Your Top Albums of 2008

quackculture

2008 has been a pretty mediocre year for music. But with that said there were a few Gems that dropped this year. The year is almost over and I can't really think of too highly anticipated albums that are yet to be released.

Anyway, What are your top 5 albums of 2008?

EPs and Mixtapes are welcome.

Mine are.

1. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah

d0002457_47f65d33b6475.jpg

2. Tv on the Radio - Dear Science

3. Beach House - Devotion

4. No Age - Nouns

5. Nas - Untitled

------------------------------------>

6. Born Ruffians - Red, Blue and Yellow

7. Hercules and Love Affair - S/T

8. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

9. Air France - No Way Down EP

10. All the Saints - Fire on Corridor X

Copeland - You Are My Sunshine

Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream

Facing New York - Get Hot

Now and Forever- ...Of Wounds and Blessings

That's all I can think of right now, but all those albums are extremely solid.

Jonathan Richman- Because Her Beauty is Raw and Wild

Really incredible stuff

1. Moscow Olympics - Cut the World

I've heard some complaints that it gets somewhat repetitive since their instrumental parts are really similar in all their songs, but I can overlook that by realizing that this is such a ridiculously great debut album IMO. If there were one album I'd carry with me for this year this'd be it. Fuck TVOTR, deerhunter, fleet foxes, w/e, this is going to be a classic (if people actually get around to listening to it).

2. Los Campesinos! - We are Beautiful, We are Doomed

Probably going to get some heat on this hah, but I've been listening to it constantly since I got the leak a couple months back. imo, it's about as perfect a pop album as you can get.

4. Portishead - Third

I tried so hard to like that Portishead album but I just couldnt get into it.

I kinda felt the same way about it, since I got into Dummy literally 2 weeks before I listened to Third, and they're really different, but Third is a great album, some absolute fucking gems on it, i.e. The Rip, Magic Doors, Deep Waters just to name a few.

3. Blank Dogs - On Two Sides

NYC REPRESENT. I kinda wanted to put The Fields rather than On Two Sides as my obligatory Blank Dogs lister, but album wins over mini-album simply for having more songs.

5. Boris - Smile

It's boris. Haven't listened to it as much as when I first got it, but when I look at the other albums I've liked this year, Smile still stands out. Probably my favorite Boris album :X

After this it gets all fuzzy.

Still trying to organize where: Cut Copy, Crystal Stilts, Parts & Labor, Best Friends Forever, Titus Andronicus, No Age, Okkervil River, Vivian Girls, all go. There are some other things that'd probably place high if I give it another listen though.. TVOTR for one.

1. Moscow Olympics - Cut the World

Moscow Olympics are nice but their sound isnt anything new to make it a breakthrough record. I enjoyed the album but I thought it sounded alot like Interpol and Galaxie 500 which is not a bad thing.

It is however one of the better albums out this year.

I posted that album on my blog (shameless promotion) if anyone else is interested

Hm really?

I was never much of an interpol fan so I can't comment on that, and I only have On Fire by Galaxie 500 and I don't really feel a connection there, just going by that album Galaxie have much more of a..."minimalist" sound, really different from Moscow, who have a more complex sound (at least simply going by On Fire).

Suis La Lune - Heir

Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Front Page Of The Newspaper. There's a War Going On And I'm In Heavy Boots

Squarepusher - Just A Souvenir

Underoath - Lost In The Sound Of Separation

Thursday/Envy Split

Cult Of Luna - Eternal Kingdom

These Arms Are Snakes - Tail Swallower And Dove

Thrice - The Alchemy Index, Volumes 3-4

Misery Signals - Controller

Crocus - The Worst Kind Of Joy Is Hope

• 4 weeks later...

4. Portishead - Third

I kinda felt the same way about it, since I got into Dummy literally 2 weeks before I listened to Third, and they're really different, but Third is a great album, some absolute fucking gems on it, i.e. The Rip, Magic Doors, Deep Waters just to name a few.

hmmm, two weeks is definitely way too short of a time to build the anticipation necessary to be bitterly disappointed by an album.

viv girls, tyvek and wavves albums all killed the blank dogs... sorry! nothing people lp was also pretty hottt

but dead luke single #1 killed them all

notwithstanding that, thomas function's "snake in the grass" may be the anthem of the year along with a giggs track to be specified later

that's it for now

The releases I played through the most this year ...

Hercules & Love Affair

M83 - Saturdays = Youth

Giggs - Walk In Da Park

Prodigy - Product of the 80's

Zeigeist - The Jade Motel

Honorable mentions ... Cut Copy, Beach House, Roadside G's, Bubonic Plague, Styles P, Gang Gang Dance, Poni Hoax, Heltah Skeltah, Warbringer

Missed out on a couple albums. Download spree time.

Annuals - Such Fun

only thing i really really liked this year

you're such a babe.

08 was an excellent year for music, sorry to the threadstarter..

ya need to do your re-search, fellow!

animal collective - water curses +++

annuals - such fun

dear and the headlights - drunk like bible times

ratatat - lp3

my morning jacket - evil urges +++

beach house - devotion

white denim - workout holiday ++

erykah badu - new amerykah

igorrr - moisissure++

black mountain - in the future

no age - nouns

devotchka - a mad and faithful telling ++

mars volta - bedlam in goliath +++

dept of eagles - in ear park ++

crystal castles - s/t

and i know i'm still leaving shit out

hmmm, two weeks is definitely way too short of a time to build the anticipation necessary to be bitterly disappointed by an album.

Haha. I wish I were listening to music (specifically, Portishead) long enough to be bitterly disappointed. But from my, albeit a shortsighted, perspective, it's a great album that definitely deserves mention and the acclaim it's gotten.

viv girls, tyvek and wavves albums all killed the blank dogs... sorry! nothing people lp was also pretty hottt

But this though: really??? All three of those are great but Blank Dogs defeinitely released the more accomplished and interesting album. Sure it doesn't hold the same amount of constant replay value that Vivian Girls or any of those other bands have but that doesn't mean its any worse. Besides the album, The Fields (which I like more than OTS actually) definitely tops the other three.

I'll definitely check out everything else you've mentioned though. I'm on the dead luke myspace right now and it sounds pretty great. Like a noisier.. psych-ier blank dogs?? haha. I fail at descriptions. :(

Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band - Season Of Changes

American Music Club - The Golden Age

Youth Group - The Night Is Ours

Those were the standouts for me. Other good ones -

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...

Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

Hercules & Love Affair