Clothing for The Great Outdoors

There's been a nice amount of technical cycling gear coming out which has largely been more affordable than a lot of mountaineering brands. Curious to hear your guys thoughts. Personally, I'll probably be picking up a Swrve hardshell and some of the schoeller fabric pants.

Examples....

Mission Workshop

Orion Rain Jacket

Bosun Wool Jacket

Outlier

Merino Hoodie

Packable Windbreaker (friend ordered this and was pretty impressed by it)

Swrve

Schoeller Jean

Milkwaukee Hoodie

Rapha

Cycling Bomber

Like what I see, though there is a big emphasis on the fashion aspect of this stuff which is annoying when they won't even post a full body shot of a jacket in lieu of artsy shots of a guy drinking coffee at a bar (glaring at you Mission Workshop). Still, there is an emphasis on technical fabric and articulation which I'm sure would be handy in any outdoors situation.

Curious what peoples experience has been with it. I know there is some discussion in the cycling thread but I feel like there's a crossover to this thread (especially with how slow it's been lately)

Outlier is pretty damn amazing.

Their sizing is average American for outerwear, aka, personally, a true 40" is about a small in all shirts, while pants sizing is correct, 30" true-to-size for 30" waist.

Their merino hoody is standard weight, personally I thought it was a little thin for the price, but the cut and articulation is well done. I think the best value is in their pants, which really seem amazing for the fabric, cut and articulation. The 4stretch material is really that, superiorly freeing, especially compared to most denim. Not only that, but the fit is spot-on, nice and slim, somewhere between APC NS and NCs with a small leg opening.

I think Rapha is overpriced crap, trying to hard, and tbqh, there's no point in buying cycling clothing at that pricepoint. It's going to get sweated in, bled on, torn-up, and rained on. Might as well just pick up Shimano jerseys or something.

Friends have purchased Swrve/Chrome stuff and it's reasonably constructed/well-made.

Somebody cop dat Mission Workshop gear. It looks tasty, and pricy.

I went true to size on my ML2's and they fit perfect. D ran a little narrow for me...

Looks like Danner upgraded the ML2s for the US market with a tan suede and light brown leather option, and murdered out.

Oh no, conflicting suggestions! Thanks guys ;)

I wonder if its safe to go down half a size and EE. Damn i hate ordering shoes without trying them on.

I wonder if its safe to go down half a size and EE. Damn i hate ordering shoes without trying them on.

Danner seem to be just a touch shorter than Red Wing and more narrow (but just a touch shorter).

Is this of any help?

I'd go for half a size bigger, put Sole or Superfeet in them anyways. Theres nothing worst than too snug hiking boot. Once you've walked all day your feet start to swell and soon your toes start to hit the front of the boot... :(

I'm on a bike 3 or 4 days a week for several hours at a time, and I hardly fuck with all that bike-specific technical outerwear.

Most of it is geeked the fuck out, plus what they think of when they design seems to me less the messenger and more the commuter/coffee shop goer. (this does NOT apply to bags, which are usually overly designed for messengers even when they are not for them)

This means that by-and-large if you are going to be outdoors on your bike in trying conditions for 8-10 hrs straight, a lot of this stuff will not serve you so well. It's also not tough enough--Most of the shells/windbreakers I see in the cycling shops suffer from potato chip bag syndrome.

i find that most patagonia/arc teryx/RAB/(insert-favorite-brand-here) works just as well if not better in a variety of conditions, and for a variety of activities, thus making brands like these my choice for winter bike wear.

The end.

i find that most patagonia/arc teryx/RAB/(insert-favorite-brand-here) works just as well if not better in a variety of conditions, and for a variety of activities, thus making brands like these my choice for winter bike wear.

The end.

Same here, though I wear Haglöfs (it's in every shop here and suits my scandinavian figure better being longer and slimmer) but all the same.

Outlier is pretty damn amazing.

Their sizing is average American for outerwear, aka, personally, a true 40" is about a small in all shirts, while pants sizing is correct, 30" true-to-size for 30" waist.

Their merino hoody is standard weight, personally I thought it was a little thin for the price, but the cut and articulation is well done. I think the best value is in their pants, which really seem amazing for the fabric, cut and articulation. The 4stretch material is really that, superiorly freeing, especially compared to most denim. Not only that, but the fit is spot-on, nice and slim, somewhere between APC NS and NCs with a small leg opening.

I think Rapha is overpriced crap, trying to hard, and tbqh, there's no point in buying cycling clothing at that pricepoint. It's going to get sweated in, bled on, torn-up, and rained on. Might as well just pick up Shimano jerseys or something.

Friends have purchased Swrve/Chrome stuff and it's reasonably constructed/well-made.

Somebody cop dat Mission Workshop gear. It looks tasty, and pricy.

thinking about getting the 60/30 khakis. from the pictures it looks like they are cut slim. i usually wear 30 but might size up to a 31 for a more relaxed fit.

Thanks for the background on Manastash, saw it in a recent outdoor (jp) magazine and figured it was a japan brand in the vein of Wild Things.

Pretty interesting material-wise, wish they had a site that was a little clearer than twojupiters

their site makes me rage, emailed dude about sale pricing, their facebooks claiming 50-75% off

Talked to dude, price listed is sale price. working on getting sizing info

caliroots has some better pictures/descriptions

Actually funny you should say that. I want my next outerwear purchase to be either klattermusen or Haglofs, but impossible to get the former stateside, and VAT is a bitch

True ... I've been scoping out Klattys and see that they have a few JP stockists now so I may go with that route.

For European shops that ship to the states ... I don't think you have to pay VAT, I'm not 100% on that. Might depend on the store.

True ... I've been scoping out Klattys and see that they have a few JP stockists now so I may go with that route.

For European shops that ship to the states ... I don't think you have to pay VAT, I'm not 100% on that. Might depend on the store.

I dont think it depends on the store. If anything they DONT want to charge you VAT b/c they dont see a dime of it and the lower price is a higher incentive to get rid of expensive inventory.