Clothing for The Great Outdoors

Can anyone recommend some options for men's and women's hiking shoes/boots for light hiking?  Most common usage would be hiking in summer/autumn weather (including rainy climates) so would like them to have good traction and be waterproof/water resistant.  I've been browsing online but the number of options/brands is a bit overwhelming so just trying to narrow down the pool a bit.

Check Inov8 and Salomón, they are probably the most widely used among hikers. Im not sold on the new inov8 materials but you can find older models, boombproof, extensively tested in the field, for awesome prices. Plus, on their website, you can choose very precisely what kind of grip,cushion,etc you want according to your needs.

Also, im not sure wheter waterproof is a good option for summer/autumm hiking. Unless you are using a very rigid boot - and those aint good for light hiking - the Gore innersock wont last longer(too much strecthing,torquing, pressure, etc) and then when you feet get wet they'll stay wet like forever. Better use fine grid material that keeps the dirt out yet can wick out water quickly and a good pair of socks and let the feet breath in freedom; but all this is just a matter of preferences of course. Oh, and whatever brand/model you end choosing just make sure the top eyelet - preferably the two top ones - are reinforced with some metal material, as this is the number one failure in hiking shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Salomon is great, but best for people with narrow to regular sized feet. I love their sole design and an on my second pair of Quest 4d gtx boots. Some of the lightest mountain boots you'll find.

Every once in a blue moon I've found places that stock Salomon in wide sizes. I got a pair of their XA Pro 3D Ultra trail runners that I loved for light hiking, but the soles wore down super quick and now I can't find any more in wide.

Any places to buy Danner Lights in black other than Rakuten?

N2MWMvS.png

They're everything I want in a hiking boot, but I think they might be just for the japanese market.

I've got the same problem.  Danner lights at the corner shop - $240.  Danner Light Patterson Amazon.jp $530.  So dig the different color way and milspec shit but hard to justify the cost.

Is this the right place to ask about tents?  I haven't bought one in years and have just borrowed friends but I'm hoping to camp pretty regularly once it warms up.

This is what I have: http://www.snowpeak.com/landbreeze-duo.html

they have new two person tents coming soon too, in Japan before the states. 

Salomon is great, but best for people with narrow to regular sized feet. I love their sole design and an on my second pair of Quest 4d gtx boots. Some of the lightest mountain boots you'll find.

They're very light and extremely comfortable, but I'll weigh in to say that I've had two separate leaking problems with Quest 4Ds. According to sales reps I've spoken with, the QC is pretty iffy; if you get a well made boot, awesome. Others might not fare as well.

• 4 weeks later...

What's everyone's opinion on the Vibram Cristy outsole for hiking/extremely light backpacking? Not exactly going to be scrambling up ravines but there will probably be some off trail hiking...

Really want the Mountain Light Overtons but I'm worried they're going to be a dumb impractical decision. Leaning towards these even though they have 0 aesthetic value:

http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-power-matic-200-gv-backpacking-boot-mens

The Overton is very comfy for urban environments and is fine for an impromptu hike if traction isn't an issue, but I'd just go for the original Mountain Light for a dedicated hiking boot that looks decent when cleaned up. I've been wearing the Mountain Light II for a few years now and haven't had a single complaint beyond not wearing thick enough socks for the initial break in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The quality of Klattermusen is unbelievable. A lot of my very "outdoorsy" friends here in utah wear their stuff, and when you're ice climbing in -15 and violent wind I'm pretty sure you only want the best. 

** One a separate thought,

I swear by my danner x woolrich boots for the colder months when I have to shovel my driveway and the occasional hard pack snow hikes. Good traction, very light, and warmer than normal danner lights. 

woolrich-x-danner-light-mill-street-boot

Edited by Littlest Senpai

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have good experience with dessert conditions? Most of my outdoor experience is limited to snow and summer forests of utah, but I'm planning on spending ~2-3 weeks camping in Joshua Tree over the summer. Interested in lightweight, sun/heat resistant clothes and maybe a pair of boots not as hot as my danners above. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...