Full Count 2009 Contest Redux

Denim Phenom

gonna cut out the arc on the paper and line it to pocket and paint over it.

practice on some other jeans first, and remember, less is more.

You can always apply more paint.

Place a book or something inside the jeans under the back pocket to get a flat surface.

hey exhausted,your from montreal right?either way when i order from big this happens to me sometimes and then they magically show up without the tracking status being chnaged on the website,i have no idea why,but they may just show up,i hope so for your sake.

I used the method mentioned by the fellow with the black stitching (forgot sn) and cut the template out and stitched over it after tacking it down with a few quick stitches. I started at the bottom of the arc and worked my way to the edge of the pocket. That way I was doing each pocket in quarters and didn't have to mess with adding more string. Plus I needed a break after each quarter.

how can you tell where your needles is going to come up from on the inside of the pocket ? say you stitch in but then when you come back up ! you dunno where you'll end up ! especially with paper covering where your needle comes up from... that and howd you start each stitch ? won't the knot show on the front and be unsightly ? i dun get it =/

heh, as for knowing where you'll come up, i would push up through the paper until it was in the right spot while making sure the paper was on the denim. sometimes I would have to stab into the paper quite a few time until the needle came up in the right spot. the stitch i used was a back-stitch.

to start, make sure you have the needle in the middle of a long piece of thread, then tie a knot in the bottom so the thread is doubled. then start from the inside of the pocket and pull through and go back in. do this another time so there's kind of two stitches in the same place to root the thread. if you look closely at the pic i posted, you'll see it's a little thicker at the bottom of the arcs where i started. then just go along back-stitching to the edge, which gets kind of tricky cause you have to go from the inside of the pocket to the inside of the jeans.

hope that helps

I had a few PMs about how I did my arcs so I figured I'd make a post. It looks like batorizer pretty much beat me to it, though.

I cut the template out from the paper, and then stapled it to the pocket. Yes, staples. I used four per pocket, and that seemed to do the trick. I think I used three pieces of thread per arc, any longer than that kept causing knots and such as I was trying to pull the thread through. I did the whole deal with the pockets left on the pants, it wasn't that bad except for trying to transition to the very edges of the pockets and near the intersection of the two halves of the arcs. After I got the whole arc done, I trimmed off as much paper as I could with a scissors, and then I used a needle to pick out the remaining paper. I have a couple of loose stitches due to pulling the template out after stitching, but they will either be replaced at some point or just be left to tear and make the arcs look more worn in. I think it took me about 5 hours total, probably 3.5 hours for the first arc and 1.5 hours for the second one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about knowing where the needle comes up, it takes a lot of tentative poking until the needle comes up where you want it. You really shouldn't hurt the denim doing this either.

Any more questions, let me know!