Clothing for The Great Outdoors

• 2 months later...
Anyone own the patagonia torrentshell? Looking to pick one up and am a little torn on sizing.

did you ever pick one up? I picked up the torrentshell pull over when they had their 50% off sale. I think I fit somehwere bt a xs and s (5'7" 140) but got the small. length was perfect and I can fit another layer underneath and its not so bad. I fit a xs nano puff pullover and it fit perfect..

Anyone know where I can get a Patagonia Torrentshell for a decent rate to Canada? The only places that ship to Canada charge $40-50 for shipping... ridiculous (plus full retail price)

i'm in australia and got mine from ebay (although i did have a friendly du on here offer to proxy) - cost $140 US inc postage as opposed to what it sells here - $235 US.

re: sizing, they definitely fit smaller in the chest than TNF. i am an a M in north face venture and went with an L in the torrentshell - its a bit too long on the sleeves, but with a M i don't think i could layer under it. i'm 6'2/165lb for reference.

My old (5 years?) Patagonia softshell won't take NikWax anymore - shit wets out after like, 2-3 days in the rain.

Has anyone had experience with them changing out old gear for new?

I've heard they will hook you up from a few people, but its not something they advertise.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a new shell right now, but I'm also not trying to make my apartment stink of NikWax twice weekly either.

^ I had a top-of-the-line Alpine jacket from a number of years back. Went in for (free) repairs twice. The third time, they said it was toast (after 8+ years of abuse), and sent me a certificate for $650 towards any Patagonia shell. Class act.

Re what to do with your jacket: I was told to take mine to any Patagonia dealer to have them ship it back to the company. Things might have changed - just give them a call to find out.

hey Guys,

wondering if the Arcrteryx Veilance Field Jacket (manila one from a few seasons back) is fit to serve as a winder coat (in New York) with layering.

It's 3l I think, but definitely way lighter and less heavy duty than other goretex jackets I've owned.

any one use this jacket year round? I'd rather use it than spend more money on a winter coat.