Clothing for The Great Outdoors

any recommendations on goretex pants that are slim and aren't meant for snowboarding but for rain>?

been looking at dis outlier jawn

seems to be similar or better than goretex, but i haven't any experience with their tech materials, anyone?

Interested to see Nigels Cabourn's rubberized parka. If anyone remembers that 5.00 dollar cotton twill/Salmon Rubber joint I posted about a while back..that got me wondering about some more modern/designy uses for that.

Good Stuff.

In other news...

Been paying a lot of attention to contemporary small label american and European gear makers as of late. Though as per usual, the best designs and color ways are produced for the Japanese market, I am happy to be able to discover some modern stuff that is well made and interesting. Yeah, I'm a sucker for all that old "leather bottom-60/40-cotton duck" good shit, but it's been surprisingly rewarding to reaccquaint myself with some new stuff worth its salt.

One more thing...

For those looking into the Altadena packs, they are NICE...BUT there is a flaw in the design (at least on the traditional rucksack model). The way the straps are affixed to the rest of the bag at the top triangle is not exactly "shoddy", but FAR from bomb proof, and I would not advise anyone to take it beyond the city or some light weight day hikes.

If it does infact break, I plan on writing them with some constructive criticism, becasue other than that, the pack is well designed, and made from excellent leather and cordura.

That's all from over here.

Go outside,

seems to be similar or better than goretex, but i haven't any experience with their tech materials, anyone?

For what I know they are two totally different techniques where gore-tex is a separate layer in the garment and this other is a treatment of some kind (that will eventually wear off with washing).

I have a pair of Outlier pants and they're pretty solid. The stretch is a necessity given the slimness of the pants and it doesn't hamper everyday movements.

3XDRY will fade as moykky mentioned and I don't think that it can be restored via the GORE-TEX method of throwing your piece in the dryer. But then again, I think most people on this board are accustomed to not really washing their pants that often.

Some good options might be the current year's GoLite Badlands Trinity pants and last year's Reed Pants if you can find them (good thing about these is they are packable -- I've seen these myself and can attest to their waterproofness, even after several washes, with no retreatment). Patagonia Rain Shadow is the same kidna deal, but more substantial than the Reed, less so than the Trinity. None are Gore brand fabric, but all are suitable copies, I believe. Lemme know if any of these work for you. Oh yeah, all of them are breathable, too.

Man I need straight up gore-tex pants that won't saturate. the search continues

Have you looked into the Veilance (Arcteryx) line of pants? As long as you keep up that Nanosphere coating, and aren't crabbing in the Pacific, these would be some pretty smart daily pants.

ALL Gore-Tex hardshells (as far as I know) are coated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) finish that is the first line of water protection and is what causes the water to bead and roll off the material. Eventually the DWR wears off, but can be reapplied with any number of products. Some are sprayed on, others can be washed in.

Man I need straight up gore-tex pants that won't saturate. the search continues

MEC Makes some, 3 layer gore, no insulation, wouldn't say slim, but not really baggy either.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442630555&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699263&bmUID=1264248522158

You probably want to search for alpine/rock climbing pants, as they have available the type of pant you're looking for.