Clothing for The Great Outdoors

i just got my torrentshell in the mail - it all seems legit (tags etc) except there is no microfleece lining whatsoever on the chin/hood. the one i tried on in a store about a year ago definitely had it - is this a recent change to the jacket, or have i been duped? it is still advertised on their site too.

edit: i'm guessing its a recent downgrade they made, because i found a bunch of reviews of the female version complaining about the lack of it/false advertising:

http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-torrentshell-jacket-womens

^The one you tried on was more than likely the Rain Shadow jacket and not the Torrent Shell.

Re Manilla Field Jacket: if it's the one from the first Veilance season, then yes it'll be just fine for winter with layers underneath. The following season (S/S) they did a LT version of the Field Jacket. Even that one can be worn throughout the year as it's still a three layer proshell.

The new monitaly waxed canvas pants on context are so super dope, curious though as to how water resistant they will be.

saw them in the shop this past week....even better in person! I don't know about the waterproofness of them, but they look awesome. The wax parka is similarly amazing....I want it bad.

How's the quality on the Penfield stuff? Worth the 300 or so for the vests or jackets? Also, the knits any good? A lot of it looks really good.

I have a Penfield Hoosac jacket from last season (http://www.penfieldusa.com/us/hoosac-navy.html) and I'm crazy about it. Super warm, serious down jacket for the dead of winter. The quality is really nice.

Anyone know where I can get a Patagonia Torrentshell for a decent rate to Canada? The only places that ship to Canada charge $40-50 for shipping... ridiculous (plus full retail price)

late pass i know, but I can ship to you for just true cost-- would think on a torrentshell it would be sub $20 since it weighs nothing...we generally just stock xs-m, very few l and no xl, but have a good variety of colors in stock right now....hmu if i can help you out. The only real risk is getting customs taxed at the border.

cheers

guys any suggestions for good/simple fleece beanie, preferably with windstopper or something similar? I know they sell those military goretex watch caps but those look pretty bulky..

There are plenty of merino wool ones, get one of those. They're especially good if you're doing some outdoors activities that involve sweating and such.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

60/40 is water repellent and not a lot more. if moisture sits on it (like snow, or in that wool fabric if it gets wet) it doesn't do a lot of good — just soaks through. they've rendered the 60/40 in that parka useless.

go stand in a snowstorm in a 60/40 then report back.