Clothing for The Great Outdoors

Ok guys. Looking for a soft shell. decent insulation (gets int he teens where i live) That I can wear as a casual jacket and will keep me warm in light snow being outside for an hour or 2.

want something with a detachable hood.

Looking at this, but don't think the hood detaches.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-LT-Hoody#Insulated_Shell

Wanna keep it well under 300 if I can.

Does anyone own the Kasson(cheapest version)? I need a relatively cheap winter coat and am wondering if its worth the $180.

kasson_navy_1_2.jpg

I got this jacket and i really like it. While it isnt the warmest, it can accommodate a midlayer for warmth. I used it during a PA winter trip in snow and it kept me warm. Fit is good, details are on point, instakop.

^^^ I like it.

http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Firee-Hoody

Meets pretty much all of my criteria. Might try to find somethign without a hood as it isn't a total necessity

I like this as well

http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-SV-Hoody

Would get the green color for both. EVERYONE owns a black North Face jacket where I live so I really don't want to get anything black.

hey november, couldnt comment cause i actually just got the vest delivered today. fit for me is spot on, i went with my normal size of jackets and shirts which is an XL. i was told it fits true to size and its does in my case

the construction is real nice and warm as hell, looking forward to wearing it with a sweat and i should be good in most nyc weather....

hey november, couldnt comment cause i actually just got the vest delivered today. fit for me is spot on, i went with my normal size of jackets and shirts which is an XL. i was told it fits true to size and its does in my case

the construction is real nice and warm as hell, looking forward to wearing it with a sweat and i should be good in most nyc weather....

Hey thanks, man. I'm not really a fan of the green color, and I can't find any stockists in the United States that carry the Alberta Vest in black, so I'm just going to go with the Manitoba Jacket that Context is also carrying.

Thanks for the review! I just hope that CG products aren't going to be too warm.

Whole lot of shells in this thread, what have you guys been scoping out in the way of down jackets/colder weather gear? Found out I'm moving up to Denver and the heaviest thing I have is a winter weight varsity...

Garbstores parka seems super heavyweight. Got my hands on it and regret not impulse buying.

2351.jpg

^^ Just as an fyi, the 60/40 fabric most 'heritage' parkas seem to be running with is decidedly NOT waterproof/windproof. I'd suggest going with something a little more moderné if you want serious weather protection. Also isn't the Garbstore parka's hood the only part that's actually lined?

detail.jpg?1289447167

I saw this on theclymb.com for ~$40, kinda minimalist and Kelty makes good shit to climb with.

RE 60/40 I remember that one dude in this thread (I think) who wore a vintage 60/40 parka hiking, got rained on, and that shit wasn't even colorfast. This is the future, I want hi-tech hyperfabrics that convert my sweat into hot chocolate.

I know this only because I decided to be super heritage and wear it on a day-long climb. Left it at the 10 mile mark and borrowed a friend's Arc'teryx shell. Picked up a day later. :rolleyes:

Schoeller fabric is pretty bitchin' though.

Sorry to add to the classifieds nature of this thread, but I picked up this jacket from the Steven Alan online sample sale, and it's a little too big for me. I have a large. If anyone happened to grab a medium and wanted to size up, I would love to trade. Otherwise, could sell for $150. Is nice, 60ish/40/ish blend shell, poly wool blend lining, leather toggles, etc.

HIKING_JACKET_SW51_318x327.jpg