creases without affecting dem fades at all.

After hours of contemplating and sifting through a large part of this thread, I have finally made my order. Raw 811, size 28, hemmed to a 31 inseam.

Hopefully this isn't something I'll regret and give me what I'm looking for (a more wearable and forgiving cut compared to my size 27 5010xx 6x6).

You mean a 34.5 inseam so it shrinks to a 31 inseam. A 31 inseam in raw state will shrink to a 27.5 so make sure that's correct as good luck ever finding a buyer if you screw it up!
yea im not a big fan of hemming before im sure i want to keep them cause hemming can kill the resell value

I go into every jean purchase with the idea of keeping them, otherwise, why buy in the first place? And (back then) there was no post wash hemming options in Aus. Even now, only a handful of Rakuten stores and BiG use a proper US hemming machine with the proper attachment, most stores hem by hand on a flatbed machine, which can leave you with an uneven hem, mistakes on the roll, and/or flat hem with very little chance of rope.

Well, I'm a fairly short guy. I'm HOPING they'll shrink to a 29 inseam (give or take). You guys think I messed up? I could still change/cancel the order I think.

If they already cut the jean, I think it's too late to change/cancel your order. That being said, I don't think you're screwed. Everyone thinks that the length on unsanforized raw denim will shrink up 2.5 - 3 in, but only if you've got a 38in inseam to begin with. The shorter the inseam, the shorter the amount of shrinkage. I get all my jeans hemmed to 34-34.5 to expect a final wash inseam of 32. And this has worked on every jean I've bought in the past 2 years, most of them shrinking down to 33-32.5 max (even with hot wash and tumble dry). I'd be surprised if your 31 inseam shrank more than 2in.

I go into every jean purchase with the idea of keeping them, otherwise, why buy in the first place?

sure thats always the goal, but theres always the chance esp with STF denim that they wont fit. buying online when you cant try them on in advance always leaves more room for error so sure you plan to keep every purchase you make, theres a chance that you wont like them after you get them

Most of the time when you see the "diapers" look on trousers, it is caused by a back rise that is too long. I have seen that most repro makers overdo the back rise measure claiming that vintage jeans were cut that way. But most of the older vintage models were worn with braces (suspenders) and were held in places by buckles and straps...ie not worn with belts. A brace trouser is normally cut much longer in back than a belted trouser...a tailor will tell you so.

Take your "diaper" jeans to an alterations tailor and ask him to shorten the back rise. It is an easy operations, should not cost much and will make the jeans look better.

Or don't sag and wear the pants where it should be worn and use a belt.

Exactly! That is the first option and if that fails then simply have the back rise shortened.

Or if you feel very energetic, go to the gym and work those glutes till you have the behind to fill the jeans out.

Exactly! That is the first option and if that fails then simply have the back rise shortened.

Or if you feel very energetic, go to the gym and work those glutes till you have the behind to fill the jeans out.

Easier said than done! ha ha, I've been working on my lower body on and off for years. I can get more tone and a maybe a little bigger but I've never been able to fill out the butt space. The 811s I'm working on have a low enough rise that sideways I don't look that ill-fitted, but damn those wide hips from the front view!

Fail mifune

but fiddling with the centreback is one of the worst things you can do.

Firstly, your tailor will NOT have a double needle chainstitcher to put together what he's taken apart. Instead he apply single 2 single needle stitches.... that looks like shit and not very durable.

I've had this done of on a pair of samurais 510. The tailor said they will look exactly the same as the original stitches. The truth is they Dont, and i was extremely pissed and demanded he needs to replace my jeans. But he wouldnt, so i've been spreading bad rep for him ever since.

Guys

A tailor will remove the cloth necessary from the back rise in such a way that the bulk of the cloth comes from the center of the back seam and tapers out towards the sides (as shown.) This will cure your diaper problems.

riselower.jpg

PSA: if you plan on hemming 811's, might as well get the shorter inseam JDM versions, and not the BiG version.

i hemmed mine to ~31" and the proportions of the jeans are fucked. (leg opening huge)

compared to a pair of JDM 33" inseam pants hemmed to 31", the leg opening measures a full 1/2 inch larger. (8.0 on the BiG, 7.5 on the JDM)

debating whether i should alter them or just let them be.