Clothing for The Great Outdoors

Anyone know of any companies that manufacture fly fishing gear (jackets, vests, etc.) that don't show up on a basic google search? I'm basically looking for a wading jacket that is high-quality, but can also be worn off the stream. Barbour and Patagonia make some decent looking shit, anything else? There was a recent spread in Lightning featuring vintage fly fishing gear incase anyone missed it. Where the bumz at?

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple of Patagonia Capilene's again online. love em especially when theyre on sale. I wanna reup on a couple more of their rashguards but they only have two colors.

I've been rocking my a Northface Prophecy for about a year now, and its competent, but the fit is off enough on me as to be annoying. Thinking about picking up a patagonia torrent shell next..

Dang. That Rivendell daypack has to be one of the best offerings in that department in recent memory.

As for dude above who asked about altadena works...I've had one of the rucksacks for about 4 or 5 months now. It's pretty solid and looks great, but my one complaint is its straps. They aren't stitched on that well, and they don't feel super comfortable when bearing heavy loads. That said, it is holding up so far.

Plug, I got 2 things you guys would be interest in on eBay.

Sierra Designs 60/40 Size S

Class 5 Mountaineering Reversible Wool-60/40

yo wtf how did that 60/40 sell for $200+?

man..

Tempting. What are others' experiences ordering from Rivendell?

Might need extra rugged shoulder straps for my Metro commute. (8)

Yeah, I haven't had any luck finding a vintage daypack - and the Altadena packs seem like they are almost too stiff, like the material doesn't lay when you're wearing it. I think the Mariposa in pack cloth would be perfect for the city. Too bad he can't put a leather bottom on it.

Just out of curiosity, what size of backpacks you guys usually use in "normal life" situations?

Probably like 18-22L? And now that you mention it, the Mariposa is probably much too big for what I'm after (2040 cu. in. = 33L). The Lupine is probably a better size for daily/commuting use, closer to the Altadena packs. Too bad you can't get the Cordura bottom on it.

I hope this is the relevant thread...

I picked up an old canvas military rucksack from a surplus store. It is

very simple with leather straps stitched and or riveted in place. The bag is rather dirty, which is no big deal but it does have what appears to be rust stains. Any ideas on how to clean this up? I plan on removing alot of the leather as it is cracked and torn, with the intent to replace it.

Also, I can post pictures for those who are interested.

R

Just out of curiosity, what size of backpacks you guys usually use in "normal life" situations?

I was using a visvim K Pack (25L) before.

Now I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer in foliage.

I hope this is the relevant thread...

I picked up an old canvas military rucksack from a surplus store. It is

very simple with leather straps stitched and or riveted in place. The bag is rather dirty, which is no big deal but it does have what appears to be rust stains. Any ideas on how to clean this up? I plan on removing alot of the leather as it is cracked and torn, with the intent to replace it.

Also, I can post pictures for those who are interested.

R

there are special stain removers for all kinds of stains (apply em before throwing it in the washing mashine). just look for the one that has rust-remover on it

Went ahead and purchased one of the Waste Twice / Mount Rainier Design Works Will&G vests, received it last week.

What bugs me out is that the 60/40 material for the vest is made in the USA but another tag states that the garment is put together in China. Fit wise, I would say it runs big for it's labeled size as I went with a JP small (US extra small).

Also, the pockets by the waistline look as if they're divided but it's one large pouch on each side, which is convenient for the bullshit I gotta carry around everyday.

Besides the China debacle I'm pretty pleased with the fit and the material, I'll let you guys know how it holds up in the long run. I think I might purchase a Panamint Vest from Mt Rainier as well.

I got that Gregory black backpack today from Goodhood. It's pretty nice. 19.7L so the size is decent. I wish the pockets on the inside were a little bigger.

I haven't had a new bag in so long since my past couple have been vintage-ish, I'm not used to the straps being so stiff.

Went ahead and purchased one of the Waste Twice / Mount Rainier Design Works Will&G vests, received it last week.

What bugs me out is that the 60/40 material for the vest is made in the USA but another tag states that the garment is put together in China. Fit wise, I would say it runs big for it's labeled size as I went with a JP small (US extra small).

Also, the pockets by the waistline look as if they're divided but it's one large pouch on each side, which is convenient for the bullshit I gotta carry around everyday.

Besides the China debacle I'm pretty pleased with the fit and the material, I'll let you guys know how it holds up in the long run. I think I might purchase a Panamint Vest from Mt Rainier as well.

why is this a debacle? labour is cheaper in china but if the jacket still has decent construction i don't really see where your problem is. unless it says made in USA, then that's an attempt at fraud of course. i'd be concerned if the labels were the other way around, material from china doesn't sounds as appealing imo.

It's not enough of an issue where I would return or resell the item. But I was expecting the garment to be made in the USA due to the pictures of the tag posted on the website I purchased it from, the word 'Fabric' was nicely covered up.

13d-2.jpg