Clothing for The Great Outdoors

Picked up Gramicci for the shop for SS14 shoreman,

Wasn't happy with fashion brands making simple climbing pants and shorts and the prices they were charging, so we took it back. i've handled the US goods and they aren't breath taking but at the prices they don't need to be.

that and kinda good for williamsburg hipsterz

I'm cool with it.

Did anyone ever handle the Gramicci 30th anniversary narrow pants? Think they were JP exclusive, and the US Gramicci has nothing like them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not even that their attempt at content marketing looks bad, but I'm beginning to worry about arc'teryx a little bit. Can't put my finger on exactly why, I guess I just fear they are trying to be all things to all people (bicycle commuters, joggers, skiers, climbers, tech fashion connoisseurs) which is a noble effort, but if not approached with care, a swift path to brand dilution...

Edited by RAISED BY WOLVES

I agree to an extent. So far in their core line of mountain products, the bird is still unsurpassed in their vision and uncompromising execution. However, their 24 line is becoming increasingly bland and comes off as an opportunistic attempt at getting a piece of the "i need a gtx jacket to wear to the mall and it can't be over 250 bucks" market that TNF pretty much owns. This line seems to be moving away from the bird design ethos to compete with lesser brands. I mean, arc'teryx cords? The fuck? Then on the other hand they have innovative stuff like the parsec and zenta.

Ok never thought I 'd asked but  I want a new snowboard Jacket..

For the heavy snow and off piste days I still cling to my bird (2 years old and Arc have done away the slanted zip which as a bearded person i love).Found a great insulator so for that I am good to go in the heavy region

On the lookout for something simple and black in a  GTX hardshell ( maybe even filled) for the bluebird and piste runs and maybe even on the town ..

Checked the usual suspects (Arc, Burton Patagonia)  I liked the Bionic burton 3L but I would have to see in person ,shoulder parts look a bit shiny and weird , couldn't find a nice arc that steers  further away from my other one..

Patagonia hasn't got a scratch on Arc in these product ranges..But they look too TNF..

So I am looking for some fresh ideas and companies..

Any suggestions ?? 

Ok never thought I 'd asked but  I want a new snowboard Jacket..

For the heavy snow and off piste days I still cling to my bird (2 years old and Arc have done away the slanted zip which as a bearded person i love).Found a great insulator so for that I am good to go in the heavy region

On the lookout for something simple and black in a  GTX hardshell ( maybe even filled) for the bluebird and piste runs and maybe even on the town ..

Checked the usual suspects (Arc, Burton Patagonia)  I liked the Bionic burton 3L but I would have to see in person ,shoulder parts look a bit shiny and weird , couldn't find a nice arc that steers  further away from my other one..

Patagonia hasn't got a scratch on Arc in these product ranges..But they look too TNF..

Any suggestions ?? 

I picked up a outdoor research jacket of clymb, pretty happy with it. super bomb gore shell. 

Ok never thought I 'd asked but I want a new snowboard Jacket..

On the lookout for something simple and black in a GTX hardshell ( maybe even filled) for the bluebird and piste runs and maybe even on the town ..

Checked the usual suspects (Arc, Burton Patagonia) I liked the Bionic burton 3L but I would have to see in person ,shoulder parts look a bit shiny and weird , couldn't find a nice arc that steers further away from my other one..

Any suggestions ??

You didn't like burton [ak]? I scooped one of their GTX hard shells on sale last winter and it rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Fjallraven is huge here in europe. Their pants are very nicely cut indeed and all of their stuff is bombproof. However as far as outdoor technology goes, they're living in the past. Most of their gear is heavy canvas style stuff that relies on waxing for weather resistance, takes long to dry, doesn't always pack efficiently and weighs considerably more than other high-end brands. But it does look mighty good and is built to outlast you.

Edit: i might be tempted to pick some of their pants up at a discount for hiking activities that involve daily contact with civilization, as arc'teryx and tad pants look nerdy as hell.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

^i would say there's not much in the way of "technical advancement", no... but they're very solidly built and the fabric's lightweight so they pack away rather nicely. drying didn't take so long either--definitely quicker than all my other trousers (can imagine they'd dry in under two hours in the right conditions >_>) but then i paid approximately $6USD for them. at full price it seems a tad steep, all things considered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some options for men's and women's hiking shoes/boots for light hiking?  Most common usage would be hiking in summer/autumn weather (including rainy climates) so would like them to have good traction and be waterproof/water resistant.  I've been browsing online but the number of options/brands is a bit overwhelming so just trying to narrow down the pool a bit.

Can anyone recommend some options for men's and women's hiking shoes/boots for light hiking?  Most common usage would be hiking in summer/autumn weather (including rainy climates) so would like them to have good traction and be waterproof/water resistant.  I've been browsing online but the number of options/brands is a bit overwhelming so just trying to narrow down the pool a bit.

danners